Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DC bug when flying while alt-tabbed?

I have a quick question to see if anyone else experiences this issue.

When I am flying between archaeology sites, I usually point myself in the direction of the next site, auto run, and then alt-tab to do other stuff. I get disconnected from the server when I cross over into a new zone or sometimes when I cross into a new area within a zone.

Anyone have a solution or know of the cause? Thanks.

Don't know any solution but I get the same thing most of the time.

don't have the game on this computer but i used to have the same problem, theres a fullscreen/window mode im pretty sure. thats the option that fixed things for me

>>in video options

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    don't have the game on this computer but i used to have the same problem, theres a fullscreen/window mode im pretty sure. thats the option that fixed things for me

>>in video options
    Yup, this is the fix for it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah only solution that I know is what glitch said

Same prob here. Damn u blizzard
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll put it in window mode next time I need to binge on some Archaeology.

Quote Originally Posted by Durakghar View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll put it in window mode next time I need to binge on some Archaeology.
    Just keep it in Fullscreen window mode. It looks exactly like normal fullscreen except that alt-tab is a lot faster.

Deleted
    yeh it get it too, never happend ever ever before the pre cata patch. Now if ur alt tabbed while moveing any great distance you will be Dced... its really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post

>>in video options
    Once you get duel screens turn this on. Now you can watch movies, websurf or music while pvp/raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    Just keep it in Fullscreen window mode. It looks exactly like normal fullscreen except that alt-tab is a lot faster.
    A second difference is that you might get fps differences on slower computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Same thing happens to me, but never happened pre-cata. It'd be nice to know if it's a bug that Blizz would be able to address though.

Got the same thing, even running it windowed only somewhat reduces the problem for me.
    I still DC every so often if I dare tab out. Get's really annoying when it breaks my dungeon queues aswell, they're long enough as DPS as it is.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use dual screen setup in windowed mode so I can work between screens. I cannot relate to your problem, but I would check graphics card drivers and possibly Direct X update.

It's not a bug. It's an anti-afk method Blizzard introduced. Only solution is not to alt-tab out, or to run the game in Windowed mode.

Yes, changing it to fullscreen windowed usually fixes it. The reason is that when you cross zones the game tries to draw something on the screen and gets no return response from the graphics drivers. When you alt-tab in fullscreen mode, your hardware completely stops caring about the visual look of that program. When its in windowed mode, it's always still working. I'm not positive because we''re talking like 5 years ago here but I'm pretty sure blizzard included that because of this and similar issues with getting out of the game in fullscreen. Windows/direct x version matters a little here. If you're using XP and thus DX9, I don't think it is very compatible with running it in the background anyway.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2011-01-20 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilariel View Post
    Got the same thing, even running it windowed only somewhat reduces the problem for me.
    I still DC every so often if I dare tab out. Get's really annoying when it breaks my dungeon queues aswell, they're long enough as DPS as it is.
    If you are in Windowed mode, you don't need to Alt-tab out, as your windows are in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen. Make sure you are not running in 'maximized' windowed mode, but just normal Windowed mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    It's not a bug. It's an anti-afk method Blizzard introduced. Only solution is not to alt-tab out, or to run the game in Windowed mode.
    This makes absolutely no sense. Please don't make things up. If it was really an anti-afk method they would have it be relative to windowed focus AFK or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Talk about creating problems rather than solving them... I find it hard to believe this was an intentional change by Blizzard, as a number of people will set themselves to fly alt-tabbed. I run in Windowed mode so I've never had this problem, but I frankly fly around and do stuff on my second monitor all the time - who wants to sit there and stare at the map while you wait to get to the right area? Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomity View Post
    Talk about creating problems rather than solving them... I find it hard to believe this was an intentional change by Blizzard, as a number of people will set themselves to fly alt-tabbed. I run in Windowed mode so I've never had this problem, but I frankly fly around and do stuff on my second monitor all the time - who wants to sit there and stare at the map while you wait to get to the right area? Silly.
    That is where Windowed mode comes into play. Set it to that and do your thing while flying, and then set it back once you reach your destination if you need to for performance issues.