Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    That tank sounded like a brick.

Rule of the thumb, just hex/sheep something. If the tank breaks it, it's not your fault.

There are a few Basic symbols to follow,

Moon = Sheep (this should be obvious, it's been said so many times.)
    Diamond = Banish/Fear
    Triangle = Sap/Hex/Trap

Only real constant is Sheep, rest can vary. A tank or who ever marks in the group should first and foremost inform what he wants done to the targets he marks.

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing all tanks should really do is bind the marks to their keyboard. There's nothing worse than waiting 3-4 minutes between each pull because a tank is using the dropdown menus.

Deleted
    If used correctly 'hex and sheep shit' can work great. I had that once, tank told me to trap anything (hunter here =P), mage would polymorph directly after that and tank would either use single target or pull them back and AoE out of range of the CC'd mobs. We finished the whole dungeon in about 30-45 mins (I think it was Lost City), by far the fastest and easiest Cata HC I've done so far.
    If used in combination with brains, CC'ing random targets can be the best way to do a HC in my opinion, works even better if dps have been there before and know which mobs are most dangerous, but I won't blame anyone if they don't (that would be like asking for an achieve to do a raid all over again... so annoying when you have spent hours reading tacts/watching vids for the whole raid instance, or have done it 30 times on an alt and are removed from the group cause you don't have that specific achievement.).

Sounds like a dps'er who got tired of the long queues and re-rolled a tank and now expects that everything will be fine if he just throws up a skull.

On the other hand, you didn't exactly bother trying to make things clear ahead of time, either. It's a two-way street here. Communicating vital things is for the entire party to do - if you just sit back and wait for others to tell you what to do, then once in a while you'll run into a situation where someone else is sitting back and waiting for YOU to tell them what to do.

As I tank, I always try to explain things up front. Like many have said, it takes like 20 seconds at the beginning when everyone is buffing anyway...so no big deal. I run PUGs, and more often than not the rest of the group is silent for the entire run....so if I don't put it out there...no one will know wth is going on.

That being said, PUGers don't always listen or pay attention to the chat window....so it sometimes gets missed.

And as a rule of thumb....when someone says "Do you want me to play your toon for you?" I usually tell them to go ahead because I would certainly like to play your toon for you. Idiot comments deserve return idiocy.

Even better is when the tank decides to throw up a random mark on the group, pull that marked mob, go to town on it to break CC, and then bitch that it wasn't CCd.

If I had a gold for every time that one's happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnardarkan View Post
    As a tank I always give them a kill order at the start and who's CC targets are what. Even if I don't use all of them I.still say them. I takes all of 20 seconds to type mage get this and extra get that.
    This. It's moronic to mark targets then not explain the marks. The tank is OPs run was dumb and could easily be ignored to prevent future runs with him. For all you and the mage knew, star could have meant he wanted you to CC that. Without explanations as to who he wanted on what, he essentially left it up to both of you to guess and hope you didn't pick the same target.

You're fine OP, you just ran into a baddie. Do yourself a favor, shake it off and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsse View Post
    That tank sounded like a brick.

Rule of the thumb, just hex/sheep something. If the tank breaks it, it's not your fault.

There are a few Basic symbols to follow,

Moon = Sheep (this should be obvious, it's been said so many times.)
    Diamond = Banish/Fear
    Triangle = Sap/Hex/Trap

Only real constant is Sheep, rest can vary. A tank or who ever marks in the group should first and foremost inform what he wants done to the targets he marks.
    Just because your group uses these, doesn't make them constant. Star has been used as the most common CC target on my realms and Square is mostly trap.

The rule of "just CC something" is also a dumb one that I've never seen intelligent groups use. As said before, having multiple people with CC abilities that play with the "just CC something" is going to more times then not result in them going after the same target.

It takes a whopping 5--10 seconds to mark what you want CCed, and a whopping 30 seconds at the beginning of a run to go "Okay, star is sheep, diamond is hex"
    Last edited by Thetruth1400; 2011-01-03 at 05:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
    Even better is when the tank decides to throw up a random mark on the group, pull that marked mob, go to town on it to break CC, and then bitch that it wasn't CCd.

If I had a gold for every time that one's happened...
    No you forgot the part were tank says : "hunter trap square" and straight after that charges in and wonders why the square isn't trapped.

Best thing as a tank to do, or anyone who is the group leader, make a macro.
    SHEEP = MOON STAR = SAP DIAMOND= BANISH TRIANGLE = HEX SQUARE = TRAP SKULL = DIES FIRST
    One click, and the only thing that would cause confusion is if there is more than one of the class in the group, but that again, just takes a few seconds of clarification.

Majority rules btw, that tank was a dick apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiercon View Post
    You are neither responsible for nor required to mark CC-targets. But you are the only one who knows what target ist getting beat on first. You know when you press your charge/hammer/lolgrip/whatsoever. You know best how you will position the mobs and what AOEs you will be using when.

While I agree that there is a responsibility for everyone, the tank is the most suitable for putting up marks. Again, if you're too lazy then let somebody else do it, but don't expect that several CCs in one group will perfectly align without marks.
    You mean you cant target what im targeting and see what I am going to beat on? Or would you be to lazy to do that? I have yet to have issue with people when I state CC as you wish.

Its a shocker that two CCers from 2 different realms can say "I got left you got right" and it work...... I know.... communication is all it takes. marking IMO is for the people that need help.

Everyone else should also know about where I am moving the mobs etc. by just watching me/paying attention. Sorry it may be more difficult but it is not rocket science.

Again so far it has worked without issue makes people feel useful and helps them think on their own.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xoco666 View Post
    No you forgot the part were tank says : "hunter trap square" and straight after that charges in and wonders why the square isn't trapped.
    My personal favorite is the tank who says "rogue sap *random mark*" then immediately pulls, and bitches and complains that the mob wasn't sapped. Right behind that as my favorite is the tank who lets you go sap, then charges in and either consecrates, thunder claps, or DnD's, and bitches that you didn't cc your target. Maybe I just get stuck with bad tanks in randoms, but this is the bane of my existence....thank GOD for cloak, sprint and vanish.

I usually just stake a claim on one indicator or another as my cc mark and call it a day if the leader doesn't assign them.

Moon is sheep, so it is written.

Anywaysi do believe that the leader if the group should mark kill order and cc, it makes the dungeon go smoother faster and wipeless not counting boss encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Pikozz View Post
    Why even CC in DM. -_-

But you should been told in advance that i.e "shaman diamond is your bind/hex".

In my ears sounds like a failadintank.
    DM = Dire Maul
    VC = Van Cleef

It doesn't matter if Dire Maul is no longer in game, please give that hellish instance the respect it deserves by addressing it with the proper acronym.

The thing is there will always be new players to this game. Rules are always changing. The tank should take a second to say what he wants the marks to mean. There are only 3 marks I have seen that are always constant. Skull, X, and Moon. I'm fairly certain there are people out there who will sheep skull though too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
    DM = Dire Maul
    VC = Van Cleef

It doesn't matter if Dire Maul is no longer in game, please give that hellish instance the respect it deserves by addressing it with the proper acronym.
    When did they add a new dungeon named Van Cleef? Is there a link on WOWhead? DM is Deadmines or Dire Maul. Let me guess.... (not a shot) you are Alliance?
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have a macro that I put up at the beginning of any instance/raid that I do that tells everyone one their CC target is. I am hoping it will catch on when people notice I do it so eventually maybe all servers can follow a universal way of CCing targets.

Skull = Kill Target
    X = Second Kill Target
    Square = Frost Trap
    Moon = Sheep
    Triangle = Fear/Banish
    Diamond = Hex
    Circle = Hibernate/Shackle/Repentance
    Star = Sap

It works out very well. Sometimes I will have to change it depending on group makeup but for the most part it works very well. I could honestly use a larger variety of marks, but I make do with what I have.

I have actually tried a few times at the beginning of an instance to tell everyone with CC ability to pick an icon and mark their own target they plan on CCing since everyone in a group can mark now. This way they always know what icon is theirs and which CC they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknot View Post
    When did they add a new dungeon named Van Cleef? Is there a link on WOWhead? DM is Deadmines or Dire Maul. Let me guess.... (not a shot) you are Alliance?
    What's the name of the last boss in Deadmines? Hence the differentiation between the two instances by referring to them as VC and DM

It sounds like you had a lazy tank who doesn't want to take responsibility for his laziness. When I start a run, I give out cc assignments. I expect people to pay attention and follow those assignments throughout the run. If I don't assign you a symbol, I don't expect you to cc. Hoping that things get cc'd the right way by just throwing a bunch of random symbols up in a pug is just asking for trouble imo.

As I tank I got 4 marks binded to my bars. Skull, Cross, Circle and Moon.

At the start of any instances, I check the group of what classes and specc we have, and then giving everyone a mark (by using the {circle} commands aswell for no mixups). Then I always mark with my hotkeys the mobs that I feel that would help the group the mots (Healers, casters, melee if it's only a root).

As a CC class, I wouldn't except anything less, as I think as a tank, I don't want a CC class to cast a random CC, beacuse if a target getting close to the group, I tank him so most CCs are getting interuppted by that.

You made nothing wrong at all! If he just marks up and think you know everything, he shouldn't mark at all. Maybe the healer or some other dps should do it.
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!