How would you start your story?

Hey, everyone.

First, a disclaimer:

I'll be honest - I'm not entirely certain this is the proper place for this. However, I've noted a few other off topic threads and the stickys aren't clear. So if this thread is best suited elsewhere, I'd ask a moderator to kindly move it. Otherwise..!

I'm writing a story set in Quel'Thalas and Outland, surrouding the events of the Burning Crusade. This thing has been four years in the making without a single word finding its way to paper. I've finally taken measures to resolve myself to writing it and am really excited for the progress I've made so far.

That said, believe it or not, I don't have the beginning sorted just yet.

But Zael! I hear you cry. How can you have a story with no beginning?!

Exactly. I have the rise to the first part sorted, but I can't figure out where to begin.

So, I will humbly ask the good folks of MMO Champion: Do you think the story should begin with a prologue of sorts to set the history for a person who may not be familiar with the Third War and the events leading up to TBC? Or should I jump immediately in to the protagonist's conflict, you figure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted
    Prologues are overrated. Jump straight into the story and hook the reader right away, yeah.

It depends on whether your audience would be people who actually know the background information or not. If you don't put the prolgue to get people up to speed, people could very well be confused as to why stuff is happening if they don't know the lore.