Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Rift Beta reviews

I know that the Rift Beta only opened a few hours ago. I'd like players to post here throughout the week to discuss the rift beta event and what are their impressions of it. Since it will only last a week, this friday at 10 am. It will only last for four days.

My impressions: Upon entering the game as a Guardian, I was greeted with three separate races. Dwarf's, Humans and High Elfs. However the custom features made up for this. I was able to change the look and appearance of my PC. From the nose, to the eyes etc all the way down to the smallest detail.

My class: I picked a Mage, Necromancer. So far into the beta a few hours and it has run smoothly surprisingly there are not any bugs as you'd think they're would be. The quest are pretty fun and short. I leveled up to 5 already. However the soul classes tree is interesting similar to wow in talent trees.

My most exciting moment yet? I have been awaiting The Rifts. Hence the title in the game. Then as I go on to complete a mission. I see it standing there in the sky. A large rift coming out with dozens of level 6 mobs standing near it. I have heard of these things. You get loot for closing it, but you need help in order to do it. If you fail to close the rift it could spread across the entire land.

I grouped with about a group of level 4's and 5, and about 5 people in all. Even we didn't have enough man power to take down these rift's. A dozen level 6s would run at us at once and kill us on contact. I provided a screen shot below of what the rift looks like.

edited good paper to read why wow players should give rift a shot : http://horrifticintentions.wordpress...e-rift-a-shot/

Last edited by The Jackal; 2011-01-25 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that good or bad? I've seen some gameplays & Im not that excited realy.. tho im realy looking for something new...

I'll see what people say about the beta & maybe try it out But I think Cata pwnd rift bigtime with questing, not because a lot of known lore happens ( W3 etc...) the quests were made way more fun etc so

Thats pretty badass looking. Nice screenshot.

Looks like a copy pasted wow with different graphics :s

The full screen shot is here: http://i52.tinypic.com/29qbpj7.jpg

Only half of the pic it would actually fit in this chat box. I'm running Rift on Ultra Settings though. As far as If the Rift opening is good or bad? I'd say it's good. Just a few hours into the Beta and a Death Rift opens up calling upon the Guardians to group up and take it down. I can see why this is a server wide event. A group of five can't handle the ass kicking that the mobs can lay out.

An entire raid or community would be needed to put down these rifts. It's not that they are hard in combat. They are low leveled, about 6 it's just there's so many of them. You attack one of them and they all come running at you. I will provide more screen shots of things that I see. I just thought quite frankly that was bad ass, how it looked.

The other impressive thing is the chat modle. Look at the color of your text. Unlike in DC online you can chat smoothly and another small thing. When you complete a quest. It says "Quest Complete" in golden letters for a few moments and makes a cool sound. It's too early to say if this game is worthy but up for debate.

I cant even connect to the servers, they're sooo overloaded and unstable right now!

I've played the previous betas, people are overhyping this game way too much.

The races/factions/lore are dull, the ui/graphics is a copycat of the warhammer engine, and the endgame is going to be another mindless grind.

Pros: talent trees, combat abilities, complex class mechanics.

Cons: it isn't very original, end-game is just pve grind mindlessly, and there is potential for severe balance issues with so many capable sub-specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    I cant even connect to the servers, they're sooo overloaded and unstable right now!
    Don't think they planned on this much hype for this beta phase. Word of mouth on rift has exploded over the last week.

Wait until the later levels where you have zone wide events going on, or you have a raid equal boss coming out of a rift, if you dont outlevel those bosses they will stomp on you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    Don't think they planned on this much hype for this beta phase. Word of mouth on rift has exploded over the last week.
    They definitely expected this hype. That's why they have given out around 20k beta keys for free.

I'm still stuck at the loading screen. Hopefully they let a couple more thousand people trickle in soon.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

We can destroy WoW.

Finally we can be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboRanger View Post
    Looks like a copy pasted wow with different graphics :s
    And WoW is a clone of other MMO's... seriously fankid, shove that whine up your.. exactly.

On topic:

I've been in 3 betas so far, and while the game is amusing, there is something I miss, let me explain.

Every game I like has a feeling where I want to continue playing. WoW had it for me, DCUO has it, LOTRO has it. It's a feeling of " It feels good to play this game " or " The game just works well for what I want ".
    Rift lacks the hook to draw players in, besides rifts and the soul system there is no real thing that feels good or anywhere near decent.

PVP while awesome, feels like something is missing. (the same as people felt with the WAR PVP)
    Tanking is.. not cohesive, the rotations make no sense
    Healing, the heals behave oddly at times.

For me, the game gets a solid 7/10, but with a note that it has no real hook atm to get new people.

Looks a lot of LotRO to me. Bleh.

I can just see the stories now....

You have logged into the server.

You to Guild: Thank god you guys are on. I was playing really late last night and there werent many people in ZoneXYZ where I was questing and a Rift went uncontested all night and took over the entire zone for over 5 hours and spread into ZoneXYC...fml!

Im not much of a writer so Ill just jot down a few things.

Im currently lvl 5 and picked a Warrior Beastmaster.

The character creation isn't THAT impressive. Personally I dont mind the limitations WoW provides. Again, the Rift Character creation isn't all that impressive, its normal.

The Soul Tree's are unique in it's own way but I dont see the hoopla over the many different ways to tree up. At some point you'll say to yourself " This is too much and more work than its worth."

Anyways. Back to the game.

Hey! I just have to say one thing, if that's the very starting area that's not an actual Rift. Guardian Side right? There's a quest that you do to break through all of those guys, you don't actually kill them... they aren't a part of the rift :P! Mobs in rifts don't spawn like that, they are tuned to the amount of people in the zone too so you'll always have enough people to clear them if people are willing to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Every game I like has a feeling where I want to continue playing. WoW had it for me, DCUO has it, LOTRO has it. It's a feeling of " It feels good to play this game " or " The game just works well for what I want ".
    Rift lacks the hook to draw players in, besides rifts and the soul system there is no real thing that feels good or anywhere near decent.
    Disagree with this after the last beta i couldnt wait until the next event. But this is just opinion based so it depends on the person

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    you to Guild: Thank god you guys are on. I was playing really late last night and there werent many people in ZoneXYZ where I was questing and a Rift went uncontested all night and took over the entire zone for over 5 hours and spread into ZoneXYC...fml!
    Except the rift difficult is determined by amount of people in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
    Hey! I just have to say one thing, if that's the very starting area that's not an actual Rift. Guardian Side right? There's a quest that you do to break through all of those guys, you don't actually kill them... they aren't a part of the rift :P! Mobs in rifts don't spawn like that, they are tuned to the amount of people in the zone too so you'll always have enough people to clear them if people are willing to do them.
    Ya hes just doing the last quest and didnt read that he talks to the angel has it blow them all up for em

So far I am lvl 5 Kelari Rogue and I am enjoying it a loooooooot, don't know if it's the new, fresh feeling of a new MMO or what, but its aaaaawesome. General chat filled with "Omg this has num lock autorun just like WoW!11".

"This game is like WoW but without Ghostcrawler"
    Hi

Full picture url: http://i53.tinypic.com/258pm5l.jpg

Update: It does feel a tad grindy similar to Warcraft in the style they have you level up. Though not nearly as bad and slow as warcraft imo. Just like any other MMO you have to kill a few creatures. I'm told by level 15 you can enter a dungeon. I have yet to do any PVP or anything similar to that. However the game did just open up a few hours ago.

It feels just a tad slow running without a mount. I assume they will provide us one later when we level up. It's too soon to say exactly is this is a great game or not. My first beta phase and I am only level 7. I have already been provided with a cutsecne as soon as I finished level 6.

So it's not bad but I'll see how it goess s s
    Last edited by The Jackal; 2011-01-25 at 08:16 PM.

If the rift last too long, The mobs get a debuff which stop them form getting any healing and reduce their damage, so after a while you can easily solo a rift. Same things for evasion units

Mount are lvl20 and with only the gold form leveling/selling trash, you can buy it at the major city. There is no flypoint every 10 feet unlike WoW so you have to travel a lot.
    Last edited by Foxwar; 2011-01-25 at 08:18 PM.