Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goetz401 View Post
    rift aint that great. i've been on beta for a bit. anything good about it was stolen from wow or war. haven't seen any fresh idea yet that has wowed me.
    Why shouldn't they take good aspects from the most played Mmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I can say the same exact thing about WoW when it comes to EQ. Do you really want to go there?
    You are awesome sir. I hardly ever need to reply when you're on the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    That, and WoW stole from Everquest (which I never played) anyways. Theres only so much variation in MMO gameplay before it's down the storyline and the world you're in.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

About the Curse thing, they went to the last Gamer's Day at Trion HQ. I would say that's a VERY good sign about their intentions for Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    This is Boubouille's decision, not Curse's. He has said that if the game proves to be successful he will consider making a sub-section for it, but until then it stays in the general Video Games section

We will. We managed with Rift, I'm sure now that we've seen the onslaught it will be much easier the next time around.

Curse is missing out on a golden opportunity here to become the main fan site. You guys had
    no issue making Aionsource before it came out.

I assume they do not want to drop the money into a site until Rift actually proves it is
    not a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinitar View Post
    Because the Rift official forums are just not good enough for you, aye? MMO champion has always been a WoW forum. Live with that or go to the Rift official forum. Either way, you win, so shut up and do as people recommend you.
    I was looking for a third party forum. You come here to discuss WoW and presumably other topics. Rift isn't too welcome here, so I was wondering where some other third party Rift discussions might be happening. Did my question anger you? "shut up and..." Really?

Quote Originally Posted by writerbythelake View Post
    I was looking for a third party forum. You come here to discuss WoW and presumably other topics. Rift isn't too welcome here, so I was wondering where some other third party Rift discussions might be happening. Did my question anger you? "shut up and..." Really?
    Not really. There are a few fansites, but nothing credible like Curse. MMORPG has potential
    if they ban half the GW2/SWToR trash trolling those forums.

Rift fans do not have a real home , so we hang out here talking about Rift watching the WoW guys rage

Demon, your comment really got my ears perked up. "We will. We managed with Rift, I'm sure now that we've seen the onslaught it will be much easier the next time around."

Was it your purpose to squelch, segregate, or minimize discussion of Rift? Are those pageviews (which create revenue) really an onslaught? Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment... but now I really want to know, is this a WoW site only? Is it affiliated with WoW officially? I always assumed it was separate.

premise: If I owned a site and something happening in the game world was causing lots of new traffic and discussion, I'd be HAPPY about it; not view it as a threat or "onslaught". I'd cater to it. That's just business sense, imho.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 12:55 PM ----------

Not really. There are a few fansites, but nothing credible like Curse. MMORPG has potential
    if they ban half the GW2/SWToR trash trolling those forums.

Rift fans do not have a real home , so we hang out here talking about Rift watching the WoW guys rage
    Ok. Well thanks. This needs to change. I'm going to register some domains today and fund my google account.

15+ Year Old Account
    Curse is missing out on a golden opportunity here to become the main fan site. You guys had
    no issue making Aionsource before it came out.
    I'm not a PR rep, I don't know the inner workings of MMO-Champ, I'm simply a moderator volunteering my time, so don't quote me on anything as saying it's true. With that, I'm pretty sure aionsource and mmo-champ aren't related aside from the fact that Curse owns them both. We are two different entities owned by the same company but operated by different ones.

Edit for writerbythelake:
    No, our purpose wasn't to squelch any sort of Rift discussion. I hardly play WoW anymore (honestly I wish I hadn't renewed for 3 months when I did, as I haven't played in the past month and a half really anyways), so I have no bias. I know that for me, WoW has most likely seen it's glory days and so I have no personal reason to stop discussion about other games just because I think WoW is the best of all time. What we did do, with a bit of struggle, was try and consolidate said Rift discussions into larger threads rather than have 3-4 of the same discussions running rampant (3-4 x 4 = entire front page of just Rift). By doing so we gave other threads a shot at being on the front page and having an involved discussion. Our goal wasn't to silence anyone or not talk about Rift at all here.

The problem we ran into with Rift was we let the threads go for a few days before we really realized how many people wanted to talk about Rift. From the start we should have enforced having 1-2 topics for each Rift discussion rather than the 3-4 I said earlier (not 1-2 total, but one for beta keys etc., one for meet-ups, one for general discussion, one for pvp discussion, etc., etc.).

No, it's not only a WoW site but we do only report on WoW-related news. Think of it more as a community that revolves around WoW but isn't, per-say, dedicated to it. People who don't play WoW anymore are still here, and are welcome, but like myself they may not partake in the WoW discussions. No, we're not affiliated with Blizzard in any way either (unless by some random, long, twisted loop).
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-02-18 at 06:02 PM.
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I'm not a PR rep, I don't know the inner workings of MMO-Champ, I'm simply a moderator volunteering my time, so don't quote me on anything as saying it's true. With that, I'm pretty sure aionsource and mmo-champ aren't related aside from the fact that Curse owns them both. We are two different entities owned by the same company but operated by different ones.
    Well I know one thing for sure. Aionsource was forced by NCSoft through Curse to remove any
    formal reference to Rift from that site, so they had to make a broad general sub forum under
    Video games to talk about games that start with the letter R.

I imagine Blizzard has the same influence on this site.

Can this game come any faster? I can not wait for it to be released. The faster it gets here the faster it can die.

Well I know one thing for sure. Aionsource was forced by NCSoft through Curse to remove any
    formal reference to Rift from that site, so they had to make a broad general sub forum under
    Video games to talk about games that start with the letter R.

I imagine Blizzard has the same influence on this site.
    If that's true, that's pretty interesting. Outside of any private contractual obligations, this sort of activity is a clear first amendment violation.

Demon, your comment really got my ears perked up. "We will. We managed with Rift, I'm sure now that we've seen the onslaught it will be much easier the next time around."

Was it your purpose to squelch, segregate, or minimize discussion of Rift? Are those pageviews (which create revenue) really an onslaught? Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment... but now I really want to know, is this a WoW site only? Is it affiliated with WoW officially? I always assumed it was separate.

premise: If I owned a site and something happening in the game world was causing lots of new traffic and discussion, I'd be HAPPY about it; not view it as a threat or "onslaught". I'd cater to it. That's just business sense, imho.
    This is obviously a WoW oriented site if you haven't noticed, it isn't that hard to come to said conclusion after looking at the front page.

Do you expect there to be new sub forums for every successful video game that comes out? No. Go to the game's official forums and post there.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 06:10 PM ----------

If that's true, that's pretty interesting. Outside of any private contractual obligations, this sort of activity is a clear first amendment violation.
    LOL.

No, it's not. This, and just about any other website you find, are privately owned. They can censor and remove whatever the hell they want.

First Amendment has no place on the internet, since the internet is not America. Sites are owned and operated and are governed under their terms of service. No obligation or right is granted to any user. NCSoft doesn't make Curse do anything. What they can do is ban them from using any copyrighted material and not give them exclusives of news/articles/interviews. They also can stop promoting Aionsource on their official site. That's how you put pressure on a third party that you are in bed with.

RIFT IS AWESOME AND THRALL IS POOP! There, done with the conspiracy theory now girls? It's also kinda hilarious considering that I adressed this problem on MMO-Champion and on Rift official forums. But hey, I like trolls!

So let's explain again!

• Creating a Rift forum would only cause tons of non-WoW related threads to appear on the forum posts lists on the front page. Except that this time, they won't have "Rift" clearly in the title and people will click them, get angry, and yell more.
    • I'm not going to annoy 99% of my WoW-playing userbase for 1% of players who might maybe play Rift at the release. If the game gets popular, sure, I'll add a forum.
    • If I start creating forums for every single MMO beta testing out there, the site will become a pain in the ass to browse within a few weeks.

Now you're going to tell me that I could create Rift forums and take them off the front page, yes, I could. But people would just create Rift threads in WoW forums because they'd get more visibility, forums that aren't on the front page aren't popular at all and are pretty much dead. All these Rift threads will eventually be moved by WoW-forums moderators to the newly created Rift forum because, hey, we have a Rift forum now, and the newly created forum will become an unreadable shithole full of spam because of that.

And seriously, who the hell came up with the idea that using arguments such as "BUT IT'S CALLED MMO-CHAMPION NOT WOW-CHAMPION" will get admins on your side and will convince them that you're super nice and that I should do everything you ask? I mean, I'm not a bot, or anything, just because you say that isn't going to make me change my mind, I just go with what's best for the community.

Also, I'll probably kick your ass for not reading the 90493094039 existing threads and thinking you're important enough to create your OWN thread, that's exactly because of people like you that forums have problems like that sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This is obviously a WoW oriented site if you haven't noticed, it isn't that hard to come to said conclusion after looking at the front page.

Do you expect there to be new sub forums for every successful video game that comes out? No. Go to the game's official forums and post there.

LOL.

No, it's not. This, and just about any other website you find, are privately owned. They can censor and remove whatever the hell they want.
    you seem very angry. If WoW is so great then why not goto WoW's home site? Logic sucks when
    I reverse it on you like that.

It says mmo-champion with a specific sub section for other video games.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 06:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    RIFT IS AWESOME AND THRALL IS POOP! There, done with the conspiracy theory now girls? It's also kinda hilarious considering that I adressed this problem on MMO-Champion and on Rift official forums. But hey, I like trolls!

So let's explain again!

• Creating a Rift forum would only cause tons of non-WoW related threads to appear on the forum posts lists on the front page. Except that this time, they won't have "Rift" clearly in the title and people will click them, get angry, and yell more.
    • I'm not going to annoy 99% of my WoW-playing userbase for 1% of players who might maybe play Rift at the release. If the game gets popular, sure, I'll add a forum.
    • If I start creating forums for every single MMO beta testing out there, the site will become a pain in the ass to browse within a few weeks.

Now you're going to tell me that I could create Rift forums and take them off the front page, yes, I could. But people would just create Rift threads in WoW forums because they'd get more visibility, forums that aren't on the front page aren't popular at all and are pretty much dead. All these Rift threads will eventually be moved by WoW-forums moderators to the newly created Rift forum because, hey, we have a Rift forum now, and the newly created forum will become an unreadable shithole full of spam because of that.

And seriously, who the hell came up with the idea that using arguments such as "BUT IT'S CALLED MMO-CHAMPION NOT WOW-CHAMPION" will get admins on your side and will convince them that you're super nice and that I should do everything you ask? I mean, I'm not a bot, or anything, just because you say that isn't going to make me change my mind, I just go with what's best for the community.

Also, I'll probably kick your ass for not reading the 90493094039 existing threads and thinking you're important enough to create your OWN thread, that's exactly because of people like you that forums have problems like that sweetie.
    See that Rift add running at the top of your page? That means you already have an obligation to
    try and make us happy.

Try Rift.zam.com.
    They're the ones with the best soul(talent) calculator out right now. Small forum, but good news items. I still come to MMO-Champ to be with the cool kids though

you seem very angry. If WoW is so great then why not goto WoW's home site? Logic sucks when
    I reverse it on you like that.

It says mmo-champion with a specific sub section for other video games.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 06:16 PM ----------

See that Rift add running at the top of your page? That means you already have an obligation to
    try and make us happy.
    I post here because this is a WoW fansite, and a good one at that. You didn't bring any sensible "logic" to this thread at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    try and make us happy.
    wut?

If you don't like MMO-Champ or the way we run things, we're not forcing you to stay.

Also, we don't pick the ads. They are picked at random based partly on ad preferences. I have a BMW ad trying to convince me to buy an M3 Sedan right now, and I'm not asking for a sub-forum for that.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

LOL.

I don't like official or sanctioned discussions or sites. They are censored explicitly and implicitly. I like lively, frank conversations.

I appreciate the feedback, but sense tremendous hostility toward Rift here from the community.

I'm going to launch a few sites, and see what happens. Looking at what is happening to WoW on wall street (always trust insiders and investors, they know things before everyone else), and the lengths people have had to go to to prevent the discussion of Rift from dominating the game world (see Demon's comments above; Rift was so popular here they had to restrict it to prevent it from taking over the whole front page), I think this game is for real.

I'm predicting 5 million subs this year. There's a market there, and someone on the 'net should be covering the community. Maybe I'll merge my journalism background and gamer hobby for once and see what happens.

I've already made enough money this month on ATVI put options to pay my subscription fees the rest of my life (almost).

Ps - look at the open interest on out of the money calls.... speculators that bet on cataclysm got rocked. they're all expiring worthless.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=ATVI