Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    Where are these world bosses? I hope you're not refering to the ones that can be solo'd at 80 or 85 in outland.
    they are random spawns in any of the cata locations, they are the same strength as a dungeon boss and drop loot equal to their difficulty.
    unless you looking for open world raid bosses in which case your not going to find them cause frankly they were a bad idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    I for one was in the Rift Beta for a week.. and I hated it. Sure at first, I thought it was kind of cool. But then I realised : Hey.. What did they bring to the table with this game? Heres what they added :

- Rifts
    - More Talent Trees and class possibilitys

I mean, Rift does not even have a specific lore.. Which sucks since I like story oriented games.

Now before you guys rage, I have not played WoW for 1 month.. So I am not a WoW Lover, im just pointing out my point of view.
    I don't understand all the Rift hate. It'd be good for the genre to see another MMORPG do well instead of bellyflopping into failure like we've seen others in the past. That being said, I to enjoy story oriented gaming (I've been a Warcraft lore nerd since WCII :x) and, if the backstories and lore of the game's world and inhabitants aren't well conceived or fleshed out, then no amount of super pretty graphics or class customization is going to keep me from getting bored with a bland universe lacking history and identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Am I the only person who feels like both games have something to offer?

Yes, RIFT is very similar to WoW. IT SHOULD BE. Blizzard has created the most successful MMO in history, not because it has a dedicated fanbase that has been there since Warcraft 1 (although I count myself among those numbers), but because they (mostly) listen to what we want and try to make it work.

The things that Trion has implemented in RIFT that are similar to WoW are the things that make WoW successful. Core things like a smoothness of combat that I've never experienced in ANY MMO aside from WoW. The ability to customize your UI as a baseline function? Yes please.

Honestly, I feel that RIFT is just the first of many new MMOs that will show us that WoW has laid a rock-solid foundation for online gaming. You can't say RIFT ripped off WoW because it has many similar features. Those features are the features that WORK. It'd be like saying Burger King ripped off McDonald's because they both decided selling hamburgers would be profitable.

I for one am looking forward to RIFT and will continue to play both when I get the itch for it.
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

15+ Year Old Account
    seriously... lol. Took me a while to hit 60 in the Vanilla days, but it was worth it. Just rolled an alt in Cata and it was so ridiculously fast and linero to go 1-60 that I didn't get to soak in much of the changed old world. Now I've got him parked in Outland where the leveling seems to have slowed a tic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy both games. I've played WoW since early BC. In the couple of days I've played Rift, its got me seriously considering spending 60$ on a
    pre-order. They are both great games in my opinion. However, for me, WoW has become a habit instead of a pass time and hobby. Rift, while very similar to WoW and other MMOs on a multitude of aspects, comes across as something new and refreshing, but has a certain familiarity to it that makes it easy to latch onto and enjoy.

My only concern is the direction the game will take once the overall concept of "omg its another 5 rifts, join community raids and stop em!" gets old and is played out.

I have finally figured out just why WoW is so successful. Bear with me here for a moment, while I explain the simple concept.

Lets look at games like Dark Age of Camelot. It was a wildly popular and successful MMO in its day (the servers are still running) but its not very popular now, even after like 6 or 7 xpacks. Aion, Conan, City of heroes/villians. All of them lack one key and important element that WoW has. A very large and familiar back story. So much back story, that Blizzard could develop 10 more xpacks if they really wanted to. The thing about it is, the majority of the player base has some knowledge of WoW lore. Most of us knew who Deathwing was before Cata was even announced. Whether it be fan sites, novels, certain works of fan fiction, etc, we all generally find the lore to be familiar.

Rift on the other hand, hasn't has pre-cursors like WoW had WC 1-3, various novels, and even a D&D/D20 adaptation. This lack of familiarity to the story, the characters, etc, I believe is what makes it harder for the player base to really bite into new MMO's. Let a StarCraft MMO come out. I'm willing to wager the 12 mil subs that WoW has would pail in comparison to what it would pull. Why? Because nearly every PC gamer out there knows what it is, and most likely enjoys it to some extent.

So I say good luck Rift, you'll most likely have my sub for a bit, but the long haul is to remain unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Vermiliel Mauritius Dawnguardian View Post
    Am I the only person who feels like both games have something to offer?
    Nope, I wouldn't say your the only one.
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2011-02-06 at 04:17 PM.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

:Why don't all you people quit flaming over this and just play the respective games that you enjoy playing? Arguing over which game is better and getting angry at each other because your opinions are different is just childish and annoying. You guys should really end this flame war before the thread gets locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    the only good thing is the talent system.which is kinda similar to old wow talent system, except that you choose the three trees.

The game is VERY GLITCHY has A LOT OF BUGS so your bias is terrible.

The animation quality sucks. Frame problemsmmismatched art style and ver bland generic factions.

Goodguy guardians, and then steampunk techie good guys...except none of the heroes incorporate that technology into their class. The classes are identical on both sides, and the clerics, well i bet they pray to the same gods. So why are there two factions? Even Aion did that better.

The game is bland and has no flavor. Playing the beta I find myself not interested to see what is over the enxt horizon but rather to see if the came can actually scrape together some kind of plot that will get me emotionally invested.

Your hero starts out dead and gets risen, and rerisen, and rerisen. I know wow does the same thing, but at least it more subtle. I dont feel any cling to my characters life because I started out dead and if they can rez me once they can rez me again. In wow i feel at least some small amount of fear of dying.

Aside from some minor issues Im sure they will fix, Rift isn't a bad game, its just not good. Its luke warm mediocre Matlock approach to MMO gaming will ensure it survives a little under a year on subscriptions, but expect to see this game go FTP by christmas.
    This guy, should just not talk, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    I don't understand all the Rift hate. It'd be good for the genre to see another MMORPG do well instead of bellyflopping into failure like we've seen others in the past. That being said, I to enjoy story oriented gaming (I've been a Warcraft lore nerd since WCII :x) and, if the backstories and lore of the game's world and inhabitants aren't well conceived or fleshed out, then no amount of super pretty graphics or class customization is going to keep me from getting bored with a bland universe lacking history and identity.
    I would love nothing more than to see a game which can threaten Blizzivisions bank account and main revenue stream. I would LOVE for there to be a competitor to wow that people can choose to leave wow for. I would love for there to be a game which keep Blizz developers on their toes and legitimately concerned about maintaining there subscription base.

But Rift is not that game.

If wow was America(U.S.) then Rift might be say..I dunno..Cuba.

Where is the U.S.S.R. of MMOs? Where is the giant from the other side of the pond to threaten WoW and make it's life more interesting. If anything can kill WoW it is it's lack of worthy competitors. As it slowly declines and stagnates you will see a hundred games liek Rift and Aion pop up to take tiny bites out of it. But in the end it will kill itself because it is just that good.

Warhammer had that capacity, prelaunch. The hype was ecstatic the fanbase for the franchise was preestablished. Hell it is the very game wow ripped off of to get it's start. But the execution was poor and then the publisher just kinda neglected it for one reason or another.

Conan again had 18+ rating, ultra gore and some new interesting mechanics and a huge franchise behind it. But it was missing the approachability of wow.

LoTR, Th franchise that started EVERYTHING from DnD to Otherkin to just about every western Fantasy series, yet again they dropped the ball.

Where is the wow killer? That's the root of the problem. You can't see the wow killer. You can't predict the wow killer. Every game out there and in the works is beign scrutinized and examiend and compared. No game coming out this decade is a wow killer. Even Guild Wars 2. They a;; are vying for a market share and a small piece of the pie. A market that is created and grown organically by introducing new people and new demographics into games. WoW is the juggernaut that feeds the industry of online PC gaming.

The biggest threat to wow? I suppose if Blizzard one day just decides theyre tired of balancing, tired of patching, tired of fixing and just wipe it. Maybe if blizzard drops the ball in a big way. Maybe if Blizzard releases SC universe or w/e is coming down the pipe.

WoW is unkillable.

But nto as unkillable as Everquest. You want to talk about a primordial Old God who refuses to die? Everquest which outlived it's progeny(EQ2) Everquest which spawned a thousand console games and outsold them all. Everquest which is essentially the man behind the curtain, is the Oldfather of all these game systems.

And yet behind them is Ultima Online and a host of other smallname games which continue to thrive off of Diehard fans who love the game more than we could ever understand.

Perhaps one day we will meet an alien civilization, and to our surprise they will have invented computers and binary language just as we have. Perhaps they will have an internet, and on this internet perhaps they will have learned to play games on it. And on this alien planet they will have there own version of warcraft. A behemoth who fanboys slobber over and rush to defend zealously at every threat, and whom their alien enemies constantly are out there looking for the next big MMo that will kill their version of wow.

Then we will have a legitimate threat to WoW. Then it will be a war of the world of warcrafts.

Until then enjoy pretending your shitty wow clones with half the budget,story,content, and developers get crushed beneatht he behemoth because the small fanbase it culmulates keeps trying to pit against the horrible monster that is wow.

I don't see the point of Rift even trying to compete with WoW. First of all, Rift is still in beta and WoW has been online for 6 six years of constant QQ, three huge expansions, dozens of big content patches, resulting in some massive changes including Shattering and overhauls of game mechanics. And as far as I know, the only people willing to go back and play Vanilla instead are those who didn't play Vanilla.
    Second, if Blizzard alone wasn't an enormous company with multiple successes with games before and after WoW, it is still backed with it's Activision counterpart, so there are obviously huge money involved. On the other hand, Trion Worlds (Rift creators?) has basically no previous game development history (afaik) and is not (yet) backed with a huge distribution company, so if Rift is going to last for at least a while, it will take a lot more time to get it to the "polished" state (which, according to some people, has not been achieved even by wow yet) than it was (would be) with WoW.
    No matter what people say, the only real competition (if you could call it that way) on the MMO field would be between WoW and The Old Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominatuss View Post
    This guy, should just not talk, ever.
    Why, because he doesn't share the same opinion as you? Grow up.

The players on rift are so easy to troll. Just write wow>rift and prepare for 15 min flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Renshe
    Ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack! ack achahaakack ack

tl:dr; ack ack

Deleted
    I am on the beta, level 10 so far. questing is realy good you have so fun quests and you kind of get them done before you get bored, you have alot more skills and alot of playstayls to go for public quests ftw,

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    I am on the beta, level 10 so far. questing is realy good you have so fun quests and you kind of get them done before you get bored, you have alot more skills and alot of playstayls to go for public quests ftw,
    Could you give an example of a fun quest and what level you were? I did lots of Defiant quests and didn't come across any that could be considered fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's something I haven't seen said....

While were all playing Rift and the like, so what if it fails. WoW will be that much better to come "home" to if Rift becomes a flop, right?
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by andis35 View Post
    The players on rift are so easy to troll. Just write wow>rift and prepare for 15 min flaming
    The players on WoW are so easy to troll. Just write RIFT > WoW and prepare for 15 min flaming.
    Idiots play both games.

I quit wow about a month ago. The game is taking a direction I greatly dislike.

I got into the rift beta for this weekend. A friend and I leveled toons to level 21 in a day of play time.

We both loved playing the game. If you are tired of wow but still looking for an MMO Rift should be great for you. My friend and I have great computers so we run the game on max at 60fps. It is very very pretty especially the capitol cities.

Rift developers took many many annoyances faced in wow and fixed them for their game. It is very obvious to me that the developers played WoW and found the faults in them and made sure to fix those in their game.

My friend and I would constantly joke about how the developers were at a roundtable and the lead asks, "so What do you hate about WoW?" I mean anything we found annoying in WoW seems to be taken care of.

So for concluding thoughts,

I find it more enjoyable than WoW. It to me is certainly a better game. Now its not leaps and bounds better, but it is better IMO.
    I will never be returning to WoW. The Rift Beta killed any desire to ever play WoW again.
    You cannot fathom the immensity of the f*** I do not give.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Norome View Post
    I don't see the point of Rift even trying to compete with WoW. First of all, Rift is still in beta and WoW has been online for 6 six years of constant QQ, three huge expansions, dozens of big content patches, resulting in some massive changes including Shattering and overhauls of game mechanics. And as far as I know, the only people willing to go back and play Vanilla instead are those who didn't play Vanilla.
    Second, if Blizzard alone wasn't an enormous company with multiple successes with games before and after WoW, it is still backed with it's Activision counterpart, so there are obviously huge money involved. On the other hand, Trion Worlds (Rift creators?) has basically no previous game development history (afaik) and is not (yet) backed with a huge distribution company, so if Rift is going to last for at least a while, it will take a lot more time to get it to the "polished" state (which, according to some people, has not been achieved even by wow yet) than it was (would be) with WoW.
    No matter what people say, the only real competition (if you could call it that way) on the MMO field would be between WoW and The Old Republic.
    what does wow got in this expansion? asuming you had all classes at level 80 what did you see new? for me it was 2.5 days to get to max level and by the 3rd day i had done all HCs and on 4 day was gear up to raid.
    After 1 week of boring my self out of grinding rep had everything exaulted (OFC hellscrew rep wast)
    bg queues are 10min long -.- i am bored and i only log in now to raid since it is hard is actualy fun to do.

On the other end rift quest are all new its a new world, you have a really good talent system that kind of makes you dont have many alts that you almost dont play since with one chard you have 7 trees to make a biuld.

Rift Devs listen to players.

Rift questing>wow
    Rift talent trees>wow
    Rift pvp ??
    Rift Raids ??

rift were you like it or not it has the pontentialy to beat wow, but it will only do so if its pvp and pve(raids) are better.

Quote Originally Posted by slevnkalevra View Post
    Rift developers took many many annoyances faced in wow and fixed them for their game. It is very obvious to me that the developers played WoW and found the faults in them and made sure to fix those in their game.

My friend and I would constantly joke about how the developers were at a roundtable and the lead asks, "so What do you hate about WoW?" I mean anything we found annoying in WoW seems to be taken care of.
    Could you give specific examples of things you disliked or found annoying in WoW that aren't in Rift?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycuddler View Post
    I so far cannot make it past level 6 in rift without becoming so bored I have to stop playing. Really don't see what all the fuss is about. If the game can't even be fun for the first six levels I refuse to believe it's a well designed game. "play it until max level then it gets good" is not a valid excuse either. An RPG is about the leveling process, THEN the end game. You can't have one or the other. You have to have both.
    How can you enjoy playing WoW when you can't stand 6 levels in RIFT? WoW is incredibly boring compared to RIFT.. wtf dude, is all I can say to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    Rift questing>wow
    Your points about WoW were ok, but I have to disagree with your opinion on Rift, especially this part.

It's more like:

Rift questing = Vanilla WoW < Cataclysm WoW