Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahlesh View Post
    I think Blizz wanted to make the raids harder so they added tons of abilities that rape melee and left it there. Perhaps ranged are going down in Firelands?

No one knows oO
    That means Morheim and Ghostcrawler might have to play MDPS, a section or raiders that have been bent over the barrel recently with some notiable exceptions (at least a few devs play UH), don't really see that happening.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

Not sure about other tanks and what they are doing., but pretty much all of our tanks have zero issues with gagging a caster. If cast gets through, it's normally because they missed interrupting altogether. Maybe heroic modes have a different requirement than regulars.

I think Paragon proved you can do a 90% range comp and suceed. I know the days we try to do runs and we're melee heavy it's a much rougher time on the healers. I'd be interested to see how a 95% range group went.

You'd want at least one melee, likely a rogue, for the reliable interupt....while yes tanks can interupt, its fairly crucial, on hardmodes in particular, that things that need to be interupted are 100% guaranteed to be interupted unless said interupter fails. But 10 man would particularly favor ranged stacking, there is more than enough room to spread out, which would generally be the biggest concern, IMO, as ranged can bring a variety of different raid buffs to the table. But range stackign is particularly OP on a number of fights, especially on ones like Atramedes (air phase) and Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    Our tanks are.
    Admittedly a number of your guilds tanks didn't log out in their Tank Spec and Gear I'm just going to come right out and say not likely, the few tanks in your guild that did log out in the appropriate spec and gear have at most 6% hit, close to hit cap but still not there.

On topic, I'd have to agree with the others, interrupts would probably be the main problem due to the cooldown or reliance on specific pets to interrupt.

it's easy to hit 5% hit as a tank. no need for gems or nothing. i'm on interrupt duties as feral tank for maloriak. never missed yet.

Deleted
    The officers in my guild discussed the melee vs. ranged alot and decided to only have 2 melee with 1 sub in our roster. Most fights we bring 2 melee (DK and enh shaman). On a fight like Maloriak on green phase, it's up to me alone to interrupt and tbh I have never missed (bear). I'm not gemming/enchanting/reforging for hit, but I still sit at 6% I think.

Some tanks prefer to reforge to pure mitigation, others like to have a decent amount of expertise/hit. As long as I feel my mitigation is "fine" and my healers aren't complaining, I choose to go with a decent expertise rating. Getting the hit might be a bit easier as bear, since we use dps gear for most slots. But I would never be so far below either expertise or hit, that I wasn't able to reliably interrupt a cast - specially not in a 10 man raid tbh.

Some fights are somwhat more melee friendly, such as magmaw. Melee also bring interrupts with short cooldowns.

DPS on the move on certain fights is better for melee as well. I think it's great to bring 2 melee just to have an overall versatility in your dps, because they just dps a different way.

Plus more ranged means you have to spread out more.

Deleted
    Plus more ranged means you have to spread out more.
    I don't think so.

It is one of the things that favours ranged over melee that they can stand everywhere, while melee have to be close to the boss. Ranged can stand up to 40y away or directly at the boss (with the exception of hunters).

So what remains in favour of melees?

Interrupts? --> One ele shaman can replace 2 melees on most bosses, possibly with support from the tank for less crucial casts.

DPS on the move? --> this might be the only real advantage, but I have trouble to think of a boss where this comes into play....

I don't like this aspect of t11 raids even though I don't play melee myself. But our raid has in general not enough ranged DPS and awesome melee. I don't like to take a mediocre warlock instead of a very good dk, just because the encounter is so much easier with 3 range/2 melee....

And to come back to the original question: I can't think of a boss in current (nonheroic) raids where the lack of melee could cause problems if you have at least one ele shaman. Sadly....

aside interttupts....
    if its 25m loot will be a huge problem...even 10m. wasting all melee gears and somehow spreading out precious caster gears,
    i mean it'll be awesome for tanks and huntards! tanks getting all OS gears and huntards pretty much eating up all mail gearz. kek

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    You'd want at least one melee, likely a rogue, for the reliable interupt....while yes tanks can interupt, its fairly crucial, on hardmodes in particular, that things that need to be interupted are 100% guaranteed to be interupted unless said interupter fails.
    Elemental shaman can interrupt every 6 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamlampard View Post
    aside interttupts....
    if its 25m loot will be a huge problem...even 10m. wasting all melee gears and somehow spreading out precious caster gears,
    i mean it'll be awesome for tanks and huntards! tanks getting all OS gears and huntards pretty much eating up all mail gearz. kek
    I must admit I totally forgot about the loot aspect.
    So i would say: I believe that every boss is doable without melee DPS, but assembling a raid of just ranged would mean really slow gearing up. (but lots of cristals )

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva View Post
    it's easy to hit 5% hit as a tank. no need for gems or nothing. i'm on interrupt duties as feral tank for maloriak. never missed yet.
    5% hit is still 3% short of the hit cap. 5% is the hit cap in pvp 8% is the cap in pve. Nice try though

As for having tanks interrupt, I would rather have the tanks focus on managing the boss and their hp rather than trying to watch for a cast to make sure they arent on a gcd.