Destro,Demo or Affli for Arena.

As the title says, do you prefer Destro,Demo or Affli for Arena's. My setup for 2v's is with a Holydin, what would be your prefferable spec and why.

I don't really know how to say this but you are better off just finding a 3rd person.

Destro has close to 0 damage against anyone who can dispell immolate.

Demo tends to be better off with double dps for a "CDs->kill".

Affliction would probably be your best bet but games can take forever, especially after mana drain is gone.

nice not what i wanted to know tho

affliction is really fun, destruction is really fun but hard to get good damage out with, demo sucks - dont do it. go affliction!

Deleted
    running with a holypaladin, theres about 1 option : go affliction. but be prepared for looooong games ... played that comb for about 3 seasons at 2300

wont be the same after mana drain is gone though, and i´m not sure if its viable then, but you´ll see

Deleted
    The answer is quite simple.

Holydin along with an affli lock is the most powerful of the three specs. And it does currently have the potential to go all the way.

Grab yourself a rogue buddy, spec destro roll with a succu. Control and burst, GG!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
    I only shave my beard and balls.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would go for affli, i play affli myself and have done some bgs and stuff just to test it out in pvp and i can tell you that when you get your 4 dots on the target he is doomed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dakoeda View Post
    Grab yourself a rogue buddy, spec destro roll with a succu. Control and burst, GG!
    Destro with rogue for control and burst? What are you on about? Destro is so worthless with the state of dispells atm.

You shouldnt play anything but affli lock, and get some really really high resilience! It becomes insanely nice.

I took down a couple of ferals at once in a rated BG the other day with 381k dmg done and 181k healing done, granted they must have been quite shit not to land the kill, but it shows that Affli is at a really place atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done all specs in arenas and they all have their uses.

Affliction is the most popular as it gives an insane amount of control comps like afflict restro have been good in pretty much every arena season.
    Affliction is probably my least favorite spec to have to use in arenas because its so boring and depending on what you are fighting the matches can go on for a long long time. The next patch will hurt affliction really hard in pvp and I'm unsure how good it will be after the nerfs. Affliction does medium damage at a constant rate to single or multiple targets.

Destro is similar to a ele shammy or a fire mage. Your cc is less than and afflict locks the only real cc coming for succubus. Destro can be good in some comps but does not have the self healing of affliction or the ability to withstand melee attackers like demo. Destro does however have great single target damage and good defenses against other casters. There are some good comps but it is pretty much very similar to a fire mage. Destro does high damage at a somewhat constant rate a single target.

Demo is my favorite spec to play and is the most frowned on for arenas. Demo has always been a spec that was scarce in arenas and its functionality is similar to beast masters and combat rogues. Demo locks rely heavily on long cds and short periods on insane burst damage. Patch 4.0 made demos alot more viable in arenas as their pets were given some great moves. Similar to destruction demo is lacking in the cc compartment they only have fear and their pets stun and they do not have shadowfury, instant howl of terror, seduce, or uncleanseable fear. Many of demo's casts are extremely long and it is easy to get interrupted or spelllocked. Demo is the most resistant class to melee attackers while in demon form you will have 75% reduction to melee atks that + your 25% reduction from soul link (glyphed) and the reduction you get from your resilience makes demo locks incredibly hard to kill while in demon form. They are no longer susceptible to demonic ccs such as turn evil and banish and their pet hits extremely hard while demonic empowerment can break ccs on your pet and make it immune to them for a short time. I have rambled to much already on demo locks while they are frowned upon by most high rated players demo locks can work well in burst teams. They can be good in double dps 2s and they are pretty much a duel spec class being the strongest class when compared in 1v1 encounters. Demos bring to the table stuns short periods of high burst damage and the best aoe damage of all lock specs.

A quick recap of the specs;

Affliction
    Control: A
    Burst: D
    Average Damage: C
    Survivability against melee: C
    Survivability against ranged: C
    Self healing: A

Destruction
    Control: C
    Burst: C
    Average Damage: A
    Survivability against melee: D
    Survivability against ranged: B
    Self healing: C

Demonology
    Control: F
    Burst: A+
    Survivability against melee: A
    Survivability against ranged: D
    Self healing: D

*Edit added in Survivability grades against melee and ranged and also self healing grades.

Any spec can reach about 2300 rating pretty easily and you should choose whichever spec you are most used to just make sure to run with partners whose abilities compliment your own.

Thats pretty much all I have to say on this topic hope it helped and hope I didn't ramble to much
    Last edited by lightgil; 2011-01-29 at 10:59 AM.

Arenajunkies.com

stupid question maybe, Wich of the 2 armors to use.
    edit:
    Because the healing of 1 is nice and ofc the spellpower of the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirjeize View Post
    stupid question maybe, Wich of the 2 armors to use.
    edit:
    Because the healing of 1 is nice and ofc the spellpower of the other.
    If you are playing with a healer I would say demon armor for sure if not fel armor. The heals you get from that are still great and the spell power is also great. HOWEVER, after patch felarmor is getting knocked out of the park by the nerfbat for pvp viability and will offer almost no self heals so demon armor 100% of the time after next patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    A quick recap of the specs;

Affliction
    Control: A
    Burst: D
    Survivability against melee: C
    Survivability against ranged: A
    Self healing: A

Destruction
    Control: B
    Burst: Average Damage: A
    Survivability against melee: D
    Survivability against ranged: B
    Self healing: C

Demonology
    Control: B
    Burst: A+
    Survivability against melee: A
    Survivability against ranged: D
    Self healing: D
    fixed it for u.

Sorry, my head aches terribly at the moment so i won't read any of the above posts

it all depends on your pal. What class is he? What spec?

in general with a pala healer (as you said) affliction is best. The only prob is when you hit another healer/dps combo. the fight can last for like 30 minutes.. anyway, aff/healadin grants near immunity against melee classes (with devo+demon armor and 2k resi you have like 60%+ physical resist), an easy time against casters (felpuppy,fear,hammer etc etc) while against healer you have drain mana (for now at least.. blizz will remove it at next patch) and a few more silences/interrupts etc to play along.

ALWAYS use glyphed soul swap/bane of havoc or any other multiple target ability you have. As a destru i had bane on the dps and was killing the healer. The dps died before the healer.

i believe best combos whatsoever are destruXrogue/caster, DemoXmelee/shaman ele.

Holy pally/aff is very viable for 2s, destro hits like a wet noodle and has zero dispel protection.

Aff is built to outlast, so expect some long games. Melee still hit us hard, regardless of resil, but the more resil you have the easier it is to take those hits.

3s are more balanced atm [is there even such a thing]

Your counters will be:

fmage/spriest, fmage/rogue, ret/prot warr REALLY hurts, anything with a rshaman, or any aff comp [aff/rogue sucks, aff/fmage is pretty bad because you can't dispel ANYTHING without consequence, aff/healer]

Edit: Use demon armor almost ALWAYS, the healing increase it gives you is amazing. If NO ONE is on you however and are training your pally, switch to fel armor. HTH
    Last edited by Tinkerspell; 2011-01-29 at 09:15 PM.

what i was wondering, does anyone have a tip on how to counter Frost mages/rogues because i hit the floor atm before even being capable to move.

Deleted
    Versus frost mage I tend to cast UA, Corr, curse and bane. Just spam fel flame then, drain life and haunt fucks corruption up, you need to cast UA too much otherwise.
    Rogues, depend on how they start. Demon armor is priority, together with corruption, howl of terror, get ready to fear, if HoT not trinketed -> UA, haunt, refear, other dots, but bane/curse of exhaustion on him if he is near out of your 40 range, wait till he cloacks, portal once he reopened, and repeat again.
    This is what I do, not sure if it is the best. Warriors / resto shamans, I just avoid those.

Demo is horrible. Destro is viable with a Mage Lock shaman.

Affliction with pretty much everything.
    Lock -- My Main
    Druid -- My Alt