Thread: Hunter Tanking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    N
    You burst for 35k? Then all you need is for each hunter to MD once to the pet and he'll be set the whole fight.
    Yeah no. MD doesnt work like this anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I've had my turtle tank on Omnitron and even those sissies hit my pet way too hard. It's better just to have your tanks L2P and bring something useful to the raid.
    If you read some of the other posts, he said he's doing it for fun and wants to know if it can be done. He didn't say there's a problem with his tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonMeyer View Post
    they're never going to be better than a real tank, simply because they don't have all the cooldowns, avoidance and mitigation necessary.
    a tenacity pet has better cooldowns than your tank, and just as much mitigation. Where pets fail is at avoidance. There is almost no way to get a pet with good avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonMeyer View Post
    This.

Though, pets CAN tank some bosses(heck a Voidwalker was the prefered tank for Sartharion+3 drakes at first... due to the insane AoE damage reduction), but they're never going to be better than a real tank, simply because they don't have all the cooldowns, avoidance and mitigation necessary.
    I'm sorry but at that point you are REALLY wrong. Tanks ENVY pets cooldowns. Shell Shield is a 50% damage reduction for 12s on a 1m (42s for BM) cooldown, Cower is a 40% damage reduction for 6s on a 45s (31s for BM) cooldown and lastly Last Stand offers a 30% HP boost for 20s on a 5m (4.2m for BM) cooldown. They also receive more healing, 50% or so more (not sure how Blood of Rhyno and Spirit Bound stack), while still having a nice HoT (Mend Pet should be ticking for 15k+ with a high HP), Silverback that should heal for about 6k every 5s and Spirit Bound ticks (16k~ every 10s). Ah, they also have 15% spell damage taken reduction.

With all that said... They can't be good tanks. They can't move the boss well, they can't taunt (13:27:28> Tartaruga Taunt failed. Onyxia was immune. Just tested it, less than 10m ago), they will go behind the boss whenever the boss untargets them (like Arcanotron casting a Arcane blast on a random raid member) causing some problematic/unnecessary/dangerous movement and... Their avoidance is really bad even though they have block and their armor is pretty low (I'm full epic and my turtle only has 26508 armor, or 50.42% physical damage reduction).