25m OS 3drake 3man advice?

Hey guys, I'm just posting this to see if there's any advice people can give for myself and a few friends. We've picked up the game again after a hiatus, and decided to just have fun clearing old content with as few numbers as possible. Not going for anything too extreme right now, but the first item on our list is 25man Sartharion 3 drake (not zerg of course) with only the three of us.

Make up is:

Myself - DK. Blood tank/Unholy DPS specced currently. Tank gear not the best yet.

Paladin 1 - Ret paladin/Prot Paladin. 18k+ on heroic bosses.

Paladin 2 - Holy Pally. One of the better healers I've ever seen.

We tried a 10man 3 drake for giggles last night, but the ret pally couldnt make it, so we brought in another friend on his mage just for DPS. Unfortunately, the DPS output wasn't fantastic for our goals.

The strategy we're doing right now is... the normal 3 drake strategy. DPS Sarth until the first drake comes down, I pick up the drake as well as the boss, try to kill the drake as fast as possible. We can't kill the drake asap, unfortunately.

Here's where we're just pondering the proper strategy. I'm guessing I'll have to pick up the whelplings when they spawn, use aoe to take them out. When the immunity pops up, the ret pally and healer jump into the portal quickly, burn the dragonkin inside asap. They then pop out, and pick up DPS on the drakes.

We're hoping my cooldowns, and self healing will be high enough to keep me alive during the phase where the two of them are inside the portal. But, when it gets to the point of all 3 drakes being on the field, and Sarth still wailing on me, it's going to be a bit much.

Do you guys think the ret pally will be able to take on the dragonkin in the portal by himself? Is there a specific order we should kill the buggers in?

I'd link my armory, but it really isn't worth it. My gear is still pretty bad. With mostly quest greens and 333s. Average blood shield absorbs about 5.7k

Thanks in advance! =D

you wont kill it in time. back in the day it worked out about 2 tanks 1 - 2 healers and the dps at 4.2k minimum I think it was. so unless between the 3 of you, you can do 4.2dps x however many was needed for 25man. your not do it. staying alive i would not have thought been a problem tho. i did zerg os+3 10man with me a warlock (19kdps) and a rogue (16kdps) and it went down in about 38seconds. so i dono could be possible but your really be pushing it man 4 people i would say its def possible but with 3 i dono.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I haven't tried 3-manning 25-man 3 Drake, a couple friends and I did 3-man the 10-man version. Prot Paladin, Resto Druid, Surv Hunter - if I recall correctly we didn't end up going in any portals until we had already downed 2 or 3 of the drakes. This was some time ago, and I may be remembering it incorrectly, but the shield the drakes throw up only affects Sarth, so you can still burn down any remaining drakes. Of course, your DPSer will be taking damage from Twilight Torment or whatever it's called that Shadron's disciple (I think it's Shadron) puts up, but this shouldn't be hard to heal through. Once all the drakes were down, the hunter and I went into the Portal while the tank kept himself alive for a while. After hanging out in the twilight zone for a while and healing the DPS, I hopped back out early to pick up tank healing. When the Hunter finished killing the disciples, he popped out and we finished Sarth. Easy mode.

I imagine 25-man would be quite a bit harder for obvious reasons, but I wasn't even close to running out of mana healing, so the extra damage and extra health pools in the 25-man version should just make the fight last a lot longer, but it should still be doable. If necessary, you could send your DPS in the portal once Tenebron goes down and kill Shadron's disciple quickly, then have him pop out again and continue burning down Shadron. It'll probably take your DPS long enough to burn down each individual drake that disciples will respawn though (they do that, right? Been so long since I've done this fight the right way).

TLDR; it should be possible to stay out of the portals as long as possible and burn all the drakes down before taking a portal, although you'll have to toss an occasional heal to your DPS once Shadron's disciple is up. However, if the Ret Paladin can manage to take down the adds in the portal without healer assistance, then there's no reason he/she couldn't go take care of that when necessary and leave the healer outside to watch the tank.

Edit: Oh yeah, enrage timer. Does he have an enrage timer? If so you might want to try 5-manning it instead, and with 4 or 5 it should be easy mode.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2011-02-14 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    you wont kill it in time. back in the day it worked out about 2 tanks 1 - 2 healers and the dps at 4.2k minimum I think it was. so unless between the 3 of you, you can do 4.2dps x however many was needed for 25man. your not do it. staying alive i would not have thought been a problem tho. i did zerg os+3 10man with me a warlock (19kdps) and a rogue (16kdps) and it went down in about 38seconds. so i dono could be possible but your really be pushing it man 4 people i would say its def possible but with 3 i dono.
    Hi. Reread his post. 'Back in the day' the way it worked was that you did it RIGHT, and didn't just zerg it down when you overgeared the content. His post clearly states:

"The strategy we're doing right now is... the normal 3 drake strategy."

Zerg means NOT the normal strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Thanks for the input Freehoof! That helps quite a bit! We thought we would have to stop and go into the portals every time they appeared.

Checking the strat "Sartharion has a 15-minute enrage timer, at which time he will spam Pyrobuffets regardless of location. "

So, it's still plausible, but for 25man, we might need our mage friend to come along to help out with a Time Warp and assistance on the disciples.

There's no chance we could zerg it with 3 people, unfortunately, but I think with a bit of work we can pull this off using the normal strategy.

Deleted
    We did 10man 3D with 3 people some days ago. We roughly did it by just dpsing him, so you won't be able to zerg-win in 25m. You will need a very good healer to do the normal strategy and your DPS has to very awesome.
    I don't think 3 man are enough for 3D 25m. You will need much more damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this talk is making me want to go back in there and try it on 25-man difficulty. I'll see if I can get the gang back together this week sometime and go do it. Let me know how your attempts go! Good luck. I love doing shit like this.

Yeah, haha. It's what inspired me to reactivate my account. Back in ulduar, the same group of friends and I did OS25 0drakes with 10 people while spinning Sarth in circles just for fun. That's what started our hunt for interesting ways of clearing old content, or newer content in interesting ways.

Good luck with your attempts! You'll have to let me know how they go too!

with three people for 10 man, maybe. for 25 man, hell no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

just get a group full of 85s lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm not going to lie; it was stupid easy in 10-man. It would be a challenge in 25-man, but I think it sounds like a fun time. If it's not working out, bringing in a fourth or fifth would make it pretty straightforward. I still think it'd be doable with three though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I 2manned with Blood spec and my current gear 10m3d , Me + Holy pala , was easy enough.
    Hardest part was surviving while healer has to go n kill add in shadrons portals rest of fight was piss easy

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be hard at all. You literally have 5x the hp you did back then, and even with the 25% hp reduction, 1 cd is all you would need to survive each breath from sartharion, if it's even needed. Drakes would die pretty quickly, as well.

Don't know how old this thread is, sorry if I dug it up lol.

I just did 25man with 3 people and its very easy if you do kill the drakes and go in the portal that makes Sarth be immune and kill that Disciple (Shadron I think it was). We just went into all the portals and killed everything. We had to kill drakes as our dps was too low to 3man zerg it.

Prot Pally, Feral Combat Druid and Shadow Priest
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Guldur View Post
    Don't know how old this thread is, sorry if I dug it up lol.

I just did 25man with 3 people and its very easy if you do kill the drakes and go in the portal that makes Sarth be immune and kill that Disciple (Shadron I think it was). We just went into all the portals and killed everything. We had to kill drakes as our dps was too low to 3man zerg it.

Prot Pally, Feral Combat Druid and Shadow Priest
    2 year old thread necro. Yes, I'm sure the difference between a 3 level 90s and 3 level 85s is huge. No doubt it was easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing the thread.

As being at level 90 it is much easier to accomplish things which were hard or close to impossible expansion or more ago.