Healing lvl 70-77 post 4.0.6

Hello. One of my many alts is a priest I started to level pre-BC. After many years she is now 69. (Took a long time I know, but I wasn't that fond of the times when a big chunk of my dps while leveling was my wand.)

Anyways, I specced into Holy the other day and threw myself into the dungon finder. Only preperations was to make some mouseover macros for my spells and set up grid.
    This is me: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../aethir/simple

It went miserably to say the least. I leveled as disco mostly in dungeons in outland, but wasn't ready for such a fail attempt on my side in UK normal. I don't recall specifics but I think the tank was a 71-72 DK. (Seems most tanks while leveling in those ranges are DK's).

What basically happened was that the tank's health went down fast + dps taking damage as well. He was tank specced though. (Got a dk tank myself so I know what to look for).
    I felt that I couldn't handle the speed of which the groups health was diminishing.

To cut things short. I felt that I didn't even have time to cast a heal before the tank dropped below 25-30%. Not to mention the dps dropping at the same time as well. I noticed that my renews barely slowed the drops and I basically used circle of healing as a single target healing spell in panic due to its insta-cast.

So any hints on how to heal at these levels would be most appreciated.

Should I just go Disco again and PW:S spam?

Deleted
    At your level the cataclysm healing style heasn't kicked in yet, mana is still available in surplus and damage patterns are bursty and erratic, it's a good idea to try and use flash heal+Greater heal liberaly while staying in serenity chakra for that instant heal.

Prayer of mending and serenity of people dying are your friends while greater/Flash heal keep the group up through any incoming damage.

Just be ready to relearn your healing strategy when you reach 85.

Thanks for the input. I'll try some FH spam out tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    The change from Outland to Northrend can be brutal at first (at least how I remember it). As said above mana isn't really an issue until around level 83, so feel free to use your fastest heal.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Those runecasters in UK are especially brutal if they get their fire spell off. Then again you should be able to handle it easily with Prayer of Healing. I leveled 70-76 as disc in dungeons and all I did was occasional shield on tank and smite spam. My healing done was something like 40% atonement, 25% PW:S and PoH/Prayer of Mending/Penance rest.

I'd honestly stay Disc through Northrend. It's not that the tank/group is taking so much damage, it is that people don't have over-infalted health pools like you'll see at 85. When someone is getting hit, their % drops fast. PW:S & renew are amazing tools at these levels to mitigate damage and avoid too much "oh-shit!" healing. The power of Holy comes in during Cata when people have more survivability and you have the time to relax and use reg heal and wait for cooldowns / procs to keep people up through the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
    I'd honestly stay Disc through Northrend. It's not that the tank/group is taking so much damage, it is that people don't have over-infalted health pools like you'll see at 85. When someone is getting hit, their % drops fast. PW:S & renew are amazing tools at these levels to mitigate damage and avoid too much "oh-shit!" healing. The power of Holy comes in during Cata when people have more survivability and you have the time to relax and use reg heal and wait for cooldowns / procs to keep people up through the encounter.
    This, go Disc.

My disc priest is now 72 and healing usually goes like this:

Shield
    Smite x 3
    Penance
    Smite x 3
    repeat....

If damage is really coming in use pain suppression and if both penance and shield are CD use flash heal to keep the tank alive.

My armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rtstare/simple

Update: Did two UK runs last night. Still as holy. Went a lot better. I took the advice from here and basically stuck to Flash Heal and Greater Heal. Once I got more comfortable I tried to stick to Heal due to its lower mana usage. I must admit though, that the pally tank did use WoG liberally and at some points it actually saved him when I was stuck in a 2.5 sec casting heal. PoH is amazing at this level. Slow casting but once it goes off it basically tops everyone up. I tried to keep PoM on cooldown, and spot healed with FH at the end.

Still many things to improve on.
    - Remember that I have chakra, and actually use it.
    - Quicker shielding when tank goes down fast and I need do buy myself some time. (Could help if I key-bound it. :P )
    - Remember that I might need to shield or heal myself as well sometimes. Almost died a few times because I missed I took damage. Tunnel-visioned I guess on the rest of the party.

Installed Vuhdo last night as well. Haven't tried it yet. Just fiddled with the settings. So many things setup, but I'll keep at it.

In the end I hear what some of you are saying. Just to go disc while in northrend. Guess I might give it a shot and see how atonement healing works.. Although I feel that some holy practice shouldn't be bad for cata-preparation.