Auction House Alchemy

on my server it seems that the cata elixirs and flasks cost the same (or less) as the materials required to make them. same with the rare gems

with these sort of prices how exactly do you make money on the AH if youre not a herbalist? is there something im missing?

I do my truegold transmute every day but that only brings in about 100g but I dont have access to a JC so it is hard getting gems cut and sold for profit

so how do people make best use of flask spec alchemy in this type of economy? it would seem even xmute spec without a JC doesnt even bring in the thousands that some people claim it does

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well "playing the auction house" is not typically the way most people make money. As a LW/skinner, I never sell anything on the AH. I don't make anything until someone commissions it from me at which point I charge for the chaos orbs and tip. I make them bring their own mats. This way, I never have a surplus of anything. If you are an alchemist and not making any money on the AH, then stop making flasks! Wait till someone needs some, get them to bring mats, and charge them a tip! That is 100% pure profit.

Deleted
    I guess it comes down to your server.

Mats are about 1/3 the price of flasks on my realm.

Deleted
    Same on my server. They're more expensive right now because people are using them to make inks for epic trinkets. As a result very few flasks are even hitting the auction house. My server has about 1 page of Titanic flasks, most of that page are mine:/

Deleted
    Helps to have a JC combined with Alch on an Alt. That way you CAN make thousands with Shadowspirit stuff.

But like you say, no access to a JC. Have you looked at the possiblity of just xmuting common gems in to uncut shadowspirits? That might get you some profit if you're careful not to spam the auction house... although on my server the hessonite and nightstone can rise to silly prices sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    This I find extremly hard to believe.

Since flasks can be mass produced in any quantity you want (no cooldowns needed, all recipes bought from trainer), if such an extremly high profit could be made, then all alchemists would just keep producing more flasks. Herb prices would go up, flask prices would come down. It does not make any sense to have a 200% profit on flasks.

On most servers flask prices are lower than herb prices. This probably is due to many people crafting flasks only to unlock guild cauldrons, and being prepared to sell them at a loss.

with these sort of prices how exactly do you make money on the AH if youre not a herbalist?
    If herb prices are higher than flask prices you keep losing money with Alchemy even if you gather your own herbs. You could have just sold the herbs in the first place.

My threshold is 30% for anything over 100g. If you can't make 30% in volume, sell the raw materials instead. If you can't collect raw materials, you're on the outside - find a way to gather.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k View Post
    I do my truegold transmute every day but that only brings in about 100g but I dont have access to a JC so it is hard getting gems cut and sold for profit
    How much does volatile life go for on your server compared to the other elementals? It might be more profitable for you to use the Living Elements transmute, especially in the places that guarantee what elemental you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by GeaMyaLor View Post
    Well "playing the auction house" is not typically the way most people make money.
    But it is the way a few people make more money than everyone else.
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
    How much does volatile life go for on your server compared to the other elementals? It might be more profitable for you to use the Living Elements transmute, especially in the places that guarantee what elemental you'll get.
    This.

I'm a 525 alch and I'm slowly working through the 2000 odd volatile life I have in my bank making about 450g a day from volatile air transmutes.

I also often see people in /2 selling their truegold transmutes for anything down to 25g, so I always ask if they're willing to head to uldum for a slightly better fee and do the elemental transmute instead (I wonder if they even know about the fact you can determine the nature of the element by the zone you're in).

Too easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I'm making 30k+ gold per day by just crafting Vial of the Sands.
    Mats cost me about 40k and people buy for 55k ( trade ) or 58k ( ah) giving me a 15k profit per drake I sell.
    Believe it or not but on my realm they get sold in like 2-3h. ( Can't believe people r that crazy to buy it )

EDIT: didn't really read what OP was saying, but the profit u make with alch really depends on ur server. OP's server seems to have bad eco so i doubt u will make any profit with xmutes and flasks.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2011-01-24 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    I guess it comes down to your server.

Total opposite for me. Mats are outrageous, usually 200g or more a stack for herbs and the elixirs that correspond go for like 10g a piece. Its a total waste and I hate farming herbs, either I hit the wrong spots or theres to many people farming them because I cant find shit for herbs but mining nodes are dime a dozen.

Make pots, they are really good for profit for me. I don't understand why people completely ignore pots. They are selling at 10-20g profit each on my server.

I've been dropping the respec fee to do bulk quantities of potions or flasks, which keeps me selling for several weeks and staying transmute the majority of the time. It's only profitable if you are doing bulk quantities and DON'T flood the AH.

maybe im just expecting bigger profit margins for flasks/elixirs than is actually possible

for the people who do manage to sell pots, elixirs and flasks, what is your usual profit per potion/elixir? like would you continue to mass sell these things if the profit was only 50s a pot?

also which elixirs and flasks are most used in raids these days?

I wouldn't sell pots for 50s per pot. They go for 10-20g profit per pot (More for Treasure Finding and others).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k View Post
    on my server it seems that the cata elixirs and flasks cost the same (or less) as the materials required to make them. same with the rare gems

with these sort of prices how exactly do you make money on the AH if youre not a herbalist? is there something im missing?

so how do people make best use of flask spec alchemy in this type of economy? it would seem even xmute spec without a JC doesnt even bring in the thousands that some people claim it does
    Not sure about your server, but check the prices for all of the new elemental thingys, air, earth, fire, water, life. One of them will be drasticly more expensive than the rest. Buy 15 Life every day, and transmute it into the most expensive one by travelling to the respective area.

There are a lot of factors to consider atm with flasks, Selling on raid nights? herbs being undercut by speed hackers? People hoarding herbs till patch comes for - Cauldron Guild Achievements / Mass Production for raiding / Profit / Crafting of Sandstone Drake etc.

Oh of course the players still leveling their alchemy will be selling their flasks normally undercutting for quick gold. I think atm there are quite a few elements that effect the market. It will probably hit more of a plateau after the patch and hopefully when / if the speed hackers who are mining and herbing from under the map are stopped.