Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I was reticent and at first I thought I didn't like it. Then I thought about it; RTD got away with the standard Sci fi tropes of old Who when he brought it back because it had been off air for decades. Then it became staler and staler. He has begun injecting something different into it so it can be a bit fresh while mainting the original requirements of it being about the Companion and the Doctor, plenty of sci fi and some comedy and tragedy sprinkled in.

As for the gloves, they were a mcguffin. They did what they needed to do because it's Doctor Who.

And I haven't yet seen Rose in the trailer. Where was she?

EDIT: Ah Noble, not Tyler. Phew!
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I was reticent and at first I thought I didn't like it. Then I thought about it; RTD got away with the standard Sci fi tropes of old Who when he brought it back because it had been off air for decades. Then it became staler and staler. He has begun injecting something different into it so it can be a bit fresh while mainting the original requirements of it being about the Companion and the Doctor, plenty of sci fi and some comedy and tragedy sprinkled in.
    Yeah, I guess turning him into a cold-blooded murderer definitely injects something new into the show. Same with virtually raping the TARDIS in the previous episode (when he forced her to reproduce without her consent, knowing full well that she has a consciousness and personality).

Nice one, I enjoyed the episode.

I was a little disturbed by him straight up murdering the Goblin King after being amazed about him existing just minutes earlier. I hope that has long term repercussions in his first full season. Didn't like that one bit. What I did like was that slapping song. So catchy while lyrics are rather questionable.

Ruby and her family is very likeable, great performance by Michelle Greenidge. That difference between not/having Ruby in her life. I also liked how The Doctor did not go after Rubys mother at the church. We'll find out who that was soon enough. We'll also find out who that old neighbor is, hopefully that quip wasn't just a careless 4th wall break.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Nice one, I enjoyed the episode.

I was a little disturbed by him straight up murdering the Goblin King after being amazed about him existing just minutes earlier. I hope that has long term repercussions in his first full season. Didn't like that one bit. What I did like was that slapping song. So catchy while lyrics are rather questionable.

Ruby and her family is very likeable, great performance by Michelle Greenidge. That difference between not/having Ruby in her life. I also liked how The Doctor did not go after Rubys mother at the church. We'll find out who that was soon enough. We'll also find out who that old neighbor is, hopefully that quip wasn't just a careless 4th wall break.
    I mean the Doctor has gotten people killed before, either inadvertently or directly. I don't think he intended to kill the Goblin King though, that was my first thought.

the fourth wall break was brilliant. everyone is talking about her, there are heaps of theories out there already. Old Ruby, Ruby's mother, the Rani, the Master, whoever it was that picked up the tooth containing the Master or "The One Who Waits"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Same with virtually raping the TARDIS in the previous episode (when he forced her to reproduce without her consent, knowing full well that she has a consciousness and personality).
    now you're being ridiculous. the TARDIS was duplicated, she didn't reproduce herself.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean the Doctor has gotten people killed before
    Not straight-up murdering them, sorry. He literally drove a spike through the Goblin King, with intent. BUT HEY, it all faded away when he was done, so there was no corpse. Teehee, how wonderfully Christmasy and whimsical! Yay murder!

now you're being ridiculous. the TARDIS was duplicated, she didn't reproduce herself.
    Oh, cool. So if someone came along and made a complete duplicate of you and decided to do whatever they wanted with it (or even you), that'd be cool. Nothing vile there at all.

My bad, you're right, it's perfectly fine. Whimsy and fun again! No horror to be found! Let's close everyone against their will and without giving them any say in the matter, it's perfectly fine!

Lemme guess, Republican?

I'm actually so annoyed they brought russel t davies out of retirement.

His era of doctor who was a campy fucking mess. All four seasons he wrote are the worst written / directed of the bunch. With the least cohesion. (other than Chris Chibnall)

As soon as Moffat took over the show got a lot better overall, I dread the return to campy.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not straight-up murdering them, sorry. He literally drove a spike through the Goblin King, with intent. BUT HEY, it all faded away when he was done, so there was no corpse. Teehee, how wonderfully Christmasy and whimsical! Yay murder!

Oh, cool. So if someone came along and made a complete duplicate of you and decided to do whatever they wanted with it (or even you), that'd be cool. Nothing vile there at all.

My bad, you're right, it's perfectly fine. Whimsy and fun again! No horror to be found! Let's close everyone against their will and without giving them any say in the matter, it's perfectly fine!

Lemme guess, Republican?
    oh wow lots to unpack here. ok so does killing Daleks count? or Cybermen? because the Doctor has killed thousands, if not millions of both. sending them into the void, basically the same as killing them, then we have the Doctor killing them at the end of Donna Noble's first run, then again right at the end of Matt Smith's run. the Doctor kills lots of villains, they try not to but sometimes it is unavoidable.

as for your second comment... so you're comparing rape, the forceful penetration or sexual act without consent, to what happened to the TARDIS? the TARDIS was duplicated, that's it. As for your even more ridiculous example, if someone made a duplicate of me and decided to do whatever they wanted with the duplicate, then yeah if it's sexual and without consent then yes, it would be rape. however, is that what the Doctor is doing? the TARDIS, from when she was human, enjoys going on adventures with the Doctor. we know this because she said as much. she's essentially a companion, always there and willing to help the Doctor.

as for your final assertion I would invite you to, if you have the ability, read my profile. I'm Australian. I don't buy into the US politics, I couldn't give a shit.

as for you, you're making a fucking ridiculous argument which has no basis in logic, law or anything really. the only thing it does do is make you look foolish, and diminishes the actual act of violence towards people. you're making a frivolous argument which trivialises what people go through. you are truly and demonstrably incompetent. don't bother replying, your stupidity has earned you a spot on my ignore list. goodbye.

mods, when you read this and are deciding whether or not to infract please consider that the individual I am replying to really brought this on themselves by their ridiculous and unwarranted comparisons of a horrific act of violence to the TARDIS being duplicated.

oh wow lots to unpack here. ok so does killing Daleks count? or Cybermen?
    I've never said he's never killed before. I said he's never straight-up murdered someone, with the implied addendum of "without trying everything else first." He even offered the fucking Toymaker the option to come with him and be a good person in the last episode before getting rid of him. The Goblin King? Nope, just taunted him with a song and came back to murder him. Didn't even consider trying to find a way for him/them to feed without hurting anyone first.

as for your second comment... so you're comparing rape, the forceful penetration or sexual act without consent, to what happened to the TARDIS?
    In a way. Just not with that particular definition of the word. I was using the second one, as anyone with half a brain would be able to tell through context.

But yes, in a way he committed the other form of rape, just without penetration. He forcefully and violently (by LITERALLY using a hammer and attacking her) forced her to reproduce into another copy of herself against her will. Again, knowing full well that she has a mind and will of her own. It was a monstrous act no matter how pedantic you want to get (and are, as your only fucking defense against the abhorrent action) about terminology used.

as for your final assertion I would invite you to, if you have the ability, read my profile. I'm Australian. I don't buy into the US politics, I couldn't give a shit.
    Sorry, I should have been less specific and said "right-wing conservative" instead. Mea culpa. But no need to respond, I already have my answer.

I can't believe that it took almost 20 years of the revival to get a Doctor Who musical number, even if it was short and sweet.
    When he started singing i was like oh okay this is kind of new did not expect but will not complain

it reminded me of cuphead or something i loved it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    When he started singing i was like oh okay this is kind of new did not expect but will not complain
    Btw that's one of the little things that make him The Doctor because it reminds me of others. I can totally see the Ninth Doctor looking at the Goblin King and do exactly the same. Big smile on his face, big yeah whatever we're singing now energy. Whole song is a banger. Janis Goblin lol

Lemme guess, Republican?
    no one made a duplicate of the tardis just like how there isnt an actual duplicate of the doctor.

every version of the doctor bigenerated.

so right now theres a bigeneration of hartnell and his tardis, mcgann, tennant 10 and 14, tom baker just got up kept walkin.

for whatever reason probably due to trauma and timey wimeyness the doctors split off and are now being forced to work through their shit and at some point reconverge or something

"im okay, because eventually you're okay, rehab out of order"

its an open ended way to bring back any doctor, or to resolve any lingering plotlines or character development (and big ball of multiversal ip for the doctor who universe disney wants to make with movies, spin offs and more shows)

but theres still technically only one doctor and one tardis just as much as theres always been.

people assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect but actually from a non linear, non subjective viewpoint its more like a big ball of wibbly wimey.. timey wimey... stuff.

timey wimey ball of rehab
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Where would it be best to start watching this?

The only series I've watched was the eccleston one with Billie Piper but I'd probably need to rewatch that.

I think I can get them all on I player but the black and white series seems to be out of order so I'd probably skip that one

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post

The only series I've watched was the eccleston one with Billie Piper but I'd probably need to rewatch that.

I think I can get them all on I player but the black and white series seems to be out of order so I'd probably skip that one
    Obviously... all of it ;-).

It depends on how much time you want to invest. Since you already watched the Ninth Doctor I would suggest to watch a couple episode of season 2 just to see how Tennant took over. If you like it just keep watching, you have until may 2024 to catch up to #15.

If you don't have that kinda time google some list of "top X-th Doctor episodes" and watch a couple with everyone.

ps: the older series are a little harder to get into since they aged poorly. There are definitely good stories too, but maybe wait a bit until you've seen a couple episodes with every Doctor after the reboot. Seventh Doctor and Ace were an amazing team.
    Last edited by Twdft; 2023-12-26 at 10:22 PM.

If you want campy, over the top nonsense. Anything written by RTD (doctors 9 and 10). If you want good, the Moffat seasons (doctors 11 and 12). if you want neither the 13th doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Obviously... all of it ;-).

It depends on how much time you want to invest. Since you already watched the Ninth Doctor I would suggest to watch a couple episode of season 2 just to see how Tennant took over. If you like it just keep watching, you have until may 2024 to catch up to #15.

If you don't have that kinda time google some list of "top X-th Doctor episodes" and watch a couple with everyone.

ps: the older series are a little harder to get into since they aged poorly. There are definitely good stories too, but maybe wait a bit until you've seen a couple episodes with every Doctor after the reboot. Seventh Doctor and Ace were an amazing team.
    It was the time thing I was worried about

Most of my post vanished haha

I probably should have asked for places I shouldn't start because of over arching storylines but you answered that so thank you

imo the best jumping on points are

series 1 with the 9th doctor as thats the start of the reboot.
    series 3 with martha as its a new companion whos never met 10 before
    series 5 is probably the best place after series 1 as its a new showrunner with moffat and a new doctor and a new companion so its almost a soft reboot
    series 11 with 13 for the same reasons as series 5
    the current christmas special that just aired is also a good new jumping on point. new doctor, new companion etc

basically anytime there is a new companion the show does a soft reboot. the companion is often the pov for the viewer in a way. "its bigger on the inside" etc etc.
    moreso when theres both a new doctor and a new companion as the doctor is rediscovering themselves and theres no baggage of the expectations of the companion, sometimes a doctor regenerates and the companion stays and thats a different dynamic as well but for a brand new viewer its harder to jump on there.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    I think they did it because they want to keep making specials with DT for a while, and this is a better way too do that then to have the doctor regenerate into his old form every year.
    That makes sense. dT is very popular, and willing to do more Doctor Who. And this is a way to do that without the pressures of a regular series production schedule.

series 5 is probably the best place after series 1
    I think series 5 would be a great starting point for someone who hasn't seen any of it so far. But if you already went through season 1 you need to see Tennant next. If you already know the universe you need to see Army of Ghosts+Doomsday before Smith' Doctor.

no one made a duplicate of the tardis just like how there isnt an actual duplicate of the doctor.

every version of the doctor bigenerated.

so right now theres a bigeneration of hartnell and his tardis, mcgann, tennant 10 and 14, tom baker just got up kept walkin.
    Yeaaaaaaaaaah, no.

First, raping the TARDIS was his "prize" for beating the Toymaker. That was made abundantly clear in the episode as he was doing it. Which, now that I think about it, makes it even more horrific.

Second, the bigeneration was new. The Doctor himself said it was new. That it was merely a myth and had never happened before. We've SEEN his previous regenerations and know it to be true. And Ten wouldn't have been sobbing like a little bitch when his time was running out if even he knew it was true, which he would if he had done it nine times prior. Nevermind that way more than thirteen Doctors would have shown up to save Gallifrey if it were true, doubly so if they all had a TARDIS of their own.

The closest we've ever seen was the metacrisis malarkey, and even then he went and threw his clone into another dimension. (Without a TARDIS of his own, you may have noticed.)

The level of not-paying-attention to stories on this forum is astounding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    If you want campy, over the top nonsense. Anything written by RTD (doctors 9 and 10). If you want good, the Moffat seasons (doctors 11 and 12). if you want neither the 13th doctor
    This is very accurate.

Also it really doesn't matter where you start. Sure, there's build up and you may not understand the full implication of what's going on in each episode, but that's going to be true no matter where you start unless you go all the way back to the very first episode in the 60s. The show generally does a decent job of catching you up (usually because the Doctor has to explain what's going on to his Companion(s)), and more complex stories are generally self-contained in the series/season in which they take place.

The only reason I'd really recommend starting with Tennant's run is because of River Song. Her story, start to finish, is an absolute delight. But aside from introducing her character, her story doesn't really get going until 11 (Matt Smith) shows up. Then it's just a roller coaster of fun all the way through 12 (Capaldi's) run.
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; 2023-12-27 at 02:04 PM.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, no.

First, raping the TARDIS was his "prize" for beating the Toymaker. That was made abundantly clear in the episode as he was doing it. Which, now that I think about it, makes it even more horrific.

Second, the bigeneration was new. The Doctor himself said it was new. That it was merely a myth and had never happened before. We've SEEN his previous regenerations and know it to be true. And Ten wouldn't have been sobbing like a little bitch when his time was running out if even he knew it was true, which he would if he had done it nine times prior. Nevermind that way more than thirteen Doctors would have shown up to save Gallifrey if it were true, doubly so if they all had a TARDIS of their own.

The closest we've ever seen was the metacrisis malarkey, and even then he went and threw his clone into another dimension. (Without a TARDIS of his own, you may have noticed.)

The level of not-paying-attention to stories on this forum is astounding.

- - - Updated - - -

This is very accurate.

Also it really doesn't matter where you start. Sure, there's build up and you may not understand the full implication of what's going on in each episode, but that's going to be true no matter where you start unless you go all the way back to the very first episode in the 60s. The show generally does a decent job of catching you up (usually because the Doctor has to explain what's going on to his Companion(s)), and more complex stories are generally self-contained in the series/season in which they take place.

The only reason I'd really recommend starting with Tennant's run is because of River Song. Her story, start to finish, is an absolute delight. But aside from introducing her character, her story doesn't really get going until 11 (Matt Smith) shows up. Then it's just a roller coaster of fun all the way through 12 (Capaldi's) run.
    it was new yes. but it reverberated through time not just there. just because something didnt happen before doesnt mean it didnt happen before once it has happened

“Actually, I’ve had this idea for years. I’ve always wanted, instead of going back and meeting old Doctors, I’ve always wanted the Doctor to talk to his new version. Why has it never been done before? How can you resist the two of them having an adventure at the same time?”

On the official podcast, Davies spoke further, indicating it didn’t just affect the Fourteenth Doctor, it affected all the Doctors’ previous regenerations. Davies hinted at “the creation of the ‘Doctorverse’ in the moment of [14’s] bigeneration. It’s much bigger than you think, and I hope it could lead to all sorts of things.”

Davies followed up again on the episode’s commentary track, stating “a whole timeline bigenerated then” after the event occurs. He then imagined how it played out with the other Doctors, whilst speaking with David Tennant and Executive Producer Phil Collinson.

Davies said that Sylvester McCoy’s Doctor woke up in a morgue drawer in San Francisco, with David Tennant jesting that he’s still trapped there. Jon Pertwee’s Doctor woke up on the floor of the laboratory, while Colin Baker’s Doctor dealt with the Rani upon waking.

For the more recent Doctors, including Peter Capaldi’s, the outcome was simpler, as they just woke up in their TARDIS. Davies also mentioned to Tennant that his tenth Doctor incarnation is still out there, implying that there are now multiple versions of Tennant’s Doctor in existence.