Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    IMO it was already seeded in the first season, I think she already fancied the 9th doctor even if it wasn't explicitly told.

That said, Martha was amazing too. Would have loved to see her longer and at first I didn't like Donna at all. Looking back now Donna is actually the best companion NuWho every had.
    they definitely hinted a crush there, but possibly because of how Ecleston was playing the Doctor, it personaly didn't bother me as much as it did with Tennant.

also - same on Donna. when she first showed up, I really didn't like her, but she grew on me to the point where she is tied for a fave with Martha for me.

P.S. I did like Bad Wolf as well, honestly, I wish we could see Donna and Martha with Nine... it would have been amazing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    tied for a fave with Martha for me.
    If you want more of her try The Year of Martha Jones. BigFinish also hired Eccleston for 2 seasons of which the first is already available.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you want more of her try The Year of Martha Jones. BigFinish also hired Eccleston for 2 seasons of which the first is already available.
    oh, nice thank you!

At the end of RTDs first run, he was turning Doctor Who into Marvel Comics, with 10 leaping out of a spaceship, crashing to earth thru a glass ceiling and landing unharmed, with the Master shooting lightning out of his hands. These were superheroes and supervillains. I wonder if he will continue in that direction.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    RIP Bernard Cribbins

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    RIP Bernard Cribbins
    the 60th anniversary will be his last role

excited to see ncuti gatwa, dont know how i feel about the rumours that 13 turns back into 10 before turning into 14 and the fact that so far 10 is the only confirmed returning actor

however if rose is really donnas daughter id love that even if they have to wibbly wobbly how she was able to remember rose, i always hated that donna had to forget anyways though

- - - Updated - - -

could also just end up being 10.5
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ratings for the series 12 finale were terrible. It pulled a 3.78 overnight which is the second lowest for the series, only higher than last week.

Some have speculated that with the ratings so terrible, they are going to have to break the emergency glass to attract an audience. That means series 13 *must* bring back David Tennant, Matt Smith, Billie Piper, etc. *If* they can get them. I mean I doubt they can get Karen Gillan (shes too big of a star now) nor Chris Eccelston (he hates Doctor Who). Its an interesting theory I've heard so I thought I'd mention it here and see if it actually happens. Speculation also is that series 13 will release in fall 2021, which makes sense of course.
    the speculations seem to have been pretty close. not series 13 but immediately after.

- - - Updated - - -

They announce that Gatwa will play the first gay Doctor, and one companion will be the first trans companion.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...st-gay-doctor/
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bringing Tennant and Piper is always possible, both characters still exist in a parallel universe.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

The trailer for the next episode of Doctor Who has been released. It airs October 23rd, 2022. they call it the "centenary special" because it is part of the 100th anniversary of the BBC, founded October 18th, 2022. Or should I say 18 October, 2022? Rumors of Tennant or other doctors being in this episode abound!

Last edited by Kokolums; 2022-10-09 at 04:09 AM.

the speculations seem to have been pretty close. not series 13 but immediately after.

- - - Updated - - -

They announce that Gatwa will play the first gay Doctor, and one companion will be the first trans companion.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...st-gay-doctor/
    I... could have sworn that doctor was implied to be at least Bi long before? its just the vibe I got from 9th flirtation with Jack.

The trailer for the next episode of Doctor Who has been released. It airs October 23rd, 2022. they call it the "centenary special" because it is part of the 100th anniversary of the BBC, founded October 18th, 2022. Or should I say 18 October, 2022? Rumors of Tennant or other doctors being in this episode abound!
    Tbh I am most excited for McShane.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    they definitely hinted a crush there, but possibly because of how Ecleston was playing the Doctor, it personaly didn't bother me as much as it did with Tennant.

also - same on Donna. when she first showed up, I really didn't like her, but she grew on me to the point where she is tied for a fave with Martha for me.

P.S. I did like Bad Wolf as well, honestly, I wish we could see Donna and Martha with Nine... it would have been amazing IMO.
    Yeah, Donna, Mikey, Amy, River, a few others grow on us over time.
    On the other hand, I couldn't care less for all the rag-tag "fam" gang.
    I don't even remember their names, sides caustic and obnoxious YAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    the finale has me excited, Daleks and Cybermen tend to do that though. Sad that Jodie's time as Doctor was filled with just the absolute worst writing, so much lost potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfect last minute of the episode!

Rest of the episode was a jumbled mess as we've come to expect, Dan and yaz's leaving wasn't emotional or heart breaking like Rose,Martha,Donna,Amy,Clara or bill ... it was just "k cya" i only noticed Dan wasn't in 90% of the episode when he turned up in the end, that's how little his character mattered.

Just putting the past 4 years behind me and pretending it never existed :P

Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2022-10-23 at 08:22 PM.

the Chibnall era didnt create interesting characters. i cant really describe jodie's doctor or any of her companions.

i would have liked to see sean pertwee play 3 in this story.

- - - Updated - - -

to reiterate what is actually happening in recent years with regards to Doctor Who.

1. ratings have collapsed from 11 million to start Jodie Whittaker's run to like i dunno 2-3 million at the end.
    2. at the same time, budgets increased to keep up with special effects standards.
    3. it appears (in my opinion) that the BBC doesnt want to foot the bill for producing Doctor Who with such low ratings.
    4. Sony came out of the blue and purchased a majority stake in Bad Wolf for $60 million pounds, which is the name of Russell T. Davies production company.
    5. the BBC then handed Doctor Who production duties to Bad Wolf, which helps reduce the cost to the BBC while losing out on lots of revenue.
    6. Sony seeks to grow global demand for Doctor Who, so they reach back to the most successful period of the show and hire Russell T. Davies as showrunner and David Tennant as the Doctor.
    7. this is likely the "final shot" Doctor Who will get. If Sony fails in this endeavor, control will revert back to the BBC which would IMO likely shelve the program for years.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...ol-newsupdate/

I'm glad to see the back of Chibnall, he totally missed what made the show good and great at times! I've not watched it since near the end his first season, but the episode last night reminded me what I didn't like with it's dullness in both action and dialog and was not in keeping with a Doctor's swansong at all.

I'm not going to comment on the cast because you can't polish a turd!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Doctor Who will now go on a break for 13 months. Doctor Who will return in the form of 3 specials in November 2023.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/three-t...cials-in-2023/

.... three episodes set to air in November next year....How, what, why? We’re giving you a year to speculate, and then all hell lets loose.

Good riddance, I say. I managed 3 episodes of the Whittaker run and then I just lost interest completely and never came back. I gave them every chance, and they showed me NOTHING to want to keep watching. The Capaldi run already had me on the cusp of quitting. It wasn't exactly a particularly amazing period, and then it just went downhill from there.

The Tennant return is likely to be very fanservice-y, but fine, I'll let them hook me. It was my favorite Doctor. I'll have to see what happens next, but RTD coming back is a good sign.

thanks to the Disney plus deal, Doctor Who is set for a massive influx of cash. $100 million pounds per season. It sounds like Sony and Disney want to try to make Doctor Who the next Marvel Universe.

https://gizmodo.com/doctor-who-budge...ies-1849752543

Doctor Who Could Start Looking Way More Expensive Thanks to That Disney Deal
    A new industry report alleges a major spending bump is on the way for the show, thanks to the House of Mouse.

ByJames Whitbrook
    Published Today 12:46PM

Doctor Who has long had a proud history of trying to do a lot with very little money, and while gone are the days of wobbly cardboard sets and whatever the hell Erato the Creature from the Pit was, even to this day the show often has ideas much larger than a BBC budget can imagine. That might be about to change in a big way.

A new report from UK TV industry press site Broadcast claims that the BBC’s recent deal with Disney—granting the House of Mouse worldwide streaming rights to the series outside of the UK and Ireland from 2023 onwards—could see Doctor Who’s budget raise from its current approximate $1.1-3.4 million per episode to approximately $11.5 millon per episode when filming begins for the show’s 14th season, starring Ncuti Gatwa as the 15th Doctor.

Sources speaking to Broadcast allege that the budget increase is a play to bring Doctor Who to more mainstream audiences again, now that is competing in an age of lavish genre TV productions backed by powerhouses like HBO, Netflix, and Amazon. While not reaching the giddy highs of budgets for recent series like House of the Dragon (which purportedly cost around $20m per episode), Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (an eye-watering $50-80m per episode) or the fourth season of Stranger Things ($30m per episode), it marks a major financial boost for a show that has long been defined by its budgetary constraints. Further plans could also see Doctor Who re-attempt to spin off into a franchise of multiple shows, akin to returning showrunner Russell T. Davies’ previous attempts with series like Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

What’s not mentioned in Broadcast’s report is if this financial injection from Disney comes with any creative control for the megastudio, as previously claimed in reports from British newspaper the Telgraph. “The BBC had to make the decision for the future success of Doctor Who because any show of scale needs a partner,” one undisclosed source told Broadcast. “Reliability is the most important factor irrespective of how many episodes you make or who the Doctor is. If you can bring in a single partner with one distribution agreement, while retaining exclusivity in the UK, that is the best of both worlds for the BBC.”

Doctor Who will return for a trio of three episodes in November 2023 to celebrate its 60th anniversary, starring David Tennant as the 14th Doctor, before returning during the holiday season and in 2024 with new star Ncuti Gatwa.

Having lots of money is always good, but that's not the most important thing Doctor Who needs imo. Let's hope it stays a British show and they hire good writers. What's Mark Gatiss doing these days?

That said, 10m per episode on a streaming service could be spent to change up the format a bit. Go back to 25 minute episodes. Produce 4x25 to be shown at the same day, they could even air a new block only every two weeks this way to take a little pressure out of production. Sell the show to affiliates not allowing them to show ads within an episode but only between every 25mins to recoup some money and keep the story intact.

Whatever they do, I hope they realize good stories make Dr Who, not production value.