how to Prot warr 34+K DPS on halfus

Hey guys

As probably many of you know, its possible to achieve some great numbers in halfus fight as a prot warrior. Besides the obvious uses of all aoe/cleave damage mechanics that we can (glyphed cleave, inner rage, blood and thunder), I had a interesting (although obvious) idea when fighting him yesterday.

After the whelps and one drake were down and i was tanking the last drake (unfortunatly he was already at about 60% when i thought about this), i decided to keep threat on drake only with cleaves, and put my main damage on boss (that was with 100% extra damage at the time). The results were great, and I achieved 34k dps on the fight. Next week Ill try doing that as soon as the whelps or first drake dies, and thus remain doing that while the raid is killing 2 full drakes, and I really think it should possible to break 40k.

If you achieved even greater numbers or know any other useful tactics to improve this, be welcome to post =)

Here goes the screenshot (obs: the shockwave was selected at the time the SS was taken, thats why the hit/crit details are about shockwave only)

t_t did you just discover that fight or what

Quote Originally Posted by lowler View Post
    Keyboard-turning clicker.

Wonderful.
    Lol fail troll is fail. Besides using regular UI in my notebook, there are clearly 25+ keybinds including a naga mouse, and the keyboard turning keys are unbinded.

---------- Post added 2011-02-23 at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marilina View Post
    t_t did you just discover that fight or what
    acording to STATEOFDPS.com the top 200 guilds in world acording to worldoflogs.com are averaging 33k on halfus with prot warrs in 10 man regular mode, so sry, but is not that everyone is doing that

Also be more gentle, youre harsh =)
    Last edited by cuzaum; 2011-02-23 at 03:48 PM.

Our prot warrior did 46660 (138th) on H 25 last night this isn't something new bro.
    Pyrotix Destruction Warlock
    stalk and kill 6/8 Heroic 25 man apply today

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin1344 View Post
    Our prot warrior did 46660 (138th) on H 25 last night this isn't something new bro.
    I know is not something new, the purpose of the thread is to inform people that happen not to know how to perform like they should when tanking this fight

And my log is for a 10 man regular encounter, you cant compare a 25 man heroic log, where all 4 drakes + whelps go down buffing the damage on boss, and there is 15 extra people for buffs and thingies =)

It's only a way to make your numbers look better.
    In reality it doesn't do any difference on the encounter as it only slows down damage on the current target, it's not "how one should do to perform".
    But yeah, if personal dps is the only thing you care for, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    These numbers are an average, being spurted out by any Prot Warrior, in fact, any tank that is doing this fight. Nothing new, but congratulations on your numbers.
    I myself, was pulling 42691 on this fight, do not have a picture as I am at school.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of low. Our prot does 40k+, but that's heroic 25.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

15+ Year Old Account
    I love this fight as a prot warrior with Vengeance on the other tank. Shield Slam is juicy on this fight.

NOM NOM NOM delicious DPS
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-02-24 at 11:40 AM.

Deleted
    I stopped pulling those numbers and instead focused on doing my job, keeping threat you ask ?nope, killing the drakes as fast as possible to ease the load on the healers. - 10 heroic

Even some fury warriors spec Blood and Thunder on this fight.

I pull 35-42k as prot on Heroic 10s, sometimes my guild mage gets all the procs and the whelps go down fast (thus the variance in my 'dps')

Gimmick damage fights like that... dps figures have a very high variance

Deleted
    Err. Rather than focus on Halfus, you should put up sunders and inflict damage to your raid's current skull target. Your raid would benefit more from killing the dragons faster, allowing everyone to use the bonus damage taken Halfus has and not just you...

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Err. Rather than focus on Halfus, you should put up sunders and inflict damage to your raid's current skull target. Your raid would benefit more from killing the dragons faster, allowing everyone to use the bonus damage taken Halfus has and not just you...
    This. You're not there for DPS.

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse and say do your job as a tank and quit looking at meters since I'm sure you know that by now. But nice numbers none the less *hands cookie*

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

While keeping up sunders, TC and demo shout, I think you can use cleave to keep threat if that gives you top TPS. All extra DPS helps.

But flaming for bringing an informative post? What is up with that? I saw that one removed his/her account (quote of a post that doesn't exist) or it was removed by someone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesco View Post
    While keeping up sunders, TC and demo shout, I think you can use cleave to keep threat if that gives you top TPS. All extra DPS helps.

But flaming for bringing an informative post? What is up with that? I saw that one removed his/her account (quote of a post that doesn't exist) or it was removed by someone.
    The Cleave and AoE damage is great, but focusing single target abilities on Halfus is just a waste and that's where most of the damage is from.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    True. But isn't this post actually about being selfish and boosting your own dps for giggles and WMO logs?

Focus on the drakes if you're on a progress raid, but once its an easy kill, let your hair down, do silly things. As long as you don't cause wipes, you're doing okay. An interesting kill with people happily discussing the meter is actually a nicer place to be, than a raid that is just doing the same old boring boss kill in order to get to the harder bosses.