Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I don't think John Carpenter ever talked about it, no. Would be interesting to see if it influenced him tho.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start already!

*breaks down in tears*

Friendly bump / reminder that the new series starts sunday.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finally finished tom baker who yesterday with logopolis.

Peter Davison (I believe) has said that Teegan was added because the show was doing well in australia so they needed an australian, and obviously it needed to be someone very annoying. Have I mentioned she needs to get to LHR to catch her flight?

I actually find Adric much less annoying here and in Keeper of Traaken then previously.

I thought the master was weak in terms of acting, they tried to make him similar (visually too) to Roger Delgado but this guy just couldn't pull it off as well, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Friendly bump / reminder that the new series starts sunday.
    Looking forward to reports on how the doctor without daft and idiosyncracy, but greater relatability, works over the coming season.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I finally finished tom baker who yesterday with logopolis.

Peter Davison (I believe) has said that Teegan was added because the show was doing well in australia so they needed an australian, and obviously it needed to be someone very annoying. Have I mentioned she needs to get to LHR to catch her flight?

I actually find Adric much less annoying here and in Keeper of Traaken then previously.

I thought the master was weak in terms of acting, they tried to make him similar (visually too) to Roger Delgado but this guy just couldn't pull it off as well, imo
    Tegan started out OK but I liked her a lot more once she was paired with 5.

The concept of Adric was to be a young thief that caused trouble by being disobedient, with Tegan to rein him in. But Matthew Waterhouse really couldn't pull that off as an actor.

Anthony Ainley isn't a good actor by any means, but he loved the role.

5 was stellar as a Doctor, Tegan was a good companion, Nyssa and the Master both felt like they were wooden and just reading their lines, and Adric was miscast IMO. They kinda recast Adric with Turlough later on, as he also was designed as a companion being disobedient.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-10-07 at 12:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tegan started out OK but I liked her a lot more once she was paired with 5.

The concept of Adric was to be a young thief that caused trouble by being disobedient, with Tegan to rein him in. But Matthew Waterhouse really couldn't pull that off as an actor.

Anthony Ainley isn't a good actor by any means, but he loved the role.

5 was stellar as a Doctor, Tegan was a good companion, Nyssa and the Master both felt like they were wooden and just reading their lines, and Adric was miscast IMO. They kinda recast Adric with Turlough later on, as he also was designed as a companion being disobedient.
    Also, K-9 was initially disobedient - remember him leaving the tardis against instructions in Underworld? The dog that didn't stay!

I am just starting on Davison stories so have no informed opinion at this point, but I may soon
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    new doctor, pretty good. i think she'll grow into the role nicely.

the companions (or best friends as they're calling them now) were what really set the show above previous series, really well written. strong performances from Yas in particular. and the grandpa.

the show felt more grounded in reality and the cinematic style felt really good.
    Hi

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    new doctor, pretty good. i think she'll grow into the role nicely.

the companions (or best friends as they're calling them now) were what really set the show above previous series, really well written. strong performances from Yas in particular. and the grandpa.

the show felt more grounded in reality and the cinematic style felt really good.
    couldn't agree more. Jodie Whittaker has made a great start to her run as The Doctor.

Fantastic episode. You can tell the giant shift in direction from the switch in well, everything with the show. I love what they are doing with it, and honestly, is a giant breath of fresh air after the past few seasons.

As for the doctor herself, I feel a lot of 10 in her performance and I just adore it.

Companions were about on par for what I expected. Yaz is doing great, old dude kinda eh, young dude is okay in my opinion.

I sorta feel bad for all the people who jumped ship cause the doctor suddenly doesn't have a dick anymore. They are really going to miss out.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2018-10-08 at 02:49 AM.

I just cant take Bradley Walsh seriously as an actor. Jodie seemed ok, not sure if she was trying too hard to be wacky, but that may just be the new body confusion sillyness for now.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Fantastic episode. You can tell the giant shift in direction from the switch in well, everything with the show. I love what they are doing with it, and honestly, is a giant breath of fresh air after the past few seasons.

As for the doctor herself, I feel a lot of 10 in her performance and I just adore it.

Companions were about on par for what I expected. Yaz is doing great, old dude kinda eh, young dude is okay in my opinion.

I sorta feel bad for all the people who jumped ship cause the doctor suddenly doesn't have a dick anymore. They are really going to miss out.
    Well the Doctor was a male role model, and boys are cruel, so he will never be a male role model ever again. Any boy that pretends to be the Doctor will get mercilessly mocked by his peers for pretending to be a girl, even if the character later regenerates into a man again. That's how boys are. The show will need to exclusively cater to an adult audience because boys just don't watch TV shows where a woman is the lead. If you look at a list of TV shows men watch, not a single one has a female lead.

They crossed the rubicon. No going back. Its is forever an adult show going forward. (unless they cater to girls but I don't think it will happen).

I was pleasantly surprised. I always meant to give it a chance but had my doubts tbh. The villain wasn't very good sadly but the supporting cast is a step above the norm. Jodie had the manic energy needed for the role but we'll have to see how she rounds out the character. So far pretty good. Can't wait for the next one and that's about as good a review as you can get.

Well the Doctor was a male role model, and boys are cruel, so he will never be a male role model ever again. Any boy that pretends to be the Doctor will get mercilessly mocked by his peers for pretending to be a girl, even if the character later regenerates into a man again. That's how boys are. The show will need to exclusively cater to an adult audience because boys just don't watch TV shows where a woman is the lead. If you look at a list of TV shows men watch, not a single one has a female lead.

They crossed the rubicon. No going back. Its is forever an adult show going forward. (unless they cater to girls but I don't think it will happen).
    So boys won't watch this show because the doctor is a she and for no other reason? Seems like a parenting problem if this is a serious thing, because girls don't stray away from a show because the lead is a dude.

All in all it was a decent start and I think Jodie will fit well into the role - she brings the right energy to it. Not a fan of the fashion choices for her character but it has a bit of the whimsy feel that Tom had without being loud like Colin.
    Have to say I'm looking forward to next week, if for anything to see the opening sequence that if it aired I somehow managed to miss it not once but twice (watched the global premiere some 7ish hours earlier - wasn't going to miss TWD tonight even for Jodie).

So boys won't watch this show because the doctor is a she and for no other reason? Seems like a parenting problem if this is a serious thing, because girls don't stray away from a show because the lead is a dude.
    Times are changing. Girls shows are becoming a lot like boys ones, with themes that used to be for boys only. Girls shows aren’t about magic princesses anymore.

As more women participate in these themes, I’m sure the split will die out. Will the princess shows still exist? Maybe, but they’re not as popular as they used to be.

The show will need to exclusively cater to an adult audience because boys just don't watch TV shows where a woman is the lead. If you look at a list of TV shows men watch, not a single one has a female lead.
    So I should stop watching shows like Bones (which has a female lead, and is the titular character as well) because i'm male?

Does that mean I have to destroy my copy of Wonder Women? Does that mean I can't watch Captain Marvel next year?

Okay then.
    Last edited by Volardelis; 2018-10-08 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    So I should stop watching shows like Bones (which as a female lead, and is the titular character as well) because i'm male?

Okay then.
    Didn't say that. The demographics will narrow considerably tho. The show will have to work very hard to draw in women and the quality must be higher than it ever needed to be before, because the male demo just doesn't tune in to shows with female leads. Its going to be very hard now.

Didn't say that. The demographics will narrow considerably tho. The show will have to work very hard to draw in women and the quality must be higher than it ever needed to be before, because the male demo just doesn't tune in to shows with female leads. Its going to be very hard now.
    But you said males don't watch TV shows that have a female lead.

Therefore I can't watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    But you said males don't watch TV shows that have a female lead.

Therefore I can't watch them.
    The bullshit he is trying to peddle is that "little boys" wont watch a show with a woman lead, therefor, the show is only an adult show. Since you are an adult you are fine to watch it, but little you would not watch it cause the lead isn't a penis wielder.

It is fucking stupid and an appeal to emotion. "Why won't anyone think of the little boys????" when trying to say it will have trouble staying afloat when the show is carried by adults when it comes to making money. The fanbase for doctor who is overwhelmingly adult rofl.

7+ Year Old Account
    You'd think that people would realize the whole "guys don't like shows where the lead characters are female" thing was bullshit. This whole decade proved that.