Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm already bored with WoW, so when I got into this weekend's Rift Beta I decided to have a bit of a play. Perhaps I'm just over the whole 'Fantasy MMO' aspect, because I played for roughly 3 hours, and didn't really want to pick it up again today.

I created a few characters and had a dabble with the 'Souls' - which is the talent trees. I like the possibility of mixing and matching a tonne of options from talent trees. I made a Fire mage, but also put points into being an Elementalist, so I had an Earth Elemental pet to tank for me. In the end, its just a tad too familiar. Like I said, I'm bored of WoW, so found myself bored of this very quickly too.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I don't really enjoy Rift, but it's not the game itself, as much as it is the theme. I'm starting to get sick of the fantasy themed MMOs, and I have yet to play any good Sci-fi themed MMOs (EVE, Star Trek, etc.). Hopefully SW:TOR lives up to the hype, but we all know what hype does to games : \

Nonetheless, Rift does look like a really good game, played a little of the beta. Love the character progression!

Quote Originally Posted by voltisfy View Post
    Ive been playing wow for about 6 years now, and i have to admit i enjoy rift. The way they do the talent trees is amazing, it gives you so many possibilities. Its looking like great game to compete with wow in my opinion.
    yeah it seems that way always, and then in endgame you either skill the one way or you are a loser,
    face it ... talent trees can never have "a lot of possibilites" and be balanced ... they either make you the best possible tank/dd/healer or they dont which means you dont skill them ... its like the old WoW trees ... they gave a lot of possiblitiey you never would use.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    These threads are tiresome. Play the game you enjoy. Post here if you have some fun/interesting/relevant information about other games. I love wow, but my account is cancelled for now. Why? Cause ever since they introduced dailies I have seen the game go downhill for "ME". I do not enjoy logging in every day to do the same dailies, hit up a random heroic, and maybe farm for whatever time I have left. This is why I was ready to quit MMOs.

Then I tried Rift, and honestly I enjoy it. I am a supporter, however I know that the game will live or die by what they have to offer an endgame and if they can keep content coming at a good pace(what Blizzard is actually great at, consistent release of quality content). There is a HUGE change I get bored in a few months and write off the wasted money as one last attempt at enjoying MMOs again.

But to the people on both sides of the fence, please remember we are gamers, we play these games to enjoy our downtime. Flaming games other people play is pretty ridiculous. I hate personally playing Guitar Hero/Rock band, racing games, and RTS games, but making fun of them to people who enjoy them just sounds pointless.

Tonight, on the Beta, there was an invasion of EPIC proportions. Rifts opening everywhere, literally several hundred elite enemies spawning all over the map, running rampant, enormous giants that HAD to be killed for the items needed to stop the invastion, and there was much death and carnage as this huge army just obliterated nearly the whole map a few times.

Then, as I was running trying to avoid stuff and just LIVE, I saw it. A huge group of players, everyone had banded together, and they moved like locusts, swarming every enemy in sight, like a flood. It was almost a living thing, it looked like, moving like a school of hungry fish as we moved from objective to objective, devouring every mob and rift in sight, til we finally made our way to the source and ended it.

It was amazing. Everyone, together, in a epic battle to keep our area clear of these rampaging enemies. I've never seen anything like it.
    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. "

Sadly RIFT stand almost no chance at all against WOW because it doesn't have the features required to be a real long term alternative.

By example:
    * Lot of people talk about RIFT story and the fact they like great lore like blizzard did build for WoW. Even Warhammer was better on this point. (and we know what Warhammer state is today)
    * Hardcore players want end game feature, with instances and hard bosses that takes weeks (or even months) to the best guilds to defeat them. This players ask for challenge. At the same time this challenge creates interest even for the casual players that can see the servers activity and people wiping and wiping until they manage to be server first. You know what I talk about if you ever seen fan club guilds. I don't mean the game shouldn't be casual friendly, but it has to be Hardcore friendly. Of course wow started without this aspect, but Wow started without Wow as concurrent.
    * WoW isn't the best at all the features it contains, it's simply overall good. You will find games that have better PVP by by example, games that have better Graphics. The only part that seems better in WoW for the moment is PvE, and personally I think there is enough place today to realise much better since WoW only serve the same stuff each expansion without any real revamp or improvement. If a concurrent want a chance today, he need to strike where it hurts and create the features that are clearly outdated in WoW.
    * While I think it's normal in a large way to "copy" wow, a simple copy is not enough to stand a chance. Each time a solid challenger to wow is released, we don't talk about it anymore 2 months after. It will be the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygleen View Post
    Sadly RIFT stand almost no chance at all against WOW because it doesn't have the features required to be a real long term alternative.

By example:
    * Lot of people talk about RIFT story and the fact they like great lore like blizzard did build for WoW. Even Warhammer was better on this point. (and we know what Warhammer state is today)
    * Hardcore players want end game feature, with instances and hard bosses that takes weeks (or even months) to the best guilds to defeat them. This players ask for challenge. At the same time this challenge creates interest even for the casual players that can see the servers activity and people wiping and wiping until they manage to be server first. You know what I talk about if you ever seen fan club guilds. I don't mean the game shouldn't be casual friendly, but it has to be Hardcore friendly. Of course wow started without this aspect, but Wow started without Wow as concurrent.
    * WoW isn't the best at all the features it contains, it's simply overall good. You will find games that have better PVP by by example, games that have better Graphics. The only part that seems better in WoW for the moment is PvE, and personally I think there is enough place today to realise much better since WoW only serve the same stuff each expansion without any real revamp or improvement. If a concurrent want a chance today, he need to strike where it hurts and create the features that are clearly outdated in WoW.
    * While I think it's normal in a large way to "copy" wow, a simple copy is not enough to stand a chance. Each time a solid challenger to wow is released, we don't talk about it anymore 2 months after. It will be the same here.
    Your first post on a WoW-related website is to prop up WoW in an offtopic forum?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot237 View Post
    So lately I got into Rift beta, and of course everyone talks about WoW, and on this forum especially the "We're not in Azeroth anymore" thread, people seem to hate on Rift. Well i was wondering, what do all of you think Rift is like? Personally, i think it's a better, and similar version of WoW yet different in MANY areas, such as the souls and the immense Rift invasions where you have like 30 people in a particular raid group to kill some very tough bosses (health wise). Also for just a beta version, the number of glitches is incredibly low and smooth gameplay.

I feel it takes the problems of WoW, and improves them (such as numerous talent possibilities, i'm an altoholic in WoW and get tired of the same crap over and over, this is endless possibilities in Rift. Also, the graphics are much nicer (which is obvious, since WoW is 6 years old). Overall i just think it's a better game, without having any experience with end game so far so i can't give an opinion on that. So what do all of you think about both games, what do you hate about rift, or what do you hate about WoW?
    Whats wrong with a "it looks promising"?

I can not understand people that state one is better than the other while they knew one for 6 years and the other is simply "new" and psychologically that already qualifies a game as "better". "Different" also often qualifies as "better".

If one prefers Rift over WoW one will go switch the game. Experience dictates that many will return because they will find that there arent all that many differences, the server population isnt high enough, it gets repetitive just like WoW or the simple "I was better at wow".

Just give posts like yours a thought first and do not judge before you arent 2 months into Release-Version of Rift. Im sure you will find things better and worse than wow and then you can start talking as if WoW was the biggest crap you put up for 5 years.
    FYI wow did have outdoor raidbosses that did matter but if you got 3k people and only 40-60 are getting the kills and getting the resistance gear from them that sucks. And once endgame content is available finding 30 people in the common chat will lose its taste just like it did in wow.

Time must be red because when people look at the past they always wear pink shades.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wrathdragon View Post
    Tonight, on the Beta, there was an invasion of EPIC proportions. Rifts opening everywhere, literally several hundred elite enemies spawning all over the map, running rampant, enormous giants that HAD to be killed for the items needed to stop the invastion, and there was much death and carnage as this huge army just obliterated nearly the whole map a few times.

Then, as I was running trying to avoid stuff and just LIVE, I saw it. A huge group of players, everyone had banded together, and they moved like locusts, swarming every enemy in sight, like a flood. It was almost a living thing, it looked like, moving like a school of hungry fish as we moved from objective to objective, devouring every mob and rift in sight, til we finally made our way to the source and ended it.

It was amazing. Everyone, together, in a epic battle to keep our area clear of these rampaging enemies. I've never seen anything like it.
    yeah.. you had that on wow you know. also any "events" on beta are likely to have vanished in the release or shortly after. a) new players cant contribute b) they are costly as they have to be scripted and monitored c) you get sick of a constant invasion -> elemental invasion of wow, zombie invasion, tbc invasion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathdragon View Post

This sound like fun. Especially two months after the release, when you are all alone in the zone, just started playing Rift or leveling an alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mygleen View Post

By example:

Where not talking about warhammer, so whatever state that is today doesnt really apply ... dig

Well we dont actually know what endgame will be like, so whatever your point is here , it doesnt really matter.

So if there is more than move out of the fire, rift will be a winner ...

WoW is old ... its also a great game, but for me (and probably many others) its the same old stuff over and over. I dont mind Rifts similarities to wow, makes me feel at home. same fun different settings.

..... 10 char (reply in bold)

enjoying the beta thus far. There was a major invasion of death rifts last night, rifts popping up all over the place overunning large areas of the zone pretty fast. With people fighting all over the zone to stop the invasion, it really made me feel like i was part of something a lot bigger and in all honesty it was great fun. We finally managed to push them back to all but 1 area, a natural choke point on a beach where we fought them for like 30-40 mins, gaining ground then loosing it.

While the premise of the invasions are the same, how they pan out will be radically different every time, making it a whole lot more fun. Fighting on that beach with 50-60 other people was hella fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Impiccato View Post
    tbh i see more RIFT IS GONNA DESTROY WOW posts then hating on rift posts. I'm sick of Rift already and I haven't even played it. Just all the fans of it talking about how amazing it is has me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
    How can you form an opinion without having played the game? Don't make the mistake of forming your opinion based on what others have said. I held a similar opinion once the game was announced, and I rolled my eyes thinking, "it's just another hyped up game that will die in a few months after everyone who left wow goes back." However, once beta started I applied and got in because you cant form an opinion on a game without having played or tested it. That's like saying you don't like someone when you have never met that person.

My advice to anyone who thinks this game will suck and hasn't played it yet: Opt in to the beta and try it out. If you don't like it, fine. If you like it, great. But for the love of all that is good, please don't bash a game you haven't even played.

My experience has been very positive. The game is well made and very enjoyable. Is it wow, nope. Will it ever be wow, nope. It's RIFT. It's a nice change and I plan on playing it if I can. If I didn't have a ton of RL friends playing wow I would jump straight into RIFT. So, try it out and see what you think. What's the worst case scenario? You wasted a few hours of a day? You play wow, you have wasted far more hours playing that game than testing out another game for a few hours.

Cheers,
    Ral

Quote Originally Posted by Yai View Post
    This sound like fun. Especially two months after the release, when you are all alone in the zone, just started playing Rift or leveling an alt.
    The invasion numbers etc are tied to the number of players ina zone, they warned everyone what was coming so masses spawned.

If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

I'm in beta, got awfully boring very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by itsthemoops View Post
    You can also form 40man raids of random people to kill world bosses in wow as well. Only difference is in rift its for the super exciting event of closing rifts. Yeah, have fun with that.
    Where are these world bosses? I hope you're not refering to the ones that can be solo'd at 80 or 85 in outland.

---------- Post added 2011-02-06 at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shiera View Post
    I'm in beta, got awfully boring very fast.
    Like i've stated earlier, did you ever play WOW beta? I'd rather sit in a white room for 40 days with nothing to do than play vanilla beta.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Played Rift beta up to level 10, and I can honestly say that it's a complete clone of WoW, with updated graphics. =/
    yeah cos level 10 is level cap u.U

Geez, human can be really dumb. It's YOU who makes this game SO overhyped, it was the same with Aion, it was so overhyped that people were just disappointed on release. You do the same. Rift wil soon fall, not because it's bad or similar to WoW, but because you overhype it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Geez, human can be really dumb. It's YOU who makes this game SO overhyped, it was the same with Aion, it was so overhyped that people were just disappointed on release. You do the same. Rift wil soon fall, not because it's bad or similar to WoW, but because you overhype it so much.
    i think that's part of why i'm so bored with cataclysm, it got way to overhyped.

the only good thing is the talent system.which is kinda similar to old wow talent system, except that you choose the three trees.

The game is VERY GLITCHY has A LOT OF BUGS so your bias is terrible.

The animation quality sucks. Frame problemsmmismatched art style and ver bland generic factions.

Goodguy guardians, and then steampunk techie good guys...except none of the heroes incorporate that technology into their class. The classes are identical on both sides, and the clerics, well i bet they pray to the same gods. So why are there two factions? Even Aion did that better.

The game is bland and has no flavor. Playing the beta I find myself not interested to see what is over the enxt horizon but rather to see if the came can actually scrape together some kind of plot that will get me emotionally invested.

Your hero starts out dead and gets risen, and rerisen, and rerisen. I know wow does the same thing, but at least it more subtle. I dont feel any cling to my characters life because I started out dead and if they can rez me once they can rez me again. In wow i feel at least some small amount of fear of dying.

Aside from some minor issues Im sure they will fix, Rift isn't a bad game, its just not good. Its luke warm mediocre Matlock approach to MMO gaming will ensure it survives a little under a year on subscriptions, but expect to see this game go FTP by christmas.