Leaving early from dungeons

Ok. So I decided to wait a day so this didn't turn into a QQ thread, but...

On my warrior tank, only had 30-40 mins (was waiting on a text about meeting times) before I was going out, decided to queue anyway for a random normal dungeon, pulled Halls of Origination. After Anhuur, mentioned I was short on time but had time for a few bosses, mentioned it again after Anraphet when I knew what I had time for. Healer starts qqing something shocking, "mm. yeah sure, every tanks like this I'm sick of it", all sorts of snarky rubbish. Asked a second time, want to start on Isiset or something and I'll nick off after that or go straight to Rajh, healer replies "ffs Rajh. sigh". Then we started arguing, did Rajh but I think he implied that I liked the company of gentlemen and it all got a bit silly.

Anyway. I figure tanks are short, and 4 bosses (including the end boss) at a very rapid rate (doing most of the DPS), no problems at all and I was polite enough about healer mana, CC all that jazz. Any queue is better than no queue, and if I step out halfway through you'll get the next available tank anyway. It's really not a big deal. The healer asked "why queue at all if you didn't have time?" and left, I thought the answer's obvious... I had time to do a couple of bosses, so I did.

Does it put a bee in your bonnet when someone leaves early? I dunno, just be grateful someone's polite about it and not some spacky mongoloid imo. It IS the dungeon finder after all.

You don't owe them anything, as soon as you drop, the next tank pops in. Now of course only a griefer would drop in the middle of combat, that's not nice and probably against the ToS. But just leaving after warning you need to leave. No, that's not wrong. That's how the system works. It's not the primary way of running dungeons anyways, it's a stop gap for groups of players short on members.

To directly answer your question: "Whenever I have bee in my bonnet, I find it helps to take my hat off."

Although I don't care much for that healers tact, I do agree that you shouldn't of bothered queing up for a dungeon unless you can stay for completion (ie every boss). Why is it such an issue? Most tanks coming in after you left will likely drop immediately causing yet another 40-50 min wait for others and most likely a complete party collapse. What if others in the party que'd for that dungeon to get at specific bosses (for specific drops); ones that you did not take down? It's very frustrating.

Next time just go do dailies, craft/fish/cook, play an alt or hell just don't play WoW if you don't have the time to finish what you start.

Nah, I don't see a problem there. You warned them you'd probably have to leave. Hell, if you got VP you'd have been able to complete it, shower up, make some toast and play some monopoly by the time you had to leave, but instead you got the longest dungeon with plenty of optional bosses. No harm.

Yeah honestly, it's not kosher to queue for dungeons if you can't commit to the full run. It's not fair to the other people who queue with the intent of committing to a full run, to expect them to pull just the minimum number of bosses to cater to your convenience. If you've gotta go in half an hour, go do some dailies or archaeology or fishing, don't queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind if someone joins and leaves early unless they are a tank because if a tank leaves your group, you don't get another tank instantly.
    One time in Heroic BRC, we all load up in the beginning and the tank leaves instantly. We had to wait 10 minutes for another tank and he left instantly as well. My opinion? I hate people who know they don't have enough time to finish the dungeon yet they queue for it anyway.
    It's almost like deciding on wasting other people's time or getting some justice points. It is a selfish act if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are forgetting that there are actually people queueing using the specific dungeon. I wouldnt be happy if the boss i specifically came for got skipped. And yes, people using random and speci finder can get in the same group.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooburn View Post
    mongoloid
    You had me up until you decided to whip out the even more offensive 1950s version of the word "retard" (you know, the one that also basically blanket offends all East Asians). Here I was thinking you were polite and then you wrap it up with that. I was actually grateful to see a post that wasn't full of offensive words parading as "cleverness" until your second to last sentence.

Oh, and no, I don't get a "bee in my bonnet" over it, but as the tank that replaces you, I don't appreciate being wedged into a group you just pissed off by being what you'd probably call a "tosser".

You warning them doesn't really do anything, does it? It's not like they have a choice about you being in their group. What should they do? Kick you from the group for it and then sit there waiting on the next tank that wonders through? Then you'd likely just be here complaining about that, wouldn't you?

"You don't owe them anything" is BS as well. Unless you could solo those bosses, you do owe them something. This is just you being selfish and entitled. So either queue up for a specific dungeon that's quick or do something else next time if you don't want to get whined at.

Seriously, you crap in at least four other people's cereal and then have the gall to come here and whine about how one of them complained about it. In the future, I hope you think about how the four other people sitting behind their computers playing a game with you feel when you abandon them like they don't matter at all.

If it had been something like 10-20 minutes before you left, that would be ridiculous to expect the group to complete the dungeon in that time. But if you had 30 minutes, I'd say that's reasonable. You just happened to get the longest dungeon around. It might be a matter of personal opinion, but it's not necessarily rude to leave in the middle, especially since from what you said you weren't entirely sure when you were leaving. And no matter if it was fair or not to do this, the healer needs to learn to be a bit more polite.
    Let our enemies know that havoc calls and that with its song comes their end.

Heh, good responses! A couple of things

It's not fair to the other people who queue with the intent of committing to a full run, to expect them to pull just the minimum number of bosses to cater to your convenience
    I see your point, but I didn't skip any bosses. I did Earthbinder Ptah before Anraphet, then knowing I only had time for one more boss, I asked if the group wanted me to go to Isiset/Ammunae/Setesh or just finish the dungeon with Rajh. The healer said Rajh, the rest of the group said nothing. I sort of needed one item of Rajh, but really needed the helm of Setesh so I wasn't pushing either way. Was happy to do anything and forgo my JP.

One time in Heroic BRC, we all load up in the beginning and the tank leaves instantly. We had to wait 10 minutes for another tank and he left instantly as well
    I dunno, maybe it's just me but this just doesn't happen a lot. In any case, it's barely more likely a tank will leave instantly halfway through an instance or at the start. IMO they have more chance of staying if there's 4 bosses up instead of 7. And they're quite likely to stay if the first thing they see is "tank had to leave early, smooth run 1shotting everything up until now".

Seriously, you crap in at least four other people's cereal and then have the gall to come here and whine about how one of them complained about it. In the future, I hope you think about how the four other people sitting behind their computers playing a game with you feel when you abandon them like they don't matter at all.
    Well this I just don't understand. I mean let's do a comparison:
    Scenario #1 - I don't do the dungeon at all. Group waits for the next available tank in the queue that would have been behind me
    Scenario #2 - I leave after Anraphet (my scenario doesn't work because we killed Rajh). Group waits for the next available tank in the queue, they're at the top of the queue because the dungeon is in progress.

Same wait time, different setting, the only thing they're losing is the time it takes to click their role a second time :P

---------- Post added 2011-01-16 at 06:36 PM ----------

You had me up until you decided to whip out the even more offensive 1950s version of the word "retard" (you know, the one that also basically blanket offends all East Asians). Here I was thinking you were polite and then you wrap it up with that. I was actually grateful to see a post that wasn't full of offensive words parading as "cleverness" until your second to last sentence.
    I wasn't going to respond to this... but I will. If I offended you by my flippant use of a term, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it obviously.

Although if you're offended by this kind of thing I really think the internet isn't for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    In defense of the OP, you never know how long a dungeon will take. You could have two hours ahead of you, but bad healers, stupid dps, wipes and random player qq drops are bound to happen. Now say you only have about 20 minutes and you just get into a dungeon, it'd be polite to just dip out and say "Well, I thought I had time to run this, but I don't. I'm gonna dip out, take it easy" that way you can cater to everyone's needs/wants and not be a douche.

Now if something comes up that you'd like to do (I live in dorms, so if someone comes into my room asking if I want to go out that night, i'll stop playing wow to go out) then warning them that you have to leave soon is more than acceptable. Dropping mid-combat is a definite no-no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    Me: "Ok if its a healer/dps go for healer then dps! Alright?"
    Partner: "What if its a Paladin combo?"
    Me: "Then just leave..."

Deleted
    I also think it's unfair on the other players to queue for something that you know you can't commit to. For the most part, people queue with certain expectations - that everyone there wants to be and can be for the whole run.

There are certainly edge cases - perhaps things go badly, the run takes twice as long as it should...and you end up running out of time. The difference in that situation is that you went in to the instance committed but were thwarted by circumstances beyond your control.