Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? I mean, I've been watching since... Basically ever. My mother is a HUGE fan, and had a bunch of episodes of VHS (showing my age...) that I would watch over and over growing up... But honestly, WTF does that have to do with my comments? Watching longer doesn't make you any more or less able to comment on stuff that is as yet undesclosed. If it were a Lore question, or a history of Who question sure, THEN watching for a long time makes sense... But we're talking about new companions, to a new Doctor, with a new show runner. Prior history doesn't really factor in, IMO.

Tbh, uninteresting backstories do suck a bit, I'll give you that. Again though, I have to say I would rather have a character that was excellent IN the show, but has a slightly a dull backstory (token cockney #7164) than a character with a exquisitely crafted backstory and a depth of Lore that would make Tolkien cry, that just stood there doing nothing in every episode.

Also: Alien doesn't necessarily mean interesting. You can give great backstories and characters to human characters, and you can give dull AF backstories to interesting characters.
    I apologised later in my statement i really am sorry about what i said

But when you have a character that isnt supposed to be human but hangs around humans so much especially modern day humans the whole thing stinks of cheapness and lack of imagination from the writers and thats what gets to me.

I know the BBC cant really afford a show like Dr WHo but even back in the so called bad days they still had writers who could write around budget restraints and write somewhat decent characters.

I know i dont know all the facts and if those characters turn out to be more than just modern day humans i will eat my hat if i had one!

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    .... Jack was human.
    Not really, hes not from Earth and he's from the far future. He technically might be human in his time but he's not from Earth and he's now a living fixed point in time and we have no clue what that's done to his biology

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, but he's from another time, so he is a sort of time-alien to contemporary london time.
    Jack isn't from earth, he's from bo, he was the first time agent from bo that's why he's the face of bo
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Not really, hes not from Earth
    WRONG!
    jack IS from EARTH from the PAST.

Jack isn't from earth, he's from bo, he was the first time agent from bo that's why he's the face of bo
    thats what you wish perhaps but you got nothing to prove that CLAIM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatAgain666 View Post
    But when you have a character that isnt supposed to be human but hangs around humans so much especially modern day humans the whole thing stinks of cheapness and lack of imagination from the writers and thats what gets to me.
    I see it like Thor. Sure he's an immortal godlike alien with insane powers... but he LOVES Earth and he loves Humans, so it makes sense he'd want to hang around with some. Plus, I think he digs the "I'm sooo smart! Let me explain space and time travel to you!"
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    WRONG!

Uh, jack himself says that in the series 3 finale.. and then 10 and Martha laugh about it because they realize jack was the face of boo and he becomes a giant head
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    WRONG!

Jack is a time traveling agent who got stuck in london during WW2.
    Jack is from the BO peninsula some where in space, he was the poster boy for that peninsula and they used to call him "The face of BO" where you understand who the face of BO actually is.
    Since jack is kinda immortal i guess over the millions of years he just turns in to this giant head thing alien.

Deleted
    I always thought Jack was a pirate.

costume reveal

- - - Updated - - -

its kind of um... idk, bland? i was expecting something a bit more doctory

It's a difficult problem - how would a female Doctor dress? Is she going to de-accentuate her sex because she's The Doctor? Or is the story looking to embrace it?

To me, the costume looks like she's a huge nerd and not really thinking about herself as a woman. I imagine that'll be part of the storyline.

Jacket and shirt are fine. It's those suspenders and stupid trousers that look like something my grandpa would wear.

The doctor has spent thousands of years as a man and has paid little attention to what anyone else is wearing. I basically think of 12 trying to figure out an outfit for Clara to wear. I think they nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a difficult problem - how would a female Doctor dress? Is she going to de-accentuate her sex because she's The Doctor? Or is the story looking to embrace it?

To me, the costume looks like she's a huge nerd and not really thinking about herself as a woman. I imagine that'll be part of the storyline.
    i wouldnt be surprised if the entire first episode she doesnt even realize hes turned into a woman. maybe at the climax have the doctor say something like "im the smartest man in the universe" and everyone looks at her funny and they realize they turned into a woman

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Jacket and shirt are fine. It's those suspenders and stupid trousers that look like something my grandpa would wear.
    i see teens wearing those all the time though. suspenders are back in fashion because of hipsters

i wouldnt be surprised if the entire first episode she doesnt even realize hes turned into a woman. maybe at the climax have the doctor say something like "im the smartest man in the universe" and everyone looks at her funny and they realize they turned into a woman
    I think she'll figure it out right off. The doctor always touches himself all over when he regenerates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk Imagine she's going to be quite surprised when she feels herself up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

I mean you can be feminine and still a nerd.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look, they nailed it. Do you know what this costume is? Classic Doctor. It blends elements of 4 and 5 with a dash of quirky from 11 adding a twist of 70's womens 'blousers' (made up term to speak to flowy pants of that material).

The point isn't to be feminine or sexy, just to be a classic take on the Doctor. I love it, to be honest...see her more now in the role than I did from the modern hoodie in the earlier promos.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if the Tardis becomes a he or stays a she.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Look, they nailed it. Do you know what this costume is? Classic Doctor. It blends elements of 4 and 5 with a dash of quirky from 11 adding a twist of 70's womens 'blousers' (made up term to speak to flowy pants of that material).

The point isn't to be feminine or sexy, just to be a classic take on the Doctor. I love it, to be honest...see her more now in the role than I did from the modern hoodie in the earlier promos.
    i dont want it to be feminine or sexy. i just feel like its a little bland. id have preferred if there were a bit more of the rainbow motif (not as much as six but a bit more than whats there) or maybe something on the back of her jacket we cant see or on the sleeves

maybe ill feel different once i see her whooshing around in it but i dont look at that costume and think doctor. maybe they can just shove a vegetable on it, every doctor has that THING that even if the outfit were normal makes them kind of stick out.

2 has the bowtie and flute, 3 has that big floofy bit in his jacket and the bright red clashing against the black, 4 has that goofy hat and the scarf and the jelly babies, 5 has a vegetable, 6 is well.. 6, 7 has his question mark thing, ect ect

maybe they could give her a hat? or maybe something she could carry around like a walking stick or maybe they could give her a "sonic" bag that could be her gimmick where its the classic endless bag trope (except this bag is bigger on the inside!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. It really hits the "Mad Alien in a Box" vibe that the Doctor needs... If they could just make the trousers about 2 inches longer, the outfit would be perfect.

Also, I was thinking of swapping out my belt for some braces, if Doctor Who makes them cool again, then I totally will!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I like it. It really hits the "Mad Alien in a Box" vibe that the Doctor needs... If they could just make the trousers about 2 inches longer, the outfit would be perfect.

Also, I was thinking of swapping out my belt for some braces, if Doctor Who makes them cool again, then I totally will!
    I personally don't like it. It feels like an amalgamation of shitty Doctor Who cosplay. She does not even have her own style.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I personally don't like it. It feels like an amalgamation of shitty Doctor Who cosplay. She does not even have her own style.
    Give her time. Capaldi's first outfit was a bit dodgy, but over time he adjusted it a bit and by the end it looked better. I'm guessing this is just the first iteration of her outfit, and it'll evolve over time.