Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Class Suggestion: Monks

Monks would be the only new class they could add that wouldn't be derivative of any other class or profession.

They could fulfill all 3 roles and be based in the martial arts.

Armor:
    Cloth, Leather
    Weapons: All one handed and staffs
    Ranged: Thrown

Healing Spec:
    The first melee range non-casting healing class. The use of chants (for brief bubbles to friendlies) and quick movement could get the healer from one target to another. Think of it inspired by pressure point therapy and acupuncture. Could specialize in tank healing and really up the challenge level for raid healing.

Melee DPS Spec:
    More focus on punch and kick specials. Have weapons for white and small amount of specials. Have a talent for specialization in fist weapons or staffs. Lots of very short buffs and debuffs through chants.

Tanking Spec:
    Let the focus be on dodges, blocks, counters and mental fortifications. Think "evasion tanking" for lack of a better term. Dual wield tanking with the off hand acting as a weaker shield and/or weapon.

Primary Resource: Focus
    Secondary Resource: Chi

Quote Originally Posted by Neliah View Post
    Diablo much?
    Never played it actually.

Well, the monk is a new class in Diablo3 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Scarjack View Post
    The first melee range non-casting healing class.
    Melee range...

Healing class...

Why do you hate healers?

I like the idea a lot...but I favor the version of the monk class where he uses no weapons at all....he is THE weapon....essentially a super martial artists with some magical ability.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 03:25 PM ----------

The monk class has been around in games before Blizzard was even a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    I like the idea a lot...but I favor the version of the monk class where he uses no weapons at all....he is THE weapon....essentially a super martial artists with some magical ability.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 03:25 PM ----------

The monk class has been around in games before Blizzard was even a company.
    Got to have weapons unfortunately. This game is all about gear.

Deleted
    Martial Arts in a MMO... No, thank you.

Monks fit somewhat, but they need some new lore. The races which have monks currently: Humans and Pandaren.

Got to have weapons unfortunately. This game is all about gear.
    Well, you could get weapons and then take them to your dojo and your master trains you in exchange of the juicy treasure you hand him. Wouldn't make a difference on stats, and people couldn't argue about not having a weapon because that's the flavor of the class anyway.
    Last edited by Falarson; 2011-01-11 at 08:29 PM.

Maybe Blizz can have Sierra help implement it

Quote Originally Posted by barker View Post
    Maybe Blizz can have Sierra help implement it
    Silence!

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT EXPANSION!

10+ Year Old Account
    Chi is a no no, we don't need more resources, Also why would it have tank, dps and heals.
    We don't need more pallys, just make it heals and dps like a priest, melee dps with weapons and ranged heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am for anything that adds more healers into this game. It is kind of empty out there...

The first melee range non-casting healing class.
    Chants aside... non-casting heals? so you punch people in the face and it heals them?

Quote Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
    Chants aside... non-casting heals? so you punch people in the face and it heals them?
    Some kind of auras that have a limited range. Think Warlock's Hellfire with a healing effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
    I lol'd xD

Deleted
    Just rework Discipline to be a melee dps spec, why entire new class? :3

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Just rework Discipline to be a melee dps spec, why entire new class? :3
    I'm down for this too. It works. If they could rape Death Knights in Cataclysm, why not priests?

The Monk class (much as it is described in this thread, sans healing) existed in Dungeons and Dragons far far before Diablo ever existed

The concept of healing martial arts in melee is ABSOLUTELY amazing. This was done and tried in Vanguard. There was a disciple class that had 2 types of heals:

1) regular heals that cost mana
    2) attack combos that would result in a heal on Focus target. Attack had some cds, and costed endurance ( basically energy)

It was amazing idea for many reasons:

1) people are mostly dps junkies, that is why dps waits 45+ min in queue now.
    2) It is very unique (bad for wow apparently since they try to make everything same now)
    3) From my experience it was reducibility fun char to play.