Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stump of Time dependency *scratches arms*

Removed Stump of Time for Tharalion's Mirror and I need your guys' input. But real quick let me say that I know EJ puts Int well above Hit as far as stat weighting, but I am extremely uncomfortable not being hit-capped. That said, here is what I sacrificed and what I gained, and I need to know what you all think.

Lost:
    -90 Int from food
    -100 Int from gems
    -35 Mastery and Minor Run Speed increase from boot enchant
    -67 Crit Rating

Gained
    +321 Int
    Enough Hit Rating to reach the lousy goddamn Hit cap

Should I accept ~2.5% chance to miss and recover what I've given up? Thanks for your time everyone.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-01-29 at 07:12 PM.

I strongly suggest being hit capped. Missing keys spells can ruin a pull on things like heroic halfus, maloriak green phases, snares on omno slimes, magmaw parasite CC/dps, all sorts of interrupts, etc etc etc.

With that said, I'm a strong believer that minor run speed >>>>>>>>> everything, so try to make up that hit elsehwere and keep lavawalker imo. Aside from that, you gain 111 intellect for 35 mastery and 67 crit. Absolutely worth it, without even a calculator. Even if the stat weights were equal between the three (and boy are they not) the mirror combo would win out by 9 intellect.

Deleted
    Though it is a side note. You're reforging too much haste, you need 516.

I personally just go back to the stump of time if i were you. Theralion's mirror isn't THAT good. And the stump of time ovbiously allows you to gain a lot of intellect from your food and gems etc which makes the worth of theralion's mirror even less.

Edit: You have 12.98 mastery. so lavawalker is kinda helping your dps.
    Last edited by mmoc64101a82b8; 2011-01-29 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    Though it is a side note. You're reforging too much haste, you need 516.

I personally just go back to the stump of time if i were you. Theralion's mirror isn't THAT good. And the stump of time ovbiously allows you to gain a lot of intellect from your food and gems etc which makes the worth of theralion's mirror even less.

Edit: You have 12.98 mastery. so lavawalker is kinda helping your dps.
    Come to think of it, I was just comparing his stats directly. Mirror is probably worse because stump has a SP proc whereas mirror has a mastery one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand... Why wouldn't you just reforge up to hit cap? Have you tried Reforgenator to double check whether it's possible? You have a decent ilevel. I can't imagine that you wouldn't have the stats to get hit capped....

Deleted
    Every single piece of his gear has been reforged to hit or already has hit on it.

Imo, the proc effect is what makes stump>>> mirror. The int is great but the proc is terrible for us. All in all stump is up there with dmc:volcano and the bell. Id go back to it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I lost my 516 Haste Rating as well... Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    I strongly suggest being hit capped. Missing keys spells can ruin a pull on things like heroic halfus, maloriak green phases, snares on omno slimes, magmaw parasite CC/dps, all sorts of interrupts, etc etc etc.
    Adds generally aren't raid-boss level, so you can be hit capped at lower than 17%. Though it's definitely nice for interrupts.
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

The only thing superior to Stump is the Darkmoon Card. So unless your rolling with the Darkmoon Card use both the mirror and stump. In the next patch if your Alchy you will be able to make the new trinket which if my napkin math is right it will definitely beat the mirror and it might even be better then stump from a pure dps standpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use stump and mirror currently. The Jump to 40% dmg is nice, but no, I wouldn't go underhit cap. Despite what EJ says, I say Hit cap first, then int and so on.

Deleted
    Isn't the reason for int > hit that it looks good on paper aka it's a minor loss but since you can just say that overall you'll have 2.5% chanse to miss but in practise it might end up just being bad due to missing key spells, loosing mana faster (since you need to recast lb etc) and the chanse of procs / cds missing

All of that is taken into account on paper Resania, but yeah, not being hit capped can lead to RNG loss of DPS. Its up to the player. But the best way to go imo is to go for as much int as possible (yes double int trinkets no hit trinkets) and then reforge everything you can to hit and gem blue sockets for hit. You should be able to get hit cap even with double int trinkets, im only slightly off on my mage and hes not even that geared.

Of course, always take into consideration the value of the proc / on use when looking at int trinkets. An Int trinket with a haste proc may not be as valuable as one with a spell power proc, even if lower item level.
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-01-31 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rethea View Post
    I don't understand... Why wouldn't you just reforge up to hit cap? Have you tried Reforgenator to double check whether it's possible? You have a decent ilevel. I can't imagine that you wouldn't have the stats to get hit capped....
    OMG didn't know about that addon looks amazing, thx Rethea!

This should be easy for a veteran/seasoned mage. You want to have at least 16.5% hit. Your 15.5% is crap, intellect is valuable sure but worthless if you miss and waste mana. Change your ring for something like band of rays or the one from Deadmines for more hit/crit. Your haste is crap too reforge on hit crit items into haste for now. Meta is crap too. Don't consider the enchant boot minor speed/mastery enchant you don't have the gear high enough level of gear to make other stats work. I too atm am running with stump of time/DMC combo but very soon i will replace it when i get a 1-2 more items. I don't like the uptime that much on stump but its the best hit trinket out their for ranged. I'd rather have the Bell or Heart of Ignacious thats just me.
    Last edited by Snuff.20; 2011-01-31 at 11:12 PM.

Just like to add too if you read the EJ post they strongly recommend being hit capped :P it's not like their saying to get int over being hit capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Brask View Post
    Just like to add too if you read the EJ post they strongly recommend being hit capped :P it's not like their saying to get int over being hit capped.
    0.o last I checked EJ SPECIFICALLY states that Int is even stronger than hit, but hit is always the strongest secondary stat...

heres a quote from the fire mage post...

"

Intellect is King - the strongest stat by far. Much stronger than even Hit. Intellect is a Primary Stat. It increases our Spell Power, Critical Strike Chance and our Mana. Due to the strength of Intellect: we aggressively Gem, Enchant and Gear towards maximising the amount present on our gear.

"

Quote Originally Posted by Brask View Post
    I believe they are saying exactly that actually.

At least they were.

(Don't sacrifice int for hit, but sacrifice all other stats).

AFAIK it's pretty hard to not get hit capped while also trying maximize your int though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    0.o last I checked EJ SPECIFICALLY states that Int is even stronger than hit, but hit is always the strongest secondary stat...

heres a quote from the fire mage post...

"

Intellect is King - the strongest stat by far. Much stronger than even Hit. Intellect is a Primary Stat. It increases our Spell Power, Critical Strike Chance and our Mana. Due to the strength of Intellect: we aggressively Gem, Enchant and Gear towards maximising the amount present on our gear.

"
    EJ is based on math and spreadsheets, in an expansion like cataclysm, thats pretty damn worthless. Hit will always be key if you have to interupts or whatever, and missing key spells can mess up your rotation severely.

Dont just trust nabkin math, use your head. Ofc you wanna be hit capped, nothing has changed in that matter.

Like i said in an above post, if you want to avoid all RNG dps losses then go with hit cap as first priority (over int). If you want to maximize potential dps (potential!!!!!) then go with int over hit. I am not hit capped on my mage and I am doing perfectly fine dmg... 15-16k in 351 ilevel non gimmick fights.

Edit: My dps ranges from 12k to 16k depending on the movement involved during CDs, incorrectly estimated combustions etc, probably I average around 13.5k