Thread: Frost Question.

Frost Question.

I normally play Fire but starting to like Frost, and I just had a few questions about the build I have decided I like the best.
    First off http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oZfMhZcfMRsIszMo here is the link.
    I have taken away Early Frost in favor of maxing out Enduring Winter to help me stay from OOM. Another change I picked was Fire Power over Netherwind Presence, this was mainly due to I like the fact that my FFO will explode. I do have a question with the Fire Power though, I maxed it out over maxing out Ignite should I change this to max Ignite or is it fine the way it is?I was wondering with the points I put into Ice Shards if they would be better placed into Permafrost are not? That's about it just a question of "Is my frost build I picked good enough?". Thanks for any help.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Given the mana worry, I assume you're running molten instead of mage armour. Both work, though mage makes mana irrelevant and lets you dump those mana talents elsewhere.

Anyway, the main problem I see with this is how are we defining "good enough"? From a maximum DPS standpoint, no. Early frost is worth about 2% DPS, as is the haste talent. Ignite maxing out is the single biggest DPS increase you can get outside the frost tree. Now if we're defining good enough as "will this produce decent DPS", then yes. You'll probably be within 5-10% of an absolutely optimized spec, but it'll do fairly well.

On fire power vs ignite, debatable. You're looking at basically losing 33% chance on having it explode at the end in exchange for 14% damage on FFB/FFO crits. If the chance of having it not explode, which seems to be something you're quite set on, is alright with you, then swap the point to ignite. If not, keep where it is. Do keep in mind that the explosion is fairly weak, play around with it on dummies to see if you find it exploding acceptable damage or not.

On ice shards, again, depends on what you want to do. Chill on blizzard is somewhat useful in situations. As is increased chills on your other spells. If you're looking for utility, try out improved cone of cold. That extra freeze can be stupidly useful in a lot of places. If you're looking for more DPS, early frost. Though that will be minimal as again, it's worth about 2% DPS.

If you're into "good enough" being maximum possible DPS pulled out of the spec, the link in my sig can take you to a guide. Other than that, good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the help. Yea I changed things around a bit. Umm the Netherwing Presence putting the 2 points in it that I saw the guide has is that a needed haste bonus or will gearing get it to the same point with out minimizing the dps out put?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well the thing is you COULD gear for it, but then the talent would give you 2% more from there as well. So it's always this about 2% DPS increase. The reason it was selected as the place for your last points is because of the options, it is the best DPS.

You just have to ask yourself if the trade off for not having it is worth it to you, and I can't answer that, neither can anyone else on this board. You might want an exploding FFO more than that 2%. If that's the case, then go for it. Just realize that it's not the best place for those talent points from a DPS standpoint, and if you ever want higher numbers, however small, that's where to get them.

Cool thanks for all your help been very informative . I appreciate it.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffMosIszMo:aMR
    I think you will find this spec a little more effective