Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Feign Death/Vanish/Invisibility~

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on Hunters, Rogues and Mages using these to survive and not have to suffer a 10% repair bill, while you have to.

The question presented itself yesterday in heroic deadmines. We were on the 3rd boss, and the DPS in the robot failed horribly, and killed the healer and one of the DPS. Obviously, the tank died very fast after that. So, what happened? I used Blink, Darkflight, and used Invisibility.

Then what, you ask? The warlock (who managed to survive using Soulburn + Demonic Circle for a speed boost, on top of Demon Leap, then proceeded to drag the boss and the (EDIT: Wrong Word Here :P) Fire Elemental TO ME, died on top of me, and of course, even though I still had a few seconds on the timer, the boss saw me, and well, I died.

This isn't the first time I've had this happen.

Why is it people feel the need to purposely kill another DPS who attempts to save themselves from dieing? (it's not like the boss was at 5%. It was at like 90% when the tank healer and 1 DPS had died).

The tank then vote to kicked the DPS who killed me, as he hadn't released and watched what he had done. The tank even told the group what he did, and the vote passed, even without me casting a vote.

So, just curious what everyone's opinions on these skills are.
    Last edited by Myzou; 2011-01-08 at 03:12 AM.

Deleted
    People are just assholes who are bitter you have survival abilities. Don't let it get to you and just keep on using them. That's what they are there for.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's incredibly rude.

Edit: those abilities are definitely not for avoiding wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post

I typically use invisibility as a threat reducer in combat. However, it's not really needed for that currently, so it tends to go unused. But when I see the tank and healer both dead, and the boss at above 20% health, I'm going to attempt to save my butt. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You leveled your toon to 85. Other than dropping aggro what other use does it have? All of the people that talk about "properly" using these abilities need to get a grip. I will use my feign death or invis any way that I see fit. If somebody seems to think it would be funny to try to get me killed while I do this I know how to get away in most cases long enough for the cd to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    You leveled your toon to 85. Other than dropping aggro what other use does it have? All of the people that talk about "properly" using these abilities need to get a grip. I will use my feign death or invis any way that I see fit. If somebody seems to think it would be funny to try to get me killed while I do this I know how to get away in most cases long enough for the cd to reset.
    Invisibility has a 3 Minute Cooldown. The door in the foundry becomes locked when you engage the boss. ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    Invisibility has a 3 Minute Cooldown. The door in the foundry becomes locked when you engage the boss. ._.
    I was referring mostly to feign death when i was talking about the cooldown situation. Sorry I should have clarified. My Mistake. =D

Deleted

Who are you to say what they are used for? Why the hell wouldn't you use them on a guaranteed wipe?

vanish as assasinaton is a dps cooldown coz it gives u overkill again!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    Obviously the abilities have multiple PVE and PVP uses. For instance, Invis was used during the Professor Putricide encounter on normal mode so you could dps him during tear gas. There's plenty of other instances to use them.

Avoiding a wipe shows massive disrespect for your group and is one tiny step above not releasing and running back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival is exactly that - survival. If you have the ability to survive an obvious wipe (boss on high health and the healer gets mowed down and/or the tank drops like a brick), then use it and survive if you can. Sure, it feels the major-suck to see yourself (if you're playing a class that can't "escape rope" from stuff hitting the fan) die while someone else lives; in the end though if you're able to escape and can, then you'll do so. I know I do with my mage, and have no shame of it. Why? I escape and leave it at that - my personal escape and survival of a crap situation and lack of repair bill.

The thing of the warlock dragging the boss over to you though was just plain spiteful. He could have just escaped at let it be, but no. I guess he figured, "if we're going to die I'm taking someone with me." That's a form of griefing, and I'd report it. The only time I've even come close to doing something like that is in a BG (dropping a trap at my feet with my hunter when I know I'm about to die). That's a case of PVP-warfare though; what the warlock did was pure griefing.

One word : Misdirection.

Awesome tool to cost repairs to idiots, like the guy you talk about.

As far as avoiding deaths, its fine, we are simply using tools blizz gave us, get mad about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having seen these abilities bug bosses and stop 39 people from raiding for a whole evening because 1 idiot didn't want to pay 50s has me kinda biased towards this issue but here is my opinion.

Hunters used to have a legitimate excuse to do this. Ammo cost were very high and on very productive raid nights where no one lost durability, they still had to pay ammo. So yes hunters doing it was OK... but now none of those idiots have any excuse and the moment they bug a boss because they don't want to pay 2-5 gold is the moment they gtfo my guild or raid.
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

Never had that happen to me. My bow breaks down fast enough without dying.
    Which keeps me wondering btw, do weapons for melee classes also break down entirely after doing 1 heroic with 3-4 wipes?

It seem to be mostly locks who do this then, jhst remembered I had a discussion with my housemate (who plays lock) telling me he would do the exact same thing if I was to use FD...
    Or is this just because he thinks he's awesome, but the whole realm knows he's just not :P
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-01-08 at 03:35 AM.

Bravo on showing the knowledge you have of this game. Those abilities are intended for agro resets, get out of combat cards, and an escape in pvp. If you aren't pulling agro, you're more then welcome to use the ability to dodge a repair bill. Go cry to blizzard because you can't attempt the same feat.

Obviously the abilities have multiple PVE and PVP uses. For instance, Invis was used during the Professor Putricide encounter on normal mode so you could dps him during tear gas. There's plenty of other instances to use them.

Avoiding a wipe shows massive disrespect for your group and is one tiny step above not releasing and running back.
    Wrong, that was not a use of that ability. It was a clever use of mechanics because he could not stun someone with tear gas if they weren't on his agro table the moment it finished. You can't argue that was an INTENDED use of that ability.

Deleted
    Seriously SilkforCalde, are you saying there is some kind of 'all go down together in glory' thing going on in a boss fight? If everyone is guaranteed to die how on earth is disrespect given or even intended by feigning death? That attitude is all your problem.

10+ Year Old Account

Disrespect? I am sorry but if feign death hurts somebodies feelings they have other issues they need to deal with before playing this game. If I die I will release and run back. If I manage to survive I will be patiently waiting for you at the boss.

If it's a guaranteed wipe I see no problem, I do that with my Invisibility all the time (which occasionally annoys my Night Elf comrades as it causes the boss to see through their Shadowmeld while ignoring me :P).
    It's not like if you hadn't used it the encounter would've ended differently, why should anyone else in the group care if you save yourself some gold?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody has an issue when I pop vanish to save myself a couple gold on repair bills. They just comment with envy

Every class/spec has unique abilities that help in one way or the other. It doesn't have to be direct gold saves like combat drops, rather other stuff, but there are also those benefits that indirectly increase gold gained: faster queues, ability to solo stuff earlier than other classes, etc.
    When you look at something that another class has and feel jealous, just look at some cool ability you have and imagine playing without that.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.