Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    No, you are not the only one. I have never understood the hate for that character. She certainly wasn't the worst. The new one seems okay so far, but we shall see.
    I liked Clara more before Smith figured out who she was. She was more interesting when she was "The Impossible Girl".

Then they rushed her reveal and it left a sour note behind. Especially coming off of Amy/Rory and Donna; all three of whom are contenders for best companion.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I liked Clara more before Smith figured out who she was. She was more interesting when she was "The Impossible Girl".

Then they rushed her reveal and it left a sour note behind. Especially coming off of Amy/Rory and Donna; all three of whom are contenders for best companion.
    For me I liked Amy/Rory, but I hated Donna. Maybe that is why I didn't have much issue with Clara since I also didn't understand the absurd love for Donna who was completely obnoxious for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me I liked Amy/Rory, but I hated Donna. Maybe that is why I didn't have much issue with Clara since I also didn't understand the absurd love for Donna who was completely obnoxious for me.
    I think people started to like Donna after she finished. She had a really good sad goodbye, which made a lot of difference. I think it had a lot more impact than some other companions leaving.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Rumour is capaldi is dying this series not at Christmas and that the 13th doctor has already been cast. If so we will have an announcement very soon
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, a lot of my love for Donna comes from two sources:

One: total lack of a romance plot. She was a friend and a companion, and by the end of the season an equal (albeit briefly), her motivations were more than just "oooh doctor, soooo dreamy".

Two: I fucking hated Catherine Tate before the season started, so I was expecting her to be super awful. When she turned out to be decidedly NOT awful, my appreciation was increased, because my expectations had been SO freaking low.

From what I've gathered, talking to my friends and a few selected random people, most peoples reasoning can be summed up to those two points as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Rumour is capaldi is dying this series not at Christmas and that the 13th doctor has already been cast. If so we will have an announcement very soon
    Kris Marshal seems to be the front runner right now, with betting closed on him recently (just like happened with Capaldi).

Also, seeing as we all but see the start of Capaldi's regeneration in the "Coming Soon" trailer at the end, I think it's safe to say we have maybe 9hrs 45mins left of Capaldi :'(. Although to be fair, that COULD be a fakeout, you never know with teasers.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Yeah it's always better when there's no potential romance bullshit. They made that impossible this time in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Tbh, a lot of my love for Donna comes from two sources:

One: total lack of a romance plot. She was a friend and a companion, and by the end of the season an equal (albeit briefly), her motivations were more than just "oooh doctor, soooo dreamy".

Two: I fucking hated Catherine Tate before the season started, so I was expecting her to be super awful. When she turned out to be decidedly NOT awful, my appreciation was increased, because my expectations had been SO freaking low.

From what I've gathered, talking to my friends and a few selected random people, most peoples reasoning can be summed up to those two points as well.
    Fair enough. Neither of those points apply to me. I am starting to form an understanding on why my opinion on the various companions seems to differ so much from a lot of others. The companions having or not having romantic undertones is pretty much irrelevant to me so it doesn't really work for or against them being good in that regard. As for Catherine Tate I was only vaguely aware of her existence prior to her role as Donna so I apparently didn't have a sufficiently low enough bar set to allow me to tolerate her existence.

Kris Marshal seems to be the front runner right now, with betting closed on him recently (just like happened with Capaldi).

Also, seeing as we all but see the start of Capaldi's regeneration in the "Coming Soon" trailer at the end, I think it's safe to say we have maybe 9hrs 45mins left of Capaldi :'(. Although to be fair, that COULD be a fakeout, you never know with teasers.
    I am quite interested in who ends up as Doctor. Capaldi wasn't bad he just felt off(Smith took a little time to grow on me but Capaldi never fully solidified for me), but I think that was more the writing rather than him. It will still be somewhat sad to see him go, but I don't think it will matter as much to me in the end unless it is a rather amazing sendoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for Catherine Tate I was only vaguely aware of her existence prior to her role as Donna so I apparently didn't have a sufficiently low enough bar set to allow me to tolerate her existence.
    Yeah... That'd do it.

I am quite interested in who ends up as Doctor. Capaldi wasn't bad he just felt off(Smith took a little time to grow on me but Capaldi never fully solidified for me), but I think that was more the writing rather than him. It will still be somewhat sad to see him go, but I don't think it will matter as much to me in the end unless it is a rather amazing sendoff.
    Yeah, Capaldi deserved SO MUCH BETTER than he got... He's a brilliant actor and is capable of delivering episodes like Heaven Sent, but his first season was a mess and Clara really had no business staying past Matt Smith. If we'd got decent writing and a better companion I think Capaldi could have been legendary, fingers crossed Bill will help him reach the height he is capable of.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

yeah, its safe to say its probably going to be him. he looks familiar but i dont know who he is like i knew capaldi
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

yeah, its safe to say its probably going to be him. he looks familiar but i dont know who he is like i knew capaldi
    He is better known for a tv show My Family.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    He is better known for a tv show My Family.
    i looked it up, i saw some of that show when i was little, i think thats where i know him from

10+ Year Old Account
    i looked it up, i saw some of that show when i was little, i think thats where i know him from
    He was also in a drama called "Death in Paradise" which he mysteriously quit, oddly close to the time Capaldi announced that he was leaving Doctor Who after this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love her for her attitude. She was sweet and caring, but didn't take no shit from no one; least of all the Doctor.

And, yes, the absence of a romance undertone after having three back-to-back companions fall head over heels for him was VERY MUCH NEEDED. She was a best friend, not a girl he was trying to impress.

Nah, it's just space oil mimicing the Doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Nah, it's just space oil mimicing the Doctor.
    Hahaha, that would be one hell of a fakeout... Although I'm not sure Space Oil could mimic the particular sparkle you only get when a Timelord regenerates.

I guess we have about 10hrs till we find out.

I am getting a Peter Davison vibe from the images of Kris Marshal (although his look seems to vary a lot). Maybe because it's a younger look proceeding and older Doctor (if they decide to cast him).

I dont like his looks or his voice and he is to old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, episode two was... Ok. Not great, but decent; a solid 7/10. Bill is still great, Capaldi was on top form, but the plot was a bit myeh so there was only so much they could do with it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After two episodes it's quite clear why Capaldi doesn't want to continue.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    After two episodes it's quite clear why Capaldi doesn't want to continue.
    Oh? He didn't seem particularly bummed about this one. It wasn't the best story, but it certainly wasn't the worst either.