A question forAssasination Rogues everywhere!

Hello everyone!

Right, so, I made a Rogue..
    got him to lvl 59 today.

I love him, may even make him my main...
    Although, his dps is staggeringly low.

I was at the bottom, and the healer nearly did as much damage as me.

So I MUST be doing something horribly wrong.
    I've applied poisons and stuff, maybe I have the wrong rotation? (Thats a very large hint to drop some of yours if possible.)

Can you help me out, Rogues?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm its a bit low to worry about your dps but an armory link would be better, make sure you have the faster weapon in the off hand with deadly on it and instant on the slower main hand. Be in stealth to start with for overkill and get a 5 point rupture up asap with mutilate to generate cps, after that just the 5 points on envenom (whilst refreshing rupture when it falls off) but pool your energy to 5-10 from max before using it to get the 2 mutilates in with the envenom buff active.
    Have not played my rogue in a while so things might have changed but i guess thats the jist of it, you would probably have better results by posting in the rogue forum.
    Anyone correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Hmm its a bit low to worry about your dps but an armory link would be better, make sure you have the faster weapon in the off hand with deadly on it and instant on the slower main hand. Be in stealth to start with for overkill and get a 5 point rupture up asap with mutilate to generate cps, after that just the 5 points on envenom (whilst refreshing rupture when it falls off) but pool your energy to 5-10 from max before using it to get the 2 mutilates in with the envenom buff active.
    Have not played my rogue in a while so things might have changed but i guess thats the jist of it, you would probably have better results by posting in the rogue forum.
    Anyone correct me if im wrong.
    Thanks a lot for that, I'll have to try that tomorrow, I'm off to bed now.
    Busy busy day tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

(Saved this page to favourites.)

Deleted
    The rotation generally goes Garrote>SnD>5ptRupture>5ptMut, but you will have trouble keeping this going without cut to the chase and venomous wounds talents.

The above is pretty much right, although your more likely to be using 4 Combo points for rupture and envenoms, rather than use mutilate at 4 and waste points.

that said, assassination rogues are really bad at 5 mans in general, mostly by the time you've got poison on a mob and slice up its probbaly dead. so you tend to lag behind classes that don't have any ramp up or "you must have X on the target before you can press Y"

Deleted
    Well, you can usually turn those last two in the rotation around. Specially if you have the talents to refresh SnD with Envenom.

Open with Garotte then Slice and Dice, the 1 or 2 combo-points you'll have at that point will be enough for the next part. Then 5 points worth mutilate into an envenom to max out your SnD duration. Themiller is right that you would like to wait for your energy to re-pool here for a bit. The bleed on Garotte should still be trickling away happily, giving you enough time to get more points and put up a 5-point Rupture when the bleed from Garotte drops off. Now, don't panic if an envenom or rupture falls off. You can only string a perfect combo against a practice dummy. Wait for 4 points at least, wait for energy to return; specially wait if you're on interrupt-duty to try and keep around 1/3rd to 1/2 of your energy bar in reserve. Your dps output won't suffer too much for it.

Never finish under 4 points. If you're assigned to go dps adds during a bossfight, always try and leave a Rupture ticking on the boss. Also switch to Backstab during the execution phase of a boss' hp (36% and below) once you have the appropriate talents/glyphs.

I may be overly redundant, but I should be asleep right now, not posting on forums

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    Hello everyone!

Right, so, I made a Rogue..
    got him to lvl 59 today.

I love him, may even make him my main...
    Although, his dps is staggeringly low.

I was at the bottom, and the healer nearly did as much damage as me.

So I MUST be doing something horribly wrong.
    I've applied poisons and stuff, maybe I have the wrong rotation? (Thats a very large hint to drop some of yours if possible.)

Can you help me out, Rogues?
    Coming from someone who has leveled 3 rogues and has 85 main assassin rogue i believe I can help you out abit here.

Even tho you didn't post the armory I managed to track down your rogue, his name is swindle right?
    Put 2 more points into puncturing wounds, either from blackjack or ruthlessness.

Also I'm guessing by dps you're referring to dps in dungeons where 99% is from trash, and let's face it muti sucks at aoe at lower lvls (higher lvls also but not as much). Still you should be able to pull off decent dps(400-500), Put instant MH and deadly OH.

Use mutilate to build up 4-5 cps then use snd or envenom, doesn't really matter much, generaly I'd use envenoms and 1cp snd's if ruthlessness procced but thats just me.

But if you want more dps get a decent slow MH and go combat, it should have amazning aoe, especially after new patch comes.

EDIT: Don't EVER use rapture, (maybe once you get venomous wounds and are fighting a wotlk dungeon boss, but if you aren't do not use it)

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    Well, you can usually turn those last two in the rotation around. Specially if you have the talents to refresh SnD with Envenom.

Open with Garotte then Slice and Dice, the 1 or 2 combo-points you'll have at that point will be enough for the next part. Then 5 points worth mutilate into an envenom to max out your SnD duration. Themiller is right that you would like to wait for your energy to re-pool here for a bit. The bleed on Garotte should still be trickling away happily, giving you enough time to get more points and put up a 5-point Rupture when the bleed from Garotte drops off. Now, don't panic if an envenom or rupture falls off. You can only string a perfect combo against a practice dummy. Wait for 4 points at least, wait for energy to return; specially wait if you're on interrupt-duty to try and keep around 1/3rd to 1/2 of your energy bar in reserve. Your dps output won't suffer too much for it.

Never finish under 4 points. If you're assigned to go dps adds during a bossfight, always try and leave a Rupture ticking on the boss. Also switch to Backstab during the execution phase of a boss' hp (36% and below) once you have the appropriate talents/glyphs.

I may be overly redundant, but I should be asleep right now, not posting on forums
    L2 read, if he wanted max lvl boss junk he'd look up EJ or some guides here.
    Non of what you just said holds water in low lvl dungeon where mobs die in seconds.
    Please go increase your post count somewhere else.

Deleted
    well shouldn't this be on the rogue forums?

Agree, Garrotte... Slice and dice... then start mutilating until you can do a 4 point envenom.

Some points, as lower level dungeons seem to go as quick as Wraith ones used to -

By the end of WOTLK my damage in dungeons sucked, despite being able to do very high raid damage. I just didnt have the time to even get poisons on targets let alone combo points.

If you aren't on a boss, there's a good chance your damage could be WELL behind everyone elses. Trash can often die so fast you cant even get 5 Deadly poison on it. Theres nothing you can do about that. If people complain about your damage tell them you're "specced for single target nuking" then after a boss fight point at your damage and go "HA!" (though make sure you learn above proper rotations first)

Slice and Dice is the most important to keep up.

Don't bother with rupture unless you're on a boss / tough mob. The mob will probably be dead very shortly and thus the bleed will be wasted. (plus dont think you have the talent yet to make it worthwhile)

Remember to move your combo points to the new mob, but even then you'l need to get Deadly built up on on them first so a lot of the time the points will be wasted anyway.

Learn (ready for 80-85) to use kick, cloak of shadows, feint and your other skills for damage mitigation. As a rogue you have the skills to be taking the less damage in any raid/instance and helping the healer immensely. Not as important in lower dungeons but you need to get these things into instinct so you don't have to think about them later on.

Remember you can put poisons onto fan of knives now. This will help give you some AOE, and can be used to slow mobs which is a LIFESAVER on some bosses (especially certain faceless ones who want to break some eggs)

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    ...but pool your energy to 5-10 from max before using it...
    It's not good to pool that close to cap. Hitting envenom at 115 energy WILL cap you.

Base energy regeneration is 10/sec, a dodged envenom would cost you another GCD, which is 10 energy gained--and that's at 0 haste rating.

Also keep in mind that the OP is only level 59 which grants him access only as far as rank 1 of cut to the chase, so he WILL need to manually refresh SnD on occasion.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2011-01-23 at 07:22 AM.