Q:Magmaw 25 Man Heroic

Hi , my guild will soonish be attempting this. Does the community here have any good and helpful strats with the new changes from patch ?

Yeah, go do another boss until you've done the easier ones. qq

Seriously though, people need to be on the fucking ball about moving out of fire BEFORE it hits (it is all avoidable), DPS needs to be HIGH on the constructs, and your parasite kiter needs to be pro. Also, healing needs to be pro. Also, the tanks need to be very clear in communications regarding taunting/mangles/etc. Also you need to make sure to plan construct DPS so you don't lose too much dps time on the head (ie: don't let a construct dip below 20% during a head phase if you can help it).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Constructs need to die. But make sure you have whatever DPS possible on them when they go sub 20% as they will cast armageddon, which deals a ton of damage to the whole raid if finished channeling. Also, the parasites will have to be kited, which is pretty darn easy as a frost DK with chillblains.

For the last phase make sure to spread. The lava spew will still hit in addition to Nefarians random splash attack.

What might also be worth mentioning is that he was nerfed a few weeks back bringing his HP from 146m to 120m. You can however no longer use the kite tactic which leads to killing the adds as already mentioned.

You've only got halfus down - you should go for Chimaeron, Maloriak, Atramedes and Conclave of Wind before you attempt Magmaw. Its simply that much more brutal and one of the "medium" hard modes. The other 4 are way easier.

Yeah , we will ^_^. But was hoping to get info in advance for when we might get to Magmaw lol. Not be like , oh , snap , what now. Not that I'm that positive ( I'll be honest , that heroic mace would be nice ). Please do provide the info though and thank you for all the responses so far. My Guild Leader just mentioned that there was no good info on the web about the fight after the changes, so thanks for the input so far.

Having recently downed this for the first time on heroic myself, i have to say it is not that much harder than normal.

Wanted to write some guide, but the person above me sums it up pretty well.

The hardest part for us was getting people to pay attention for 10 minutes, so we would stop having random deaths on each attempt.
    Last edited by Lobstarrr; 2011-03-01 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstarrr View Post
    Having recently downed this for the first time on heroic myself, i have to say it is not that much harder than normal.

Wanted to write some guide, but the person above me sums it up pretty well.

The hardest part for us was getting people to pay attention for 10 minutes, so we would stop having random deaths on each attempt.
    Yea, this. It took us about 2 hours of attempts, but could have been much shorter without random deaths from fire. Theres no learning curve to this fight; it's all simple and strightforward, nothing can take you by suprise. Once people stop standing in crap you win, p2 is a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    The main problem in this encounter is that people generally like standing in fire.

Move out of meteors (those are the ones where the skeletons spawn).

Move out of pillars. You know them from normal mode.

Don't stand near the moving fire trails. Seriously, they move. One moment you're safely 5 yards away, the next, you're being toasted faster than you'd like.

The melees have to be especially careful. It can be hard to see for them if they get a meteor. And repositioning is important, so the adds can be DPSed properly without anyone accidentally standing in fire.

If you're bringing resto shamans, have them spec into telluric currents so they can re-fill their mana when the head is exposed.

At some points in the fight (when the head is exposed), your add-tank will have to tank 2 adds for a few moments. He'll get a lot of damage. Then the low add needs to die quickly and the second one needs to follow, ideally before the new add will spawn. You'll have to figure out the exact timing for yourself.

Also, all throughout the fight, Mag will do his lava spew thing. Have your paladins use their absorbs, aura mastery stuff, whatever. I also place my stoneclaw for myself whenever I can spare the GCD. Incoming damage is high.

P2 is simply a dps race. Kill that beast before your healers are entirely oom and the raid is dead.

Transition into p2 effectively will reduce the difficulty of this fight drastically for a guild. While on 25m it's not so rough(raid walls are more numerous) for 10m pushing p2 at the wrong time will most likely be fatal.

Magmaw himself needs to reach 30% for p2 to begin. When you are attacking the head, Magmaw's health remains above 30% until he pops back up. This means that if you push below 30% during the head phase, you are reducing your time spent in p2. With a group of solid dps, you can have Magmaw at 10% when p2 finally does start, allowing you to just cd the tank and finish the boss. Note that a Blazing will still spawn, because the fight still functions as p1, but given that you have so little time in p2 it's really not important - your single target CD's can be rolled for the short amount of time in p2.

In case you don't know, the danger of p2 is Shadow Breath, a painful ability fired every ~.5 seconds that does splash damage and hits for 20k, requiring your raid to spread out. Combined with spew and magma spit and without a raid wall, it's certain to lead to a few deaths. Pushing p2 this way will result in two spews at most.

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    Seriously though, people need to be on the fucking ball about moving out of fire BEFORE it hits (it is all avoidable)
    There's a lot of fire going on. I know the Ignition and the fire that drops from the Construct Meteors and when half the room is on fire and the Pillar of Flame, thats a must to avoid. Can you also avoid any of the fire from Magmaw himself?