what am i doing wrong?? prot warr

So im pretty geared all heroics some epics, but my healers in guild say i take ALOT of dmg, a pally in greens seems to take less dmg then me?

anything i can improve reforging wise enchants gems ect ect???

surfer- prot warr- spinebreaker- US any help would be appreciated

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, you've got gear that is more than fine for dungeons. You have the crit cap talent.

Honestly, you are way more geared than most PuG tanks I run into. I think your guild healers might be terrible (most likely), or you are tanking with your back to the mobs (possible) or you are missing an important talent which I can't comment on (doubt it).

nah i never back turn, i know how to strafe haha

Nothing's wrong. It's just that warriors seem more squishy than the other classes for some reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin84 View Post
    Nothing's wrong. It's just that warriors seem more squishy than the other classes for some reason.
    Useless comment. This is not the case and every tank seems to think that they are the most "squishy" at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    or you are missing an important talent which I can't comment on (doubt it).
    His spec looks fine to me as well, has all the mitigation talents and most of the threat talents only thing I can see that he might be able to change is moving the two points in cruelty to Impending Victory but that won't make him take any less damage just making him a little easier to heal when the boss is below 20%.

well as a warrior your best friends are mastery and parry.

1) Items with parry+mastery or with dodge+mastery you dont reforge.
    2) Items without mastery you reforge into mastery in this order: expertise > hit > dodge.
    3) Items with mastery, but without dodge/parry you reforge to parry in this order: expertise > hit.

otherwise your spec looks ok, only thing i would change for heroics dungeons is 2 points of 'Thunderstruck' -> 2 points of 'Blood and Thunder'

Deleted
    Also remember some classes are better than others for some fights.

For instance, Warriors are really, really good at Maloriak because of Thunder Clap, Demoralizing Shout and Shockwave. For last phase, Charge, Inctercept, Heroic Leap and Intervene prevent a lot of fall damagae. Then we take advantage of a Paladins selfheals and Ardent Defender on Chimaeron by making him soak all double strikes.

It may also be a practical issue, perhaps the Paladin is better than you at stepping into healing circles and using lightwells? Perhaps a Disc Priest has a habit of prioritizing shield on him, or do the other healers fail at identifying Beacon of Light-targets? Did you have different raid setups? Perhaps you missed a crucial buff in your setup which the pally didn't, like an appropriate resistance?

Deleted
    Do you keep Thunder Clap and Demoralizing Shout debuffs up? That accounts for 20% slower swing speed and 10% less physical damage from the mobs. Don't only save your CDs for ohshit-situations, but use em when you know there's incoming damage and where you know popping a CD helps the healer. Also remember to use disarm cos alot of trash hits hard but they can be disarmed.

You also have plenty of stuns. You could for example first pop shield block in the start as you probably should, when it runs out, disarm the mob, when disarm runs out, stun the mob if it's still alive you can think about shockwaving if you havn't yet or popping some CD. If you like to use Shockwave early in bigger pulls, make sure u don't do it while shield block is active, cos you just totally waste 4 seconds of that super awesome Shield Block. So wait that it either runs out first or don't pop it before shield block.

Many mobs have a soft enrage, even a few times during the pull, if you have no one to remove it (hunter, rogue, druid?), you can try stunning them with Concussion blow/Shockwave for at least part of the duration or save disarm for that.

Try to learn what can be reflected and what can't. You can avoid a shitload of damage in some places if you know when to pop Spell Reflection, between Spell Reflection cooldowns you can Shield Bash or use your stuns are ghetto interrupts. Also remember that Heroic Throw can be used in melee range if you talented Gag Order.
    Last edited by mmoca22428f18d; 2010-12-29 at 09:34 AM.

Thunder clap / Demo up all the time.

Shield wall and last stand at your liberty. Use them as much as possible, every cooldown if you want. Last stand with enraged regen preferably. Cooldowns aren't on a 30 minute cooldown anymore you know!!

Edit: Disarm, spell reflect every cooldown, shield block when up, heroic leap away from a boss and run for a little if you NEED to have that one heal get off and one hit will kill you.
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2010-12-29 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    I've only healed a warrior once in heroics and while he had good gear, he was definitely the hardest tank I've healed in cata so far. I have no idea if he played good or not, but he took more damage faster than DKs and Druids.

Just use your mitigation cooldowns all the time, especially at the start of any pack since that's when the most damage is done. Make sure that people interrupt properly. DKs selfheal extremely well so I don't mind if they take massive burst damage, they help me heal it up with their cooldowns. Warriors however are hard to top again once they are down to 10-20% hp early in a fight since they have a lot of hp and rarely selfheal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    Cooldowns aren't on a 30 minute cooldown anymore you know!!
    Pretty much this.
    As a paladin tank myself I got Divine protection which is on a 1-minute cooldown, so I use this on pretty much every pull in a heroic. If you don't use cooldowns much and the pallys do, maybe that's the difference your healers are seeing?

Are you using Shield Block every at every availavble CD? And Shield Reflect if there are casters loose? And shockwave? And HC Throw to pull a caster to you that may be nuking from distance? And shield bashing and concussion blow? Are you keeping TC and DR always up on your mobs?

Every one of these abilitys will ease your healers job and reduce a lot of dmg taken. Also learn what mobs do, like those nasty casters in Deadmines that holy fire you for 80k and are so sweet to reflect.

Playing a warrior is awesome but it isnt a walk in the park.

I have a completely different experience as a prot warrior. I honestly think we are in a pretty good situation right now. We deal a lot of damage on aoe pulls, and the survivability is awesome. If you use correctly the tools you have, they're really no problem. As mentionned before, thunderclaps, stuns, shouts, Spell reflect, Cs, (fears) etc....
    I ended up without a heal on some heroic bosses for the last 1 million hit point, and wnt through it while kiting, stunning, cs etc...

I would say spend time on your spell book, reading carefully spells, because many of them changed a lot, and try to use them as much as you can. There is a lot of potential in our class.

are you talking about Heroics or Raid content?.

in Heroics, warriors shouldnt take more dmg then the rest, because we have SOO much more control then other tanks, mulitple silences, multiple stuns, an aoe tremble, disarm, etc.. In the future our survivability will scale well with our mastery.

In Raids and Bosses specificly i do agree we take more dmg, because we can't compensate for it with our stuns and silences/disarm due to immunity.

its a hard balance to fix, buffing our survivability will defo lead to nerfing our control.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want