Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Well unbuffd i currently stand at 149k, Fully 5 man buffd i can hit 174k. Prot pally here ftw, I always used to stack avoidance, even in wrath and i still took less damage than everyone. even dps!! i'd say get atleast soft EXP capped 26 and then slowly work towards hit cap it'l take awhile. Then get some mastery, i'm sitting on 40% about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Well unbuffd i currently stand at 149k, Fully 5 man buffd i can hit 174k. Prot pally here ftw, I always used to stack avoidance, even in wrath and i still took less damage than everyone. even dps!! i'd say get atleast soft EXP capped 26 and then slowly work towards hit cap it'l take awhile. Then get some mastery, i'm sitting on 40% about.

No this is wrong. Do not bother with Hit or EXP at this time. Threat is non issue in cata dungeons. If you read the tanking forums, most raid tanks stay around 1-2% hit and not must more expertise than that. Vengeance is too OP right now for both Warrs and Pallies for us to have to worry about hit.

The only time you wanan worry about hit is if it is absolutely your role to interrupt on a boss. Meaning if by some chance, your 10 or 25 man raid does not have enough interrupts. Fat chance of that happening.

Focus on defensive stats first.

I know what im doing. I'm just saying that exp soft cap to 26 is important. hit cap i know probly for a fact that i wont hit anytime soon or ever. Mastery is good, but! dodge and parry should be a needed stat. Go to EJ.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhalseran View Post
    102.4% is still the unhittable point. The only difference is that now we aren't trying to push crushing blows off the hit table, we are trying to ensure every melee is a block/dodge/parry. Many pally tanks still did this in LK. Same effect, different reason.
    Im sorry to inform you but crushing blows got removed in tbc

His post implied that crushing was gone and that the 102.4 was intended to now push normal hits off te table.

Today 07:31 PMGalactis
    I know what im doing. I'm just saying that exp soft cap to 26 is important. hit cap i know probly for a fact that i wont hit anytime soon or ever. Mastery is good, but! dodge and parry should be a needed stat. Go to EJ.com
    And for paladins, after 950 ish rating mastery is a better damage reduction stat the n parry or dodge.

Stamina > Mastery > Parry > Dodge

Stamina is still your best stat, but not to the extent of sacrificing everything else as was the case in WotLK. Conserving healer mana is a very real concern now. Mastery is your best stat for smoothing out incoming physical damage, and also increases rage generation through blocks. Parry provides the same avoidance level as Dodge now, but also procs the Hold the Line talent. Dodge will become more valuable as gear ratings climb higher to reduce diminishing returns losses from over-stacking the other stats.

-Elitist jerks

http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t110315-...ction_warrior/

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    102.4%?

tBC is back THAT WAY *points to about 4 years in the past*
    It's back with Cataclysm, but in a different context.

In BC, you needed 102.4% to avoid crushing blows. Warriors and Pallies geared exclusively around this with shield block, because it was specifically your shield block that pushed the chance to crush off the hit table. Druids had to stack stam and armor to just eat the crushing blows.

Wrath basically made shield blocking the same as armor, straight mitigation over the long run. There were no more crushing blows, but no one particularly cared about shield block rating. When the boss would hit for 50k in half a second, it was far more important to have 80k health than to have a 30% chance of avoiding or blocking the hit. Stam became far more important.

Now, with the changes to blocking mechanics, and healer mana, blocking is important again.

With the new shield blocking mechanics, warriors and paladins again need to gear up to that 102.4% chance. Not because of crushing blows, but to avoid unblocked hits. Every physical hit you block is a 30% reduction on the size of that hit. If possible, your goal should be to never take an unblocked hit. That's why until you reach that percentage mastery is a very highly rated stat.

of course like others have said, you need a certain minimum stam level. Blocking hits won't help if you have 115k health. Avoidance is more important now, but healers can't depend on it and it's subject to diminishing returns.

Edit: responding partially to the EJ quote above that "Stam>Mastery>Parry > Dodge"

That's true, but I'd focus much more on the explanation part. Combine that with the fact you will rarely be trading stam directly for mastery on one piece of a gear or another. More often you'll have a mastery piece and a parry/dodge piece. The mastery pieces will be better until you're over that cap.

Gemming is more complicated, but generally you still won't gem for dodge/parry. on the other hand, socket bonuses with a stam/mastery gem could be very well worth it.
    Last edited by Barreveler; 2011-01-07 at 10:29 PM.