View Poll Results: Tom Hardy = Epic Bane?

Voters
60. This poll is closed
  • Yea!

48 80.00%
  • No Way!!

12 20.00%
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    My major issues with Dark Knight Rises:

1. The first 30 minutes of the movie introduces a slew of new and useless characters. They are relatively pointless and we don't give two shits about them. The police lieutenant who chases Batman instead of Bane after the stock exchange heist is a good example of a character we could have done without. In the end he joins the good fight wearing his uniform and ends up getting shot by one of the tanks in a very awkwardly shot scene, I couldn't help but think Nolan phoned in the direction to that.

2. Selina Kyle's back story is thin and weak and although she's a world class burglar, it doesn't explain why she can beat up the same guys that Batman beats up. A little meat to her story would have gone a long way in a 2h 45m film.

3. Bane was under utilized. Although I agree that Bane carried his weight very well on camera and brought something special to each scene (ie: We wanted to see him on camera) Nolan never actually goes into his back story enough to explain this guy. It strays a great deal from the comics and makes no mention of venom, which is fine. Nolan wanted to keep it somewhat grounded in reality. The whole pit of hell being born into darkness thing just doesn't cut it when you have a guy that looks like hes on steroids and his vericose veins glow when hes kicking ass. We needed more about Bane.

4. The pit of hell. Was it really that hellish? Was it even dark? The whole prison was rather well lit if you ask me. Flashbacks included. Bane described the prison as the worst place on earth. It seemed like sort of an ideal place for Bruce Wayne to recuperate from his back injury. Not only did he have someone paid to keep him alive and feed him, but the old prison doctor was there with him the whole time as well. No one tried to fuck with him and there didn't seem to be a single guard who was interested in him. Hell, everyone cheered him on during his escape attempts. What a nice little slice of hell!

5. Plot holes. The most blaring and obvious plot hole is after Bruce Wayne escapes from the Pit. We see him walk a few steps outside of the hole then all of a sudden he's walking up to Selina Kyle in Gotham wearing people clothes ... uhhhhhhhh ... what? Didn't Bane blow up all the bridges? Isn't the only connector to Gotham known as the exile? The batwing was still parked on top of a building so it wasn't the Batwing. Is there a Batsub we didn't get to see? This plot hole nearly knocked me out of my chair it was so obvious and lame.
    Last edited by luckybeer; 2012-08-07 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckybeer View Post
    My major issues with Dark Knight Rises:

1. The first 30 minutes of the movie introduces a slew of new and useless characters. They are relatively pointless and we don't give two shits about them. The police lieutenant who chases Batman instead of Bane after the stock exchange heist is a good example of a character we could have done without. In the end he joins the good fight wearing his uniform and ends up getting shot by one of the tanks in a very awkwardly shot scene, I couldn't help but think Nolan phoned in the direction to that.

2. Selina Kyle's back story is thin and weak and although she's a world class burglar, it doesn't explain why she can beat up the same guys that Batman beats up. A little meat to her story would have gone a long way in a 2h 45m film.

3. Bane was under utilized. Although I agree that Bane carried his weight very well on camera and brought something special to each scene (ie: We wanted to see him on camera) Nolan never actually goes into his back story enough to explain this guy. It strays a great deal from the comics and makes no mention of venom, which is fine. Nolan wanted to keep it somewhat grounded in reality. The whole pit of hell being born into darkness thing just doesn't cut it when you have a guy that looks like hes on steroids and his vericose veins glow when hes kicking ass. We needed more about Bane.

4. The pit of hell. Was it really that hellish? Was it even dark? The whole prison was rather well lit if you ask me. Flashbacks included. Bane described the prison as the worst place on earth. It seemed like sort of an ideal place for Bruce Wayne to recuperate from his back injury. Not only did he have someone paid to keep him alive and feed him, but the old prison doctor was there with him the whole time as well. No one tried to fuck with him and there didn't seem to be a single guard who was interested in him. Hell, everyone cheered him on during his escape attempts. What a nice little slice of hell!

5. Plot holes. The most blaring and obvious plot hole is after Bruce Wayne escapes from the Pit. We see him walk a few steps outside of the hole then all of a sudden he's walking up to Selina Kyle in Gotham wearing people clothes ... uhhhhhhhh ... what? Didn't Bane blow up all the bridges? Isn't the only connector to Gotham known as the exile? The batwing was still parked on top of a building so it wasn't the Batwing. Is there a Batsub we didn't get to see? This plot hole nearly knocked me out of my chair it was so obvious and lame.
    1: Fair enough, it feels as though this guy's scenes were simply cut for time.

2: You've got to remember, that Nolan's version assumes some knowledge of Batman, it's just a reinterpretation of various source materials. Again, time would be an issue expanding on everyone's back-stories.

3: Not sure if under utilized is how I would put it, he pretty much dominates the film, even when he's not on screen, the effects of his actions ripple throughout, constantly.

4: Agreed, it's not exactly pitch black hell-on-Earth exile. However, as explained at the end, Talia and Ra's went back and killed everyone that attacked her/Bane; if Bane tells them that someone's off limits, they won't touch that person.

5: If I remember correctly, we jump from 20~ days remaining to 12 hours remaining when Bruce turns up. It's taken the goddamn Batman 20~ days to get into Gotham.

The Dark Knight Rises is very nice movie and i watch this movie two time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    A couple of pointers to the people who keep referring to Selina Kyle as being pointless in the film:

1. She's one of the people who is directly affected by the rich of Gotham's vice grip on the city.
    2. She's the face of the many that want change, that we rarely get to see on screen.
    3. She's not a 'love interest' for Bruce, they just have a flirtatious relationship. As they do in the comics, other films and cartoons. Talia fills the roll as 'love interest' in this film.
    4. She gives us the duality of Gotham's poor; they want change, but she's unsure whether the change they've brought on themselves is really right or what's best for them.
    5. She is the catalyst for getting Bruce involved with current affairs and also the basis for Wayne Industry's downfall.
    6. By the end of the film, she can understand what Bruce has been fighting for all this time, though she still wants to do things her way, she can see that some of the rich at least want to try and make a difference.
    7. She is very similar in tone and style to the Year One Selina Kyle and a very strong female figure, who can stand on her own.
    8. Dat ass. (Sorry, but seriously.)
    #8, no effing kidding. I've always thought Anne Hathaway looks a little goofy with her hair up, though.

Overall I'd say DKR was worth the $8.50 to see it in theaters, but I do also agree with everyone else talking about plot holes and character inconsistencies/poor design decisions. It's kind of what I expect from movies these days, honestly.

I definitely agree that Alfred was played poorly here. The emotion still came through because Michael Caine is a fucking baller, but when you remove the emotional acting from the equation, you end up with a very not-Alfred-like dialogue.

Then again, I compare pretty much everything from modern Batman to the 1990s animated series I grew up on, and that cartoon beats everything to be honest.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    I did find the voice wierd, but other then that he was awesome !

Dark Knight Rises - BluRay/DVD today

So who here is getting the Dark Knight Rises today?

10+ Year Old Account
    im watching on blue-ray now

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdunn222 View Post
    im watching on blue-ray now
    Nice! Mine just got delivered via UPS. Stuck at work for another 2 hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got the last 3 Crowl editions at Walmart at midnight. they're numbered to 35,000. I feel special to have 3 of those. One for my dad (his favorite hero is Batman) one for my brother, and one for me. Crowl edition does not come with a DVD box though, they come in a round case and they are really packed in there. Overall, it's a pretty nice pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought it this weekend already and watched it sunday

Deleted
    I liked it, but not as much as TDK, imo that one kept the awesome meter super high through the entire movie. I liked Bane, even the voice, in my opinion it gave a clear sign that Bane isn't just massive muscles but rather massive muscles combined with some serious intelligence. Love how emotionless he was but wasn't just about how he could destroy the entire city if he wanted. It had a way deeper meaning, some may have found it cheesy, but I loved it. I do find that Nolan succeeded in portraying Bane as being quite big physically, because if I'm not mistaken, Christian Bale in real life is bigger then Hardy. Yet you didn't really notice it in the movie. Something a lot of people whined about before it was out.

I just disliked the end. Bane dies to stupid, suddenly Talia shows who she really is, but then it starts to go really fast. The "sacrifice" of Batman was a bit too cliché and I had the impression that Batman was more the DARK knight in the 2 previous films. Bringing fear in his opponents, hiding in the shadow then striking suddenly. Now it felt more like "I'm batman, I'm here, and I'm going to puch you all in the face. Then make a scene by flying off in my Batwing." I would rather had the dark knight again, not the hero so to speak.

Anyway, it might sound negative, but I truly enjoyed the movie like I did the previous ones. Surely one of the best trilogies I have ever seen. A brilliant interpretation of a superhero. A part where in my opinion nearly all other superhero movies totally fail in. This one didn't have Hollywood all over it. Kudos to Nolan really, he took Batman incredibly far in his own way.

watched it for the first time last night. good movie, but i had some issues that prevented it from being a great movie.

-i didn't really like the whole flow of the movie in general. it felt fairly scattered to me. they jumped around a lot and it didn't feel like the transitions were too well thought out.
    -cat woman ran around kicking ass with no explanation of how she was able, and to me that's a large piece of what i like about super hero movies. i want to know (with details) how they all got so bad ass.
    -i had a difficult time understanding what bane was saying on occasion. actually, now that i'm thinking about it.. there were more then a couple times in the movie where my wife and i had to go back and re listen to what someone said. gordon on the bed, batman, bane.
    -i felt like there was a lot of filler in this movie compared to prior two. at the same time i think they could have added to a few scenes. i guess this goes back to the flow of the movie again.
    -the ending kind of threw me off as well. bane's death, robin's intro, bruce wayne's fake death, etc.
    -i did like that bane broke batman's back in the movie, but then it made me want some of the other things from that story line. once they tossed the back breaking into the movie it made me a bit upset they didn't make it more cannon. bane had nothing to do with venom. Robin's story. etc.

movie is worth watching, but i think my standards were set pretty high considering how the first two went. i thought the second movie was done very well, and i can't imagine anyone ever doing the joker as well Ledger did at the role. it's an end to a trilogy, but i think it falls short of a great movie. this wont be a movie i'll own, but i'd love to have the first two on blu-ray.

i'm really curious how they plan to do batman in the justice league movie. i would expect him to be more "world's greatest detective".
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.