Thread: Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Non-mage here, I got a question. Is it worth it for a fire mage to include scorch in their rotation if somebody else is applying the 5% crit buff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Damntastic View Post
    wotlk champs wants to run through instances like fucking mario

10+ Year Old Account
    On most fights you have to use Scorch so you don't go oom.

Currently Fire Mages using Molten Armor have to Scorch Weave, which is a combination of Fireball and Scorch spam.
    With just Fireball spam they go oom too soon.

There are some Mages (like me) who choose to use the Burst rotation (Fireball spam) with Mage Armor. For those Mages Scorch is a DPS loss, if someone else is applying the debuff we needn't cast it.

most fights in raid content require you to move a lot currently, so you scorch on the move, if there are other people applying the buff, like an aff lock, then you dont need to pick it up. if you manage your mana correctly, gemming early, and then evocating (usually with the last second of time warp) then you can (for the most part) avoid scorching

15+ Year Old Account
    Using Mage Armor over Molten+Scorch weaving is a DPS loss, especially with the lowered mana costs to the Fire tree.
    BfA Beta Time

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    u should play frost whena nother mage is applying critical mass

yea you dont wanna scorch spam but you deff want to weave it in and keep that debuff up its more of a chance for you to crit. why wouldn't you?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slayr View Post
    u should play frost whena nother mage is applying critical mass
    I heard Fire beats Frost on single target, and does it by a lot on fights with AoE

OP: I usually weave in a little bit Scorches or use Scorch when I am on the move. Got Evocation and Mana Gem, mana usually doesn't matter when I raid.

Can't wait for mana reduction tho.

Also; Molten Armor is 5% extra crit with the glyph, I don't see why you won't use it all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallto View Post
    Also; Molten Armor is 5% extra crit with the glyph, I don't see why you won't use it all the time?
    Because without Mage Armor a Burn rotation is not possible without going oom.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Using Mage Armor over Molten+Scorch weaving is a DPS loss, especially with the lowered mana costs to the Fire tree.
    I know that, but I personally find the Burn rotation + Mage Armor a lot more fun to play than the annoying Scorch Weaving + Molten Armor.
    My DPS isn't low either, but yes it could be higher. I do switch to Molten Armor at 35%, and with 4.0.6 I can cast Scorch while moving even without Molten Armor, yay~

15+ Year Old Account
    So wait, mashing Fireball is more fun than having to weave in an extra spell? My brain...she hurts.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Tag of Fire View Post
    Because without Mage Armor a Burn rotation is not possible without going oom.

I know that, but I personally find the Burn rotation + Mage Armor a lot more fun to play than the annoying Scorch Weaving + Molten Armor.
    My DPS isn't low either, but yes it could be higher. I do switch to Molten Armor at 35%, and with 4.0.6 I can cast Scorch while moving even without Molten Armor, yay~
    I just can't imagine deliberately doing something that is a DPS loss, even if I found it to be more fun. Even in this case though, you find continually casting fireballs to be more fun than fireballs with scorch's mixed in?

To each his own.