Thread: Account Warning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    i once told a person selling gold that they were f-wits, and was reported..so i knw the feeling.
    to be honest, swearing shouldnt be against the rules, simply because the game comes with profanity filter turned on. If you turned it off, that means u should be able to deal with swearing.
    I don't think it's swearing as much as offensive content. If you base this restriction on the assumption that a sizeable portion of the player-base is underage (or at least near the start of puberty), then throwing sexual vocabulary at them is, indeed, wrong.

This, of course, limits a great deal of people's scope of swearing, since a lot of the terms we use to swear pertain to sex. Some words, though, like crap or shit, I imagine, are fine, unless of course you use them to 'offend', 'abuse' or 'harass' someone.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-01-20 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
    Not being funny, but there is a profanity filter for a reason
    You might want to rethink that, yes the filter is there, but it's not there to allow people to swear.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...chQuery=filter

"Because there is a Mature Language Filter, is it ok to use obscenities in chat?

No. The Mature Language Filter is only an extra means of protection from obscenities in chat channels, not an excuse to use them."

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    i once told a person selling gold that they were f-wits, and was reported..so i knw the feeling.
    to be honest, swearing shouldnt be against the rules, simply because the game comes with profanity filter turned on. If you turned it off, that means u should be able to deal with swearing.
    The above is directed at you as well.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-01-20 at 11:48 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does the warning stay on your account? And if so.....for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by hardtofin View Post
    Does the warning stay on your account? And if so.....for how long?
    Like someone stated earlier in the thread, no one really knows. Only Blizzard would know, and they likely won't tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You might want to rethink that, yes the filter is there, but it's not there to allow people to swear.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...chQuery=filter

"Because there is a Mature Language Filter, is it ok to use obscenities in chat?

No. The Mature Language Filter is only an extra means of protection from obscenities in chat channels, not an excuse to use them."

The above is directed at you as well.
    who cares?its still there, if u dont like swearing, dont turn it off..pretty simple if u ask me..
    dont get me wrong, i understand what u mean, however if that offends ppl, then they rly shouldnt turn it off..

Well the funny thing is, some of them don't turn it off. While it does catch most things, some things still get through, be it because of misspellings, special characters or whatever. Even the quote I posted said it should be used as extra protection, but people should still refrain from it. I personally leave it off, because it blocks a few things that aren't exactly swearing. Swearing to swear, only makes someone look like an idiot to me. Swearing, like in the case you screwed up and it just came out, fine whatever, it happens. And things like that are what the filter is good at blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    The game comes with a 12+ rating, what if that was your 12 year old child who got abused by some random on the internet?
    Which is why they should just slap on 18+ rating and be done with it, or at least have 18+ realms. This game even has a swear filter anyone can turn on if they feel like seeing some particular words will cause them distress, and it comes with a handy kick feature you can use to get rid of people who are offensive. GMs wasting time on handing out warnings for swearing is inexcusable given that 90% of the time when you have a real problem you just get a canned response of no help at all.

It's completely outrageous that you can receive a warning for swearing when there's a profanity filter set by default to be on. Honestly, I can't believe I haven't gotten one after all these years of swearing at people in game. Maybe it has something to do with being excessive with it and/or racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    It's completely outrageous that you can receive a warning for swearing when there's a profanity filter set by default to be on. Honestly, I can't believe I haven't gotten one after all these years of swearing at people in game. Maybe it has something to do with being excessive with it and/or racist?
    Read my posts above, it's been this way since the game was released. And they don't monitor all chat channels, raid chats, group chats and the like on all servers at all times. It would take too much effort, so typically only people who get reported for it get warnings. And many people are too lazy to report.

Again, the filter existing and being on be default DOES NOT give you an excuse to swear. People just need to grow up and accept that.

Regardliss of what you said to the guy you broke the terms and conditions, yes you can swear in the game and not get in troubble but swearing at a palyer is offencive you broke the t&c you got punished for it, now you post here about ti saying gms don't do muh work and there all lazy which makes you look like an ignortant fool. If i was a GM i would of done the same thing because it is the rules as someoen else said in a privious post about smashing someoen with a bat it is the same thing man and you are just an idiot
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Lets face it your just plain wrong . If I was in court and I said " well judge I hit the guy with a bat because he was being a jerk and making my life hell " guess what ? I would still go to prison . Just because someone is being a jerk does not give you the right to tell them off . Don't get me wrong ive told off my fair share of jerks but in the end I was wrong for doing so . To answer your question only Blizzard knows how that warning system works . I know people who have got 5-6 warning for swearing and never got a temp ban or anything so ??
    Since you bring up a real life example, I just have to ask you. If someone in real life treats you like shit you just role over and let him/her kick you while your down?.. Sorry but WTF!!. If some one treats me like shit I would tell them off right away. Same thing goes for if some one was to hit me irl. If I could still stand up I would do everything in my power to make them pay.

Sorry for going off topic with this.

OT: In this case the problem here is that Blizzard are the ones making the rules and if they say you can't swear even though some one is acting like a DB, you can't. Simple as that. Does it suck? maybe, maybe not. But i'll give you that people can get away with being DB all the time in the time we are living in. It's sad, but true.

I had an incident about 3 years ago. I had some "kids" (around HS age) that kept wsp'ing me, calling me SLUT, WHORE, that kind of thing. I would ignore them, and they would create an alt and wsp me the same thing. I let it go on for about half a day, then finally told them to FUCK OFF! Yup, they reported me & I GOT THE WARNING. As far as I know, I haven't been reported since then, and I have no idea if it is still on my "permanent wow record." lol I would assume if you aren't habitually breaking the rules you should blow it off & not worry about it.