Thread: Excorcist Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I've had two Rets in my groups in the last few days doing 1k - 2.6k dps.. Are you sure you can play Ret 'bad' and still come higher?
    how is that even possible! naked with an 85 weapon should give you that much dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    I feel like I'm kinda hijacking but..
    Retribution doesn't have aoe or cc either.

Ret paladins don't spec into Divine Storm anymore. Even if they did it does not do competitive aoe dps.

In 5 mans Repentence is really a vain talent point as well.
    Early on when we didn't have heroic or raid gear sure we used it, only after being very very careful not to break it.
    Now in 5 mans if we need CC we use a warlock, mage hunter etc.
    If you want to do a 5 man and you have Repentence, instead of even bothering the potentially CC'ed add is just tanked.

Shockadin is only missing better scaling to be "viable" if what you call viable applies to retribution as well.
    Jumping back in here just because... ech. I've had to deal with some of these statements before. First of all, if you aren't picking up divine storm and repentence... what are you really getting? Storm sure as hell isnt the greatest aoe in the world but it will definately bring you up. Factor that in with commanding seals and you should have a decent platform, though not nearly as strong as most of the other classes.

Secondly, not getting repentance is essentially peeing in the hand of every group you ever get in. Will you be primary cc often? No, but those hunter/dk groups you hit from time to time will sure be thankful for it. More than that, long cooldown aside, it is the only long lasting pve cc I know of that can be cast at instant speed. This is SUCH a godsend (coming from someone who's used to fear/seduce/banish anyway), especially when "accidental pulls" occur that you really can't ignore the talent.

Finally, if you feel like your repentance isn't being utilized properly- let the tank know. Seriously, alot of them have no idea about how some of the "newer" cc spells work. Back when it was mildly popular alot of these tanks remember it as "Hammer of Justice, Take 2". To give you an illustration on how little alot of tanks know about some of the newer abilities, I've had at least three tanks ask me flat out after I've fixed a 'bad pull" with fear.

"...How the hell is your fear mob standing still?"

After I give the information about glyph of fear, suddenly I have a mark again. Just be sure to tell the tank about the cooldown, and let him know that yours should be first on the kill order. Tanks aren't in the business of turning down ANY cc in this day and age, no matter how situational.

*whew*
    /steps off soapbox

Anyway I'll have to review the shockadin spec with the changes later tonight, will comment on it. The reason for the seal glyph is because I assumed I'd be having to use crusader strike to get hp- if that's not the case, hell. Yes.

ok everybody that thinks you need crusader strike to get HP you are wrong, you never need to go into melee range, all of your HP is generated by using Holy Shock

It also allows you to have instant Exorcisms
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quite, holy shock is obviously a very important part of this fantasy land dps spec. But I'm thinking if what you're saying is true, it's a bug thats about to get fixed. I'm thinking that it's proc'ing off of the "Your healing spells generate holy power" talent, and some guy at blizz never thought about stipulating that it *shouldn't* proc off of holy shock when being used for damage.

no go read the tool tip on holy shock it says does damage to enemies healing to friendlies, and generates 1 holy power

Please read what you are talking about.

Holy shock generates holy power just like crusader strike or hammer of the righteous do
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2011-01-07 at 01:04 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    no go read the tool tip on holy shock it says does damage to enemies healing to friendlies, and generates 1 holy power

Please read what you are talking about.

Holy shock generates holy power just like crusader strike or hammer of the righteous do
    Hmm I like you, it looks like you've been playing around with this shockadin spec for quite a while. Do you use it in pvp and pve? or just pvp (or pve)?
    Also I am playing retri atm with prot offspec. I really really really wanna try this shockadin spec, what stat do you suggest that i go for, intellect or something else important? what next, should i go crit or haste?

Int is going to be the biggest stat you are going to go for, next is probably spirit enough to be hit capped, its going to give mana regen too.

After that I am not really sure what is more valuable, probably some of both haste and crit. with the haste from judgements of the pure you can get pretty close to 1 sec exorcism, thats when haste is going to be a lot less valuable, but if you are fighting a undead or demon, then your crit is basicly 100% already.

So probably haste > crit until soft cap, but i'm not exactly sure

Oh yeah I use this for PVE mostly a little PVP.

I really like doing unconventional things with classes, on my main mage i was soloing ony when she was still 60, i like the caster paladin, the smite priests, and if i have the energy to lvl my shaman i really want to do enhance tanking.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2011-01-07 at 07:10 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

After that I am not really sure what is more valuable, probably some of both haste and crit. with the haste from judgements of the pure you can get pretty close to 1 sec exorcism...
    Not likely.

1.5/1.09/1.05(if you even have this buff)/1.03 = 1.27 ---> requires about 3456 haste to do it. Not going to happen in this tier, if ever.

If you don't have the 5% buff...

1.5/1.09/1.03 = 1.34 ---> requires about 4352 haste to do it. Not happening any time soon.

As for what's more valuable, the general intuition would be haste over crit because (and also see below) the spec is mainly based around cast time and has limited synergy (Conviction is the exception) with crit. Generally in this kind of situation you want just enough crit to mathematically guarantee Conviction stays up, then you stack haste for throughput. Int will be your main thing to enchant or gem, however, unless you want more Resil from your gems (as I see this as PvP spec, again see below).

I really like doing unconventional things with classes, on my main mage i was soloing ony when she was still 60, i like the caster paladin, the smite priests, and if i have the energy to lvl my shaman i really want to do enhance tanking.
    That's fine, and I respect that. But that doesn't mean it's any good. As I already said in this thread, "shockadin" right now is exactly the talents I'd take for a Holy PvP spec. It's a very very good spec. Spend 80% of your time healing and 20% of your time bursting and your team will profit.

This is what I've been doing for my conquest points. It works. It's good. I like it.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-01-07 at 09:42 AM.

At least you are allowed to have interesting ideas here on the paladin forum, unlike the shaman forum AKA the no fun zone
    Gamdwelf the Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    Shockadin forever! My level 60 Shockadin twink can solo Molten Core trash LOL! I agree Shockadin is stupid good in PvP and yeah in ICC it was actually stupid good till Cata since every boss is undead.
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

I tried it and NO. It didn't scale that well to 85 or something. Would have been nice if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by armpit View Post
    I tried it and NO. It didn't scale that well to 85 or something. Would have been nice if it did.
    were you using the recomended talents and glyphs? becacause last time i remember looking at numbers, i was pulling 6-7k dps, and that was at lvl 81
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    We kick rets with no Repentance

Quote Originally Posted by Konstance View Post
    We kick rets with no Repentance
    I don't even know what this means.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

In raid and dungeons? No.
    Levling and possibly pvp? Yes.

I levled as holy all the way to 85 and it was a blast.
    With this spec http://wowtal.com/#k=7mSDTWhX.adl.paladin.A8BS0 you pretty much kill mobs before they reach you in the early 80s.
    As you level up it becomes worse and worse... 84-85 was pretty rough since mobs have 80k HP or so.
    At lvl 80 and 81 with raid gear it is redicolusly high damage, but as you lvl up you haste and crit becomes lower and you will start to suck more and more. At lvl 85 in dungeons you will do about 5-6k dps on trash if you tab targets to get the Exorcism glyph debuff on all of them.
    Your damage will be really low if you don't have Inquistion up, but when you do it will be really high since all your damage is holy.

At lvl 80 against undead bosses in ICC I pulled about 12k dps, and that was without Inquistion and the Exo glyph. But now with lower haste, crit and no undead bosses I doubt any raidleader would even consider having a holy paladin dps. You can spec into a few dps talents in your regular healing spec and dps during low damage times, but other than that you really shouldn't. Without specing in Denounce Exorcism is 7k mana per cast, and doesn't even do alot of damage.