Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Herbalism thoughts.

Sorry if this has been mentioned/posted/asked before, but I'm just typing this real quick before our raid.

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to properly "farm" the new cata herbs? I mean I've noticed they nerfed the amount of herbs available (I remember leveling in Deepholm where there were tons of herbs in the swampy area), but nowadays it's kind of becoming unbearable, here's why:

- I'm on Stormreaver-EU, a nicely populated server, so ofcourse there are more people to gather the small amount of herbs there are available.
    - Phasing issues, which is still pissing me off on a daily basis. I don't see why we are able to see herbs, only to land and see it dissapear, how about we don't see them at all, or just leave them there to be herbed. I've completed all quests, so naturally I'm phased everywhere. I'm not making another character simply because I can't reach those herbs.
    - The sheer amount of herbs available in areas, for example Twilight Highlands. Only place to herb Twilight Jasmine, and there's tons of people there, always.

The few plus sides about my personal situation is that I am a Tauren, which means I can almost instant herb. Also have a 310% mount thingy, so that helps aswell.

The reason why I made this topic is simply because whenever I land to herb a herb, I notice either somebody else lands right after me, somebody is already herbing, or somebody is about to land. I used to let the guy herb if he lands earlier then me, but nowadays I just herb it even if somebody is herbing it already. People literally have to fight for herbs. In Tol Barad there's a nice path I take, but that place seems to be overrun with herbalists aswell. Not only that, but my server is a PvP one, so even in the normal areas I'd have to watch out.

Is anyone else noticing these problems? With the 8 herbs needed for a flask, prices will most likely drop etc, and it'll be easier to farm a lot of herbs to make flasks, but that won't change how hard it is to get to the herbs.

Don't you think it'd be a good idea to either put a bit more herbs in the game, or have them respawn faster if they are being herbed at a ridiculous rate? Because I don't plan to farm herbs in 4 in the morning I'm afraid.

Deleted
    I agree, herbs are really hard to come by in Cata. Some more than others. For example, Cinderbloom you can find everywhere, Whiptail and Twilight Jasmine are a bit tougher to farm but it's not that bad.

However, Heartblossom is practically impossible to find ever since they overnerfed the nodes in Deepholm. The prices on AH reflect this imbalance. I just hope they fix it somewhere down the line.

Farming for flasks is almost impossible (And cerntainly not worth the time), which makes my secondary profession alchemy almost redundant

Twilight Jasmine for me literally vanished when I started doing quests >.> My map is COVERED in Twilight Jasmine but now I am literally phased out of almost all of them : / Maybe I need to complete the quest chains to reopen some? I hope just been too lazy to do it.

Whiptail is a bitch to farm. Fortunately in the early hours of the morning 6am seems to be the sweet spot that no one is around. TB is dead and still a few in Uldum but not enough people to make me want to rip my hair out.

Heartblossom if your phased like I am >.> is a bitch to get. I had no idea by finishing the stonefather quest chain I would lose all the nodes in Needlerock Chasm. So I guess that is yet ANOTHER place I need to completely finish.

I am terrified to do any quests in TH on my miner for fear of losing all the nodes. Because there are a TON around Grim Batol.

Maybe I am spoiled bc of WOTLK but damn WG had it all and the mats for flasks were such a small amt. Can't wait for them to lower the amt of herbs needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    well i got about 30 stacks of heartblossom and other herbs while i was leveling at the first and the second day, but there were no one else gathering the herbs - now there is a lot of farmers. It's good to be a tauren druid :P
    I tried to sleep on my keyboard - Not a good idea, WASD on the cheek in the morning.

Heartblosson is the hardest to get for sure. Doing the wildhammer dailies has made it easy to accumulate Twighlight Jasmine over time.

Does anyone know if they hotfixxed the Flight form speed bug or know if it's going to be changed in the patch? I know this isn't the druid forums but as an herbalist I would much rather herb in flight form as long as I am not getting crapped out of 40% flight speed.

I'm not finding trouble farming anything but heartblossom( obv)
    anyway 2 things bother me about herbing
    1 phasing- unless you finish a zone herbing is a bad idea. I completed half of deepholme and i can only find 3 herbs while flying around the whole place for 30 min
    2 price drop- up until a week ago herbs were all 200g plus(except cinderbloom) than all of a sudden some guy put out about 8-10 stacks of every herb for 170g and since them herbs have been jumping between 140g and 160g
    in other words i lost alot of profit

Deleted
    you think you lvl 85's have it tough. i have a mining/herbalist dk at lvl 79 at the moment, who is doing herbalisme in TH. its not only the competition that i have to look out for, but also the npc's and monsters and all that stuff. its always nice when there are 3 npc's standing on top of a twilight jasmin. ofc you'll all say to just lvl the dk but i apsolutly dislike melee classes. on the upside since they started giving xp per herb/mining node i've been lvling him through that. 5800 xp per node isn't that bad of a deal. i have noticed that even going out there at 4am paris time, with almost no competition, that the respawns are rather low. i do the path for herbs and almost always end up with more ore's than herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoijimbo View Post
    well i got about 30 stacks of heartblossom and other herbs while i was leveling at the first and the second day, but there were no one else gathering the herbs - now there is a lot of farmers. It's good to be a tauren druid :P
    That is because the spawn rates were ridiculously high for the first day or two. They nerfed them to oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    That is because the spawn rates were ridiculously high for the first day or two. They nerfed them to oblivion.
    That would of been the best time to herb but I lvld my hunter first she is LW/Skin and I only got a small amt of time to enjoy the skins off stonebats before that was nerfed still sad about that one.

it's keeping the price up, and such I'm making the same net gold.

good for me on the herbalist side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    And they said that they had removed "a few" nodes ... I wonder what Blizzard considers "a few", to be honest. Yet, they're bringing down the Guild Achievement for Flasks made (by a factor of 10!), as well as making Flasks cheaper (by roughly 33%) to make, because they noticed how little people were making Flasks.

I really don't understand how they can't realise that by making the herbs sparse, people are actually being conservative about using them and therefore only make Flasks when they have to. Once content becomes somewhat easier (not only in raiding, but also in dungeons), people are less and less likely to be using Flasks because they're so pricy. Not to mention there's another Tradeskill (Inscription) that requires Herbs as well.

While WotLK Flasks were too easy to make, I think Cata Flasks could use a (small) Herbal growth boost ...

I completed all the Twilight Highlands quests, and much of the jasmine still phases out, so it's not a problem of a person not completing all the quests. I haven't seen a node of stormvine in probably a month in Hyjal, I do a fly around of Highlands for a half hour and maybe get 8 jasmine if I'm super lucky. The only thing alch is good for these days are truegold transmutes really.

Deleted
    I'm a herbalist myself, and I noticed this. However, I developed a route in Deepholm which is REALLY great. First of all you'll need the AddOn's GatherMate2, and GatherMate2_data. Set that up, import the data to Gathermate. Now look at the map, it looks like there is 2 rings, an inside ring, and an outside ring. What you're gonna wanna do is do the inside ring first, and then do the outside ring. Rinse and repeat.
    I've made over 10k gold farming herbs this way. (Also buying the insanely undercut ones, and selling them the next day for double profit )

Final note, most people don't do the inner ring, so there is a lot of herbs there normally, but don't farm it too much, do 1 lap around then switch to the outer ring.
    (I'll post a screeny later if you want)

I am on a high pop server with 100s of goldfarming bots keeping the prices down. If you are lucky you can catch them in trade dumping a few hundred stacks in trade in order to meet some kind of deadline.

Also the new model for gathering is to have a lot less nodes, and a much more dynamic respawn rate, so some of the best farming can be done at high population times by just circling the same few nodes over and over. I have often spent 10-20 mins farming the same 3 nodes, and frequently end up stuck at a node that respawns just as you are about to fly off.

Paradoxically farming at 2-8 am is often difficult as only the hard to find nodes are up, and the respawn rate is so low you spend a long time looking for them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Themegatron View Post
    Farming for flasks is almost impossible (And cerntainly not worth the time), which makes my secondary profession alchemy almost redundant
    That makes no sense. Your alchemy is only "redundant" if the AH price of materials is higher than the AH price of flasks. Whether you happen to be good at farming herbs or not has nothing to do with it.

Ive found its very hard to actually farm mines or herbs now tho, as people are farming constantly while demand is still up for everything. As demand lowers availability will go up as it becomes less profitable for your time.

Same thing happened in every expansion so far tho, early on nodes were heavily farmed for the gold value, but as time goes on prices drop and other means become faster gold to people. As it is, I spend 60g-120g per stack of ore currently, and require 1-2 per BS point on average atleast, plus recipe costs of 1-4 stacks of elementium so farming 2-3 stacks per hour is easily 300g worth now. Saronite in wrath was the same, it was up at 40'ish gold per stack for a long time, before crashing to 12-13g per stack on my server. I could get 4 stacks per hour easily then, but running a random heroic was much more gold per hour. Adders tongue/the other flower in sholazar etc with my druid was the only viable gold making herb - 8-10 stacks in an hour @ 20g per stack selling and eternal lifes to boost the gold also.

TLDR - Prices and farming will sort themselves out in a few more weeks/months as it becomes less prominent for making large sums of gold. Also flasks will be much cheaper overall for raiding due to cauldrons churning out plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephestos View Post
    Does anyone know if they hotfixxed the Flight form speed bug or know if it's going to be changed in the patch? I know this isn't the druid forums but as an herbalist I would much rather herb in flight form as long as I am not getting crapped out of 40% flight speed.
    If you're referring to the guild perk Mount Up not affecting flight form, that is indeed being fixed in the patch.

I have had alot of trouble farming herbs for Alch. When i get to a Node to pick it disapears, or in the middle of a pick a Druid will come in flight form and pick when i am already picking(about halfway thru the pick) and steal my herb. I have reported this to GM with no awnser other than to keep repoting. I dont know if this is a speed hack to take my herb while im in mid pid pick, but if i have to dismount to pick and Herb then mount back up, so should eveyone else. I can see all these gold farmers swarming to roll a Druid with flight form to pick your server dry. CAN WE GET A BLUE POST ON THIS PLEASE?