Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cho'gall, 1 tank? P3 troubles

So we are having trouble getting through P3. The tentacles aren't dieing fast enough. Should we go with one tank? Or maybe 2 healers instead of 3? How would we handle the debuff with 1 tank?

This is 10 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    So we are having trouble getting through P3. The tentacles aren't dieing fast enough. Should we go with one tank? Or maybe 2 healers instead of 3? How would we handle the debuff with 1 tank?

This is 10 man.
    You need 2 tanks to handle the debuff he places on the tank "Fury of Cho'Gall" is the ability he uses and what initiates the swap. If your DPS is having trouble with 3 healers then you can try out 2 healing but you will most likely run into mana issues before p3 even starts. Imo take a look at your DPS see who is slacking and not dpsing tentacles or who is just overall doing a terrible job and sub based on performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Protozoa7 View Post
    You need 2 tanks to handle the debuff he places on the tank "Fury of Cho'Gall" is the ability he uses and what initiates the swap. If your DPS is having trouble with 3 healers then you can try out 2 healing but you will most likely run into mana issues before p3 even starts. Imo take a look at your DPS see who is slacking and not dpsing tentacles or who is just overall doing a terrible job and sub based on performance.
    No you dont, Just have a melee dps taunt from ranged an pick the debuff up and the tank can take it back and boom you got 1 tank.

Deleted
    I have a great tip for you, .. If you tank him next to a wall or kinda almost into the wall, u force him to spawn tentacles almost on top of eachothers, making you able to cleave, so u wanna tank him next to the throne

|----Cho'Gall --------- THRONE -----------Right Side|

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    No you dont, Just have a melee dps taunt from ranged an pick the debuff up and the tank can take it back and boom you got 1 tank.
    Why would you do that considering all the movement involved with adherents you are going to have chogall running laps around the room. POSSIBLE to 1 tank yes VIABLE not in the slightest and by no means does it seem like a justifiable strat.

Deleted
    Its an easy fight to 2 heal tbh.

Only Aoe damage is the shadow aoe, Rest is tank damage. Have some cooldowns for the fire phase on the tank to mitigate the extra 30k damage on melee swings and your golden.

If you can dps hard enough you should only get 2 sets of ads spawns.

Are you ensuring that all 4 tentacles are NOT casting? They reduce healing and DPS output of their target significantly.
    We had that issue earlier as well and thought of going 1 tank 3 heals or 2 tanks 2 heals. Ended up with executing P3 properly and he's an easy farm.

Make sure your 2 tanks are on a tentacle each, interrupting and dps-ing. (Yes, including that tank that is holding Cho'gall)
    With high Vengeance stacks a tank can solo a tentacle down. I've personally done this as a prot warrior.

best suggestion i have is tank chogall against a wall during p3. most of the time the tents will be clumped so less running during that part for your melee.

You can analyze your dps on tentacles really well if you parse your combat log into World of Logs, it would give you a very good perspective.

The issue is your DPS. Tell them to do their job. Focus/Interrupt beams and collect loot.

Are you running the big adds to the backdoor? This will cause your DPS (especially melee) to have to run too much, just kill them on the stairs. Also, what we did, was keep 1 melee DPS on the boss at all times.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 melees, 4 ranged and you're golden. You can go with 3 melees as well, but 4 ranged makes it easier.

Tank Cho'gall at the edge of the "inner safe circle" and you'll be bound to get some tentacles inside/at the edge of the circle so that the melee can DPS them as well when possible.

Just make sure EVERYONE who can, is actually DPSing or at least Interupting the tentacles and it's an easy kill.

Also, make sure people actually pay attention with their positioning so that they dont throw up on each other once their corruption % gets high.

EDIT: Solo tanking this is possible, but you're pretty much just making it harder for yourself. However, it is indeed a viable tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Protozoa7 View Post
    Why would you do that considering all the movement involved with adherents you are going to have chogall running laps around the room. POSSIBLE to 1 tank yes VIABLE not in the slightest and by no means does it seem like a justifiable strat.
    All the movement? the tank tanks chogal next to the first adds spawn area and we kill him right were he spawns, the next one gets mded to the tank over there and we kill it there as well, the third one spawns there and we kill it there. Lots of movement eh. We did it 3 weeks in a row 1 tank and 2 healers. More than 1 tank is just a waste of a DPS.

Also, at 1m hp (10 man) you can just ignore adds (interrupt them if you can) and just go all out on boss.

me and my paladin buddy 2 healed 10 man, wasnt too bad just requires everyone to not take any extra damage. We used a Paladin and druid tank, along with Paladin shaman heals. But you cannot 1 tank it!

Deleted
    Ive posted it in another Cho'gall thread, but heres a video of how we did the fight with 1 tank. Using a melee to run and taunt at range for debuff, soak some of them with cooldowns/mana. Pulling him towards the entrance for p3 is golden, tight space for tentacles to spawn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post

This is 10 man.
    Take two healers, it's surprisingly easy to heal as long as the raid avoids any unnecessary damage and enters phase 2 with as little Corrupted Blood as possible, don't underestimate how much of a detrimental effect Corrupted Blood will have when you push phase, it's the real killer. We two-shotted it tonight with me (Disc Priest) and a Resto Druid healing.

Another tip (if you aren't already doing it) is to have the Tank pull Cho'gall to whatever Tentacle is next on the kill list so that he can assist in killing it with Cleave/AoE damage. Good luck

Edit: I can't possibly imagine why some people are going through the hassle of using one tank for this boss. It seems completely backwards to me when it'd be easier drop a healer instead.
    Here's the log from our kill earlier, 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 3 Melee, 3 Ranged and a pretty smooth kill. As you can tell from the Log we're not pulling godly amounts of DPS or Healing, we're just doing the ballpark numbers you'd expect for a guild killing this guy for the first time.
    As I mentioned, as long as you conserve your mana correctly and time your cooldowns well, it's a very simple fight to Duo-heal. People avoiding Shadow Crashes, Flame Patches, Interrupting the adds, etc will make your job a lot easier in Phase 1 and make Phase 2 much, much easier to heal through, buying you plenty of time to nuke down the tentacles and kill Cho'gall before you get overwhelmed.
    Last edited by mmoc290cb72e4b; 2011-01-14 at 07:46 AM.

Our healers interrupt tentacles casts - it helps a bit )

Quote Originally Posted by Killsyah View Post
    me and my paladin buddy 2 healed 10 man, wasnt too bad just requires everyone to not take any extra damage. We used a Paladin and druid tank, along with Paladin shaman heals. But you cannot 1 tank it!
    Iv done it 3 weeks in a row, how are you gona say you cant do it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killsyah View Post
    But you cannot 1 tank it!
    Ofc you can, just use your dps to soak Fury. If you got a paladin tank he can bubble out of the shadow debuff aswell.