Do DPS Wars have to gear for hard hit cap now in Cata?

This might be a noob question, but I'm a bit confused about this, since my guild told me earlier that you have to go for the hard hit cap now (26%, or somewhere around that number) instead of settling for the soft cap which has been the goto percentage for the year I've been on the game (8%). I know that the percentage caps have not changed for Cata as I originally thought they could have, and I've been reading various guides on the net that talk about the caps, but have yet to update for Cata, which is upsetting for those needing to know this stuff (since not everyone goes on MMOC or Tankspot or ZAM/Wowhead). Can anyone answer this could-be stupid question of mine? And if so, do I have to prioritize my gear around that change?

EDIT: Forgot to say I'm Fury War!

Deleted
    In short - it's worth it, try to get atleast 22%, just try to avoid sacrificing any STR, altho 20str-20hit gems are highly viable.

STR > 8%hit > 26 Expertise > Hit20% > Crit/Speed/Hit%, that's how it is for me, also a fury warrior ofc.
    Last edited by mmocfa87c9084c; 2011-01-06 at 10:40 AM.

what dps spec are you? arms, sm fury, or tg fury?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogy View Post
    In short - it's worth it, try to get atleast 22%, just try to avoid sacrificing any STR, altho 20str-20hit gems are highly viable.

STR > 26 Mastery > Hit20% > Crit/Speed/Hit%, that's how it is for me, also a fury warrior ofc.
    I was under the impression that the priority was more like STR > 8% hit > 26 Expertise > Hit > Crit > Haste

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn View Post
    what dps spec are you? arms, sm fury, or tg fury?
    TG Fury, though I've struggled to decide which one would give me the best DPS (SMF gives you the means to have an Instant Slam proc become a double slam).

And Off T, I don't know if mastery is really needed for Fury wars. Right now, all it's been doing for me is giving more heal power to Enraged Regen. Not sure what else you could really use it for besides if your healer is getting swamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Laina View Post
    I was under the impression that the priority was more like STR > 8% hit > 26 Expertise > Hit > Crit > Haste
    The Wrath way that seems to still stick out for me is that you should go for hit first, and then expertise, then round out the other stats.

Thing is, in Wrath, we still had that dreaded ArP stat which I HATED since it just trumped everything else to a point where no other stat mattered (and you needed a TON of it to have it capped).

My other thing is if I should be gearing with hit in mind after getting to soft cap, or should I be focused more on STR or Crit and just let the hard cap come to me instead of gunning for it.
    Last edited by darkpower; 2011-01-06 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkpower View Post
    TG Fury, though I've struggled to decide which one would give me the best DPS (SMF gives you the means to have an Instant Slam proc become a double slam).

And Off T, I don't know if mastery is really needed for Fury wars. Right now, all it's been doing for me is giving more heal power to Enraged Regen. Not sure what else you could really use it for besides if your healer is getting swamped.

The Wrath way that seems to still stick out for me is that you should go for hit first, and then expertise, then round out the other stats.

Thing is, in Wrath, we still had that dreaded ArP stat which I HATED since it just trumped everything else to a point where no other stat mattered (and you needed a TON of it to have it capped).

My other thing is if I should be gearing with hit in mind after getting to soft cap, or should I be focused more on STR or Crit and just let the hard cap come to me instead of gunning for it.
    SMF pulls ahead of Titans Grip from what Ive seen. And Raging blow benefits from mastery, which is a large portion of our damage. Im at 27% hit (which is DW cap) and I see it as the most valuable stat since melee is generally in top 3 of our damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laina View Post

Oh, sry yes, you're right, its Expertise, not mastery ofc.

Deleted
    8% Hit > 26 Expertise > STR/Hit to 26% > Crit/Mastery/Haste

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the mastery for fury also affects the flat damage bonus you gain from your enrage talent. You cant see it unless you mouse over the talent tooltip on the tree. It wont show anywhere else, but I have tested it and it does increase the actual amount of damage bonus.