Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamG3691 View Post
    I wonder what it would do if both resistances were equal?
    Go crazy and hit alt+F4?
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    With Frostfire bolt, damage is calculated as frost and fire - any talent that increases one, or both, increases frostfire bolt. For example, if a mage had (random number spewing) talents that increased frost and fire damage by 5%, one that increased frost by 8%, and another that increased fire by 3%, FFB would get a 16% damage bonus. Damage would then be compared to resistances - if a mob had no fire resistance but 20% ice, it would do fire damage, with the 16% damage bonus.

If resistances are equal, theres probably a part of the code that makes a hard choice, like how FFB prefers fire damage.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Fel Flame is garbage. I wish they would stop trying to make us use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    RNG probably?
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Wormie View Post
    yes now it hit for 8k insted of 2.5k. thx bliz you fixed my day.

oh wait its still useless
    Seems like it may be useful in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Seems like it may be useful in pvp.
    In competitive PVP u wont be using 4x t11 set bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    wut? that's why i get smoked!
    Last edited by Krunklock; 2011-01-11 at 11:01 PM. Reason: i spel gudd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I shoulda been more clear as PvP for me is random BG's in all PVE gear.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Fel Flame will not double dip. Anytime you read Shadowflame or Frostfire or whatever, the spell calculates which will be resisted less by the target and does that damage. Shadow Protection on the target? It's probably going to do Fire damage instead. Never both.
    I understand what you're saying, but that's not what I meant. I know it checks the lesser of the two resistences and does that school of damage. However, I wondered if it would receive an 8% damage increase twice (once for the fire portion, once for the shadow portion) in the same way that FFB would get more damage for every x% Fire Damage increase AND x% Frost Damage increase.

This was back in early wrath but I remember mages taking talents in both trees to optimize their FFB damage because it stacked the damage modifiers of both fire and frost. I wondered if Fel Flame would behave similarly, and stack damage modifiers for both fire and shadow damage from one talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormie View Post
    yes now it hit for 8k insted of 2.5k. thx bliz you fixed my day.

oh wait its still useless
    Erm... My felflame hits for 5k and crits for 10k unbuffed on a dummy. With the proc, these will hit hard. Hard enough to make the spell worthwhile.

This doesn't change the fact that this mechanic should've been provided by a talent, rather than a tier set. But that's another discussion altogether.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2011-01-11 at 11:28 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Its clear with this they want us to use Fel Flame in PVE, but they dont t buff the spell on base damage to dont have pvp implications.

But what will we have a set bonus buffing Fel flame on every set from now on? This is really really bad design.

The DPS increase from Simcraft 4.0.6 version 4 has given my toon a 451dps increase from the T11 set in a 450 second fight. The average hit in the simulation fully raid buffed was 22k, and a crit was 46k. When the buff for it is up it's priority is above even immolate and conflagrate, although still below the soul fire buff and bane of doom refreshment. While its only a very small dps increase, its still worth it, mainly because the T11 gear is very good statistically.

So basically... yeah its worth it as long as you can optimise your gear well enough.

Deleted
    Hit with it for 47K max, and yeah, landing a 47K Fel Flame is fun. Now, 2% is a quite low percentage, 5% would be much more interesting and worth the work of collecting 4 pieces.

I agree 100%. The proc percentage should be much higher, even more so now that all other classes have been buffed to our level or higher (Boomy, Spriest, Fire Mages, Feral, Hunters even Rets). The mastery buff of 8% was a generous thought, but has turned out to be a stat that we didn't use less bad than it originally was, yet still not viable to use in a raid.

Personally i think the 4 piece sets for PvP and PvE should be switched around, but if they're not going to do that then at least modify it so that people actually aim for the set bonus and see it as a dps increase, rather than a costume that matches (barely).