Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I'm pretty excited. I'm a bit worried how the 3 companions at once are going to work out, but I'll give it a chance.
    I think the show tends to do better with more companions rather than less. It's sorta like running around with different companions in Mass Effect or something, you get different experiences and reactions because they each feel differently about the Doctor and about the situation in question. Conflict between companions is always more interesting than conflict between the Doctor and one companion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    theres not many. even in classic who they were mostly modern day brits. there are outliers like leela and romana but to act like they were the norm is kind of ridiculous. would i prefer a companion from the past or the future or an alien? sure, im not gonna expect that though.

- - - Updated - - -

also heres the actual trailer

is it right to say non-modern-brits were outliers? I only know (mostly) up through tom baker but many of the companions were non-modern-brits, certainly more than 'outliers' implies.

iirc all of jon pertwee's were either from UNIT or sarah jane smith?, so all modern brits, but

After sarah jane left, baker had the warrior woman (this is who he married right?) who was from some other place iirc, then some more later?

but at the end of 2nd dr, patrick troughton had Jamie (18th cent. scot) and zoe (from the 21st century)

how about others. I don't know hartnell episodes but have read his first one was from his race and his granddaughter.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-20 at 04:58 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

also the doctors new sonic is so cool! it looks like an alien technology instead of something ripped off a machine a mad scientist in the 60s would have lol

i know what im buying myself for christmas this year

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that new Sonic looks excellent. VERY Sci Fi.

The trailer was good, not sold on the accent, but I'm sure I'll warm to it. Hope they have an Ecclestone throwback (lots of places have a north!).

Can't wait for the new run to kick off now!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    is it right to say non-modern-brits were outliers? I only know (mostly) up through tom baker but many of the companions were non-modern-brits, certainly more than 'outliers' implies.

iirc all of jon pertwee's were either from UNIT or sarah jane smith?, so all modern brits, but

After sarah jane left, baker had the warrior woman (this is who he married right?) who was from some other place iirc, then some more later?

but at the end of 2nd dr, patrick troughton had Jamie (18th cent. scot) and zoe (from the 21st century)

how about others. I don't know hartnell episodes but have read his first one was from his race and his granddaughter.
    the first doctors first companions were 2 modern day brits and his granddaughter.

and even the times they have been aliens i dont recall one ever looking like an actual alien (probably not just a cost thing but also an actor thing, nobody likes having to put on makeup/prosthetics and doctor who is a very demanding/physical job compared to alot of acting jobs, although thats more true now then it was then)

i remember when everyone though bills was going to be from the 80s, that wouldve been really cool. so far the only companion whos not modern day has been jack atleast in new who.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Shit ! That reminds me i still haven't seen the season 10 !

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeah that new Sonic looks excellent. VERY Sci Fi.

The trailer was good, not sold on the accent, but I'm sure I'll warm to it. Hope they have an Ecclestone throwback (lots of places have a north!).

Can't wait for the new run to kick off now!
    i love how in the trailer atleast it feels like the doctor just ran into these people and was like "hey! wanna be my bestest friends? i have a time machine!" like some dumb 6 year old on the playground.

feels very happy go lucky which is nice. i feel like quite a bit of the scifi and fantasy thats been releasing lately has been very "dark" and melodramatic lately, not that i dont like that from time to time but we had alot of dark with 11 and then even more with 12 its nice for everything to feel a bit cheery for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    It's probably Capaldi's better season, but it's still eeeeeh. You can tell Moffatt really tried pushing the writing and ideas for his last season though, considering he's been bouncing off rock bottom since season 7.

maybe if you took some time out of your day from swimming in that damn pool you'd have time to watch doctor who uncle scrooge

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's probably Capaldi's better season, but it's still eeeeeh. You can tell Moffatt really tried pushing the writing and ideas for his last season though, considering he's been bouncing off rock bottom since season 7.
    Good, i liked the season 9, the last episode (special of christmas of whatever) was the one with Alex Kingston no?

maybe if you took some time out of your day from swimming in that damn pool you'd have time to watch doctor who uncle scrooge
    Buuuuuut money ! I know ! I will call Donald to help me ! He has heavy debts toward me so...

Good, i liked the season 9, the last episode (special of christmas of whatever) was the one with Alex Kingston no?
    Yeah, that was a pretty good episode tbh. Season 9 was alright, but 7-9 i lost massive interest because the show had just gotten stale. Moffatt should have gone a loooong while ago imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    the first doctors first companions were 2 modern day brits and his granddaughter.

and even the times they have been aliens i dont recall one ever looking like an actual alien (probably not just a cost thing but also an actor thing, nobody likes having to put on makeup/prosthetics and doctor who is a very demanding/physical job compared to alot of acting jobs, although thats more true now then it was then)

i remember when everyone though bills was going to be from the 80s, that wouldve been really cool. so far the only companion whos not modern day has been jack atleast in new who.
    Here is a list, which may help us address the issue

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_companions

First doctor has 10 listed and just based on this, half are definitely non-modern-brits (and many are humans from extrasolar locations, e.g. crashland in 25th century on planet x, or planet y, or handmaiden from ancient Troy, or a space security agent from the 40th century).

all 3 new (some carried over) troughton companions are non-modern brits, though of course his are wiped and returned at the end of his period. [an aside- still seems a rather grim fate for late 60's family hour]

all 3 pertwee comp. ARE modern brits.

most baker companions are non-modern brits. I counted sarah jane with pertwee already but it woudn't matter as far as 'most.' I am not even counting K-9

so few new companions were used for davison-fwd that I bet you half or more classic dr. who companions were non-modern brits. Just eyeballing it, maybe 1/3 were extrasolar humans & a few 'aliens'?, 1/6? non-late-20th-cent terrans, and the rest from contemporary Britain.

this is hardly an outlier. Why do you say that saying they were the norm is ridiculous? Outlier has a pretty specific meaning and it is hard to see how this meets it.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-20 at 02:38 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Yeah, that was a pretty good episode tbh. Season 9 was alright, but 7-9 i lost massive interest because the show had just gotten stale. Moffatt should have gone a loooong while ago imo.
    I very liked seasons 7-9
    An ex-girlfriend who was obsessed with England initiated me to Doctor Who, and i must say i never got disappointed (altough i admit i only whatched the second series).
    My favorite episodes were The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (season 1) and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (season 4), altough the season 4 is a masterpiece by itself; and of course the emotionals episodes of the season 6 when we learn the true identity of River Song.

I should rewatch the series instead of making Fallout 4 screens and farming GTA V for the next update

i really really like jodie so far which is strange for me because for a long time i was against a female doctor. i like having a big group in the tardis, i loved when 9 had jack and rose and when 10 had mickey, and i liked when 11 and the gang all ran about.

theres something nice about having a family unit, sure the doctor and his best, secret, super special bud is cool and all but we had that with clara and bill and a bit with amy too so im glad to see a group together and we havent had one this big since classic who
    Even in those situations it always felt like there was a main companion though. I'm probably being no better than the people bitching about "change is scary" regarding a female doctor with my feelings about multiple companions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I think the show tends to do better with more companions rather than less. It's sorta like running around with different companions in Mass Effect or something, you get different experiences and reactions because they each feel differently about the Doctor and about the situation in question. Conflict between companions is always more interesting than conflict between the Doctor and one companion.
    I'm sure it will be wonderful, my main fear would be that the episode time will be more consumed by what shenanigans the companions will be up to. Similar to how Arrow was the last time I watched. So many personalities all needed screen time to the point episodes had little Oliver in them.

That accent is a yikes from me dawg.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I very liked seasons 7-9
    An ex-girlfriend who was obsessed with England initiated me to Doctor Who, and i must say i never got disappointed (altough i admit i only whatched the second series).
    My favorite episodes were The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (season 1) and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (season 4), altough the season 4 is a masterpiece by itself; and of course the emotionals episodes of the season 6 when we learn the true identity of River Song.

I should rewatch the series instead of making Fallout 4 screens and farming GTA V for the next update
    Season 4 and 5 were probably my favourite. The Doctor and Donna were such a good combo, along with Rose coming back in that season it was amazing (plus i got to see the episodes early so that was kinda special for me). Season 5 was just so magical as well, it felt fresh and new. After that though.... I swear Moffat used all his visionary powers for that season xD

10+ Year Old Account
    i love how in the trailer atleast it feels like the doctor just ran into these people and was like "hey! wanna be my bestest friends? i have a time machine!" like some dumb 6 year old on the playground.
    Yeah, I kinda hope she just... Turns up, in their lives, and refuses to leave. So they get dragged into all these odd adventures more by proximity than any real CHOICE. I think it would make for a fun dynamic, especially with Bradley Cooper apparently taking on the "Father" role for the group, leaving The Doctor free to be a bit of a nutter.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    you mean like allready been posted here before it started:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    I am normally not a fan of twitch but fuck me:
    theres a 7 week marathon of classic Who comming to twitch
    https://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/a...-week-marathon

(and yes its all official and nothing shady )

lets hope they dont use geoblocking and I am happy for 7 weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    since yesterday, twitch present will show all of torchwood every sunday .)
    - - - Updated - - -

Judging by the trailers I like the companions better then the new doctor, I still wish they would have gone with a BETTER actress then Jodie but they probably couldnt afford anyone else....(I watched her in Trust me and damn she was so horrible wooden....)

also the doctors new sonic is so cool! it looks like an alien technology instead of something ripped off a machine a mad scientist in the 60s would have lol
    Tbh that looks more like a Toy for women if you are old enough to know what I mean....

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh that looks more like a Toy for women if you are old enough to know what I mean....
    Considering how many people made that EXACT joke as soon as the new Doctor was revealed... I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the show runners leaning into the skid and embracing the joke.

Looks like your not the only one to make that comparison.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?