Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is your shadow priest hit capped?

I wanted to know how many of you shadow priests are hit capped, or if you are prioing crit and mastery above hit. Personally I am prioing crit above hit (because it's a huge dps upgrade), but mastery below hit, basically because I don't like our mastery in general, and because the closer you get to the hit cap, the less awareness you need to put into a proper rotation.

So how are you choosing?

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    I wanted to know how many of you shadow priests are hit capped, or if you are prioing crit and mastery above hit. Personally I am prioing crit above hit (because it's a huge dps upgrade), but mastery below hit, basically because I don't like our mastery in general, and because the closer you get to the hit cap, the less awareness you need to put into a proper rotation.

So how are you choosing?
    personally im going hit>int>haste>crit>mastery
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit is no longer "God among men" as dps stat at this point, but reaching the hit cap, or getting close to it, is still extremely important for reliability reasons.

But prioring crit is definitely not the way to go, since haste at this point is more than 25% better per point than crit.

Your priority should be Int > Spellpower > Haste > Crit > Mastery, and then just get spirit or hit on all pieces of gear and let the 17% come naturally without gemming/reforging for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    fail just fail. Hit is a bad stat in dps and certainly ranked below a lot of those. look up some spriest theory crafting. Hit is like worthless

I have 17% hit and everything else is Haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eightohfive View Post
    fail just fail. Hit is a bad stat in dps and certainly ranked below a lot of those. look up some spriest theory crafting. Hit is like worthless
    he asked and i said "personally," you dont have to be an asshat over it. i could say your fail cuz you have only 116 posts, it makes about as much sense as why you said i was fail.

Deleted
    same for me

10+ Year Old Account
    I care to hit, i get spirit instead. Lucky me is already capped so I am just reforging to haste and crit

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not. It's value rapidly decreases, but it is in no way worthless. Try doing a raid with 0% hit and see how you like it, especially if you have an important role with spells missing 1/6 of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like alot of people disagree, who needs to look up some theory crafting now?

I am currently sitting at ~10% hit and pull 13k DPS on both Magmaw and Omnitron. With the changes to shadow priest mechanics, hit % needed is more based on how quickly you are able to react to a spell miss.

My character name is Waelo on the Nazjatar realm.

look up some spriest theory crafting
    spriest theory crafting
    theory crafting
    theory
    With all joking aside, hit is far from useless. Being hit caped means you don't have to re-cast VT if it misses (thats 1-1.5 seconds of dps lose via the actual dot and mind flay) and it doesn't waste your mana since the cast still cost mana.

You should get towards hit caped but try not to gem for it. Also there is a very lovely chart in the sticky, so yea... go read it.
    Last edited by zito; 2011-01-15 at 12:39 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Since a SPriest does not have a role like mage's interrupt etc to fulfill stats are only about DPS, not raid reliability. For DPS it's roughly Int>>>>>>>haste>hit~=crit>mastery as far as I am concerned. Getting relatively close to the hitcap makes me feel better and that's the only reason why I'm hovering near 17% - but I won't reforge haste to hit nor will I reforge any stats if it'd make me overcapped.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    With all joking aside, hit is far from useless. Being hit caped means you don't have to re-cast VT if it misses (thats 1-1.5 seconds of dps lose via the actual dot and mind flay) and it doesn't waste your mana since the cast still cost mana.
    Waste mana? You really have mana problems? Only one fight I have not attempted yet is Nef and I never had any problems with mana while pulling very good dps, so unless you play wrong mana is not an issue.
    Statistically you will miss MF much more often than VT or DP. If you miss MF you only lose the GCD, not entire time you have spent casting the spell like any other class' main nuke would behave, making missing MF much smaller matter than main nukes for others. Even having to recast VT or DP is simply a matter of whether the dps you gained over all those non-missed casts by having ratings that would otherwise be in hit is bigger than loss resulted by wasting time to recast or not - the argument "if you miss the spell then extra haste, crit and int does not matter" is really stupid.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2011-01-15 at 12:46 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, this thread again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    Hit is no longer "God among men" as dps stat at this point, but reaching the hit cap, or getting close to it, is still extremely important for reliability reasons.

But prioring crit is definitely not the way to go, since haste at this point is more than 25% better per point than crit.

Your priority should be Int > Spellpower > Haste > Crit > Mastery, and then just get spirit or hit on all pieces of gear and let the 17% come naturally without gemming/reforging for it.
    Yes, I know that haste is the best stat for shadow priests, since every piece of my gear except for 2 trinkets and a wand has haste as one of the 2 secondary stats (which again is reforged to haste).
    The reason why I only mentioned hit/spirit, crit and mastery is because one of those 3 stats has to be the second secondary stat on every piece of gear, and either has to be reforged away or prioritized above the other secondary stats.

Yes, I know that haste is the best stat for shadow priests, since every piece of my gear except for 2 trinkets and a wand has haste as one of the 2 secondary stats (which again is reforged to haste).
    The reason why I only mentioned hit/spirit, crit and mastery is because one of those 3 stats has to be the second secondary stat on every piece of gear, and either has to be reforged away or prioritized above the other secondary stats.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-Priest-Guide

Go to the reforging section and look at the chart.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The chart has some assumptions made with it which are important in reading and following its instructions.

Also in the sticky, you will find a link to Gherkin's post in the Warlock forums about Hit. It is a well written article by a member of the simcraft team so his ideas on the subject should hold a high value of validity. While it may be in the Warlock forum, it is still relevant to Shadow Priests as well and should not be dismissed. I'll repost the link here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/824683

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-Priest-Guide

Go to the reforging section and look at the chart.
    The chart isnt very useful (edit: in answering my questions), since it assumes that you dont want to reforge hit, possibly because you either dont want the stat, but most likely because you are hit capped, and it doesn't include the mastery changes in 4.06, nor the fact that it's value depends on your current gear status.

The chart isnt very useful (edit: in answering my questions), since it assumes that you dont want to reforge hit, possibly because you either dont want the stat, but most likely because you are hit capped, and it doesn't include the mastery changes in 4.06, nor the fact that it's value depends on your current gear status.
    1% increase to mastery basiclly did nothing (there was a thread about this topic earlier let me find it for you) and the chart does take into account if you are hit caped or not. If you just want to ignore hit rating already just ignore the part about hit.

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    The chart has some assumptions made with it which are important in reading and following its instructions.

Also in the sticky, you will find a link to Gherkin's post in the Warlock forums about Hit. It is a well written article by a member of the simcraft team so his ideas on the subject should hold a high value of validity. While it may be in the Warlock forum, it is still relevant to Shadow Priests as well and should not be dismissed. I'll repost the link here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/824683
    Its well known you shouldnt proritze intel over anything including hit, but since you can't reforge intel the only thing you can do for it is gems. You shouldn't gem for hit which is also in the sticky I believe?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stat weights hold mostly true over varying degrees of ilevel increases. You are correct in your assumption of the 4.0.6 changes not being reflected but that was on purpose. At lower levels of gear, Mastery (barely) beats out Crit in 4.0.6 as shown below:

Results:
    Code:
    BIS 372 Live:
    		Int	Spi	SP	Hit	Crit	Haste	Mastery
    Scale Factors	2.9166	1.1427	2.3335	1.1489	1.2538	1.5788	1.1319
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3918	0.8001	0.3939	0.4299	0.5413	0.3881

BIS 372 PTR:
    Scale Factors	3.1298	1.1635	2.4192	1.1739	1.3473	1.6912	1.2677
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3717	0.7729	0.3751	0.4305	0.5404	0.4050

BIS 359 Live:
    Scale Factors	2.7919	0.9677	2.1768	0.9671	1.0445	1.2939	0.9738
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3466	0.7797	0.3464	0.3741	0.4634	0.3488

BIS 359 PTR:
    Scale Factors	2.9244	1.0057	2.3326	0.9908	1.0723	1.4095	1.0976
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3439	0.7976	0.3388	0.3667	0.4820	0.3753

Self 353 Profile Live:
    Scale Factors	2.4986	0.8966	1.9878	0.8929	0.9878	1.1312	0.9244
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3588	0.7956	0.3574	0.3953	0.4527	0.3700

Self 353 Profile PTR:
    Scale Factors	2.7352	0.9353	2.1537	0.9440	1.0818	1.2618	1.0982
    Normalized	1.0000	0.3420	0.7874	0.3451	0.3955	0.4613	0.4015
    Mastery simcrafts out to be slightly better than Crit. However, with the RNG of Shadow Orbs, it may not be possible to achieve these same results in a real raid setting. I feel Crit will still be better due to the difficulty of maintaining 100% Empowered Shadows up time. Also, with Shadow Priests being the Dark Intent target, having more Crit should help increase your raid's total DPS.

Given this information, the previously posted information is still relevant and should be followed, despite the 4.0.6 changes. If you read the link I posted then come back to the information above, that should sum up the point I'm trying to make rather well.

Also, the chart assumes that if you have Hit on a piece of gear and are hit capped, the hit you have is probably whats keeping you above hit cap so don't reforge it. There was a certain level of simplicity that went into its design as to encompass every single choice would make it very large and cumbersome. I opted to allow for neat presentation of the information and allow for people to use it as a guideline for what they should do.
    Last edited by New; 2011-01-15 at 12:56 AM.