Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

I'm sorry but a random google search doesn't help anything. Yes, Modern Warfare 2 did get game of the year from some people. So did Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age: Origins, and Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 2 got the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thoroughly enjoyed ME2. However, after playing DA:O which was alright, I expected DA2 to be a bit 'more'.

It just felt very boring for me unfortunately. That's not saying it's a bad game at all. It just didn't hit me as being amazing. Which is normally what a single player game should do from the get go. Multiplayers often need a lot of play time to properly get the feel for them.

---------- Post added 2011-03-10 at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

I'm sorry but a random google search doesn't help anything. Yes, Modern Warfare 2 did get game of the year from some people. So did Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age: Origins, and Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 2 got the most.
    ME2 got a hell of a lot too!
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

moaradin
    So basically you lost and now you're quoting 2009 to justify your arguement about 2010.
    Gotcha.

Rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I played the demo of DA2 and was bored within the first five minutes.

The main character is completely uninspired and uninteresting. You're thrown into the deep end of the story without any character development other than, "This guy is important because we are telling you flat out that he is!" The NPC's you're travelling with are the same and I feel absolutely no connection to them whatsoever. The combat annoying unless you pause, select ability, pause, select ability, pause... OMFG KILL ME NOW!.
    I was much more confused than bored.

Having never played a BioWare game before, I downloaded the ME2 and DA2 demos to see what I've been missing.

ME2: I could live without the boring recap of ME1, but at least this demo had a tutorial phase which stepped me through the various abilities & controls i.e. how to pick things up, how to use cover, etc before throwing me into combat.

DA2: WTF? First I'm thrown into combat with several abilities on my bar - which I don't know anything about - and I stumble-around trying each one to see what it does... surprised I survived, actually. Then I'm running down the path and SURPRISE! = I only have one skill on my bar as a wave of enemies approach... WTF !? WTF !? WTF !?

I only wish I knew about the "pause, select, pause, select..." aspect of combat. I'll have to go try it again, to see if I can get any father on the demo.
    Last edited by Yseraboy; 2011-03-10 at 01:01 AM.
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying it.
    It's not as good as DA:O, but it's still a game that's worth everything I payed for it and even more since I'll probably play it at least three times through.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    [/COLOR]

ME2 got a hell of a lot too!
    Dragon Age: Origins, Modern Warfare 2, and Uncharted 2 was 2009. ME2 goto the most awards in 2010. The closest game to ME2 was Red Dead Redemption. No other game really competed with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Yseraboy View Post
    I was much more confused than bored.

Having never played a BioWare game before, I downloaded the ME2 and DA2 demos to see what I've been missing.

ME2: I could live without the boring recap of ME1, but at least this demo had a tutorial phase which stepped me through the various abilities & controls i.e. how to pick things up, how to use cover, etc before throwing me into combat.

DA2: WTF? First I'm thrown into combat with several abilities on my bar - which I don't know anything about - and I stumble-around trying each one to see what it does... surprised I survived, actually. Then I'm running down the path and SURPRISE! = I only have one skill on my bar as a wave of enemies approach... WTF !? WTF !? WTF !?

I only wish I knew about the "pause, select, pause, select..." aspect of combat. I'll have to go try it again, to see if I can get any father on the demo.
    The weirdest demo I ve played, like they put it in the game just for the sake of .. demoing action-oriented combat system. It is in the retail too, but acts as a tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    The weirdest demo I ve played, like they put it in the game just for the sake of .. demoing action-oriented combat system. It is in the retail too, but acts as a tutorial.
    They do introduce the abilities to you one at a time, it's just way too fast. It should have paused combat and explained new abilities when they were granted to you, rather than just popping them onto your bar. But still, that intro was just for shits and giggles I think: mash buttons, kill darkspawn, find out it was an exaggeration.

Well I can give a first thoughts review, for what it is worth.

I like the combat now, compared to DA1 but I love ME2 to no end so count that how you will.

The quests are pretty easy and simple to find.

Interactions with people is a bit dumbed down but I dont care, It wasnt hard to figure out in the first game what was good/evil/neutral.

The graphics on DX11 are redonkulous and I really like the art on the maps and whatnot.

So far the story is fun and exciting.

My biggest complaint is the lack of interaction with things. You walk into a mansion and out of the 45 doors, 792 books, 52 people and 110 dressers only 2 of them are able to be interacted with. You really cant talk to ANYONE unless they are quest oriented or salesmen and that begins to peel away the level of immersion for me. I try to ignore it but when I run down a hallway and get to a door that wont open I go "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE!"

Other than that, it was worth the money so far and Im sure Ill get my time in game to make it worth it in the long run. Not to mention the cool shit Ill probably get in ME3 for owning/beating this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age 2 delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    [/COLOR]

Everyone in DA2 seems to have a set of Bosom that the goddesses of love and beauty themselves will envy. It's actually creepy really.
    No they don't. It's only Flemeth and Isabela, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Basically, unless you really, really get into a smaller, planer, more liner storyline, then it is not the game for you, I'd suggest looking for another game or looking for mods on DA:O.
    You're not able to play both because? You're calling someone else a fanboy, but everything you do is tell everyone else they're wrong if they enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Combat is now hack and slash style with a bit of asian console game animations added in.
    Combat is exactly the same as in first one, just faster. Have you even tried the game?
    Last edited by Fojos; 2011-03-10 at 04:09 AM.

What's GOOD in DA2:

- Combat System
    - Graphics, new models for NPC
    - Talent System
    - Crafting

What's BAD in DA2:

- Story
    - Fanboys of DAO will be disappointed with DA2, it just doesnt feel Dragon Age
    - Exploration
    - Dialogue with your companions is Pre-Determined
    - A LOT of Mass Effect 2 influences can be found in DA2

Yes I have and no it isn't.
    Yes, it is. Explain how it's different.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only RPG elements there are is that you can chose different answers in conversations, that ALL there is left.

You can't talk to random NPC's which used to be a thing you would do to get clues and gameplay is extremely linear.

Combat is now hack and slash style with a bit of asian console game animations added in.

I'm fine with some people liking that, but I don't get why us with different opinions get bashed on constantly.
    I'll take a stab at this.

I'm talking about this game because I enjoy it. Next person comes along and quotes me saying something along the lines of, "rofl. You are blind. That game sucks. Bad animations. Hack and slash button mash. Can't talk to every single book on the floor. Sellouts! Where's the rpg? Etc etc"

So, since I had said I liked the game, and that person basically said I am stupid for liking the game, I get defensive. I say,"I feel it's a rpg, I dont know what you are talking about. The combat is not even close to hack and slash. There ate abilities like every rpg and you use them. It's just that your auto attack animation is a bit more fantasy like than stab your staff into the air one time like the predecessor. The graphics are great. The story is very compelling. I want to play more!"

Then the next person says, dude, you are a fanboy!!!!! This game is the suxxors!"

And so on

So whoever posts that they like a game gets bashed, and ten you wonder why they bash back at people quoting them and saying they think this sucks?

I would think it's pretty clear to see.

We are posting on these forums for views and debate. That's pretty much what it boils down to. I'm fine with debate and your opinions. But if you are going to post after me and contradict everything I just said, you should be prepared to have me retort. And calling me a fanboy is dumb. Just saying.

Hope that helped. =)

---------- Post added 2011-03-09 at 08:22 PM ----------

Btw, "you" and "I" are measly examples, and don't literally mean you and I. =)

i just killed the ancient earth wraith and that took almost as much coordination as the queen of the marsh in awakening..

Deleted
    The only RPG elements there are is that you can chose different answers in conversations, that ALL there is left.
    The fact is that it falls fully under the RPG cathegory under description. This is taken directly from the latest Oxford dictionary: "role-playing game

a game in which players take on the roles of imaginary characters who engage in adventures, typically in a particular fantasy setting overseen by a referee. "

And there is no authority greater than Oxford when it comes to the English language and hence the meaning of the word is exactly that. There is nothing about what you keep ranting about.

And also if you want to pervert the words and spin a bullshit tale how it's the "meaning today", nobody gives a shit what genre it is. It's an excellent game.

A question to those who have played the demo and the game: is the game anything like the demo?

I got the impression that the demo was just basically a crippled version of the first three levels. If that's the case, then I have no further interest in DA2. If, however, the demo is a piss-poor representation of the game and the story starts somewhere else and follows a different path than the demo, then colour me interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    A question to those who have played the demo and the game: is the game anything like the demo?

I got the impression that the demo was just basically a crippled version of the first three levels. If that's the case, then I have no further interest in DA2. If, however, the demo is a piss-poor representation of the game and the story starts somewhere else and follows a different path than the demo, then colour me interested.
    To quote myself from page 1 of this thread:
    I'm very much enjoying the game. AI is much improved, as well as graphics for people that want that. Combat is different, but really not so different from Origions imo. The story (so far) is great. Npc character interactions with eachother are still good. Side quests seem relevant and are not tedious.

My only gripes are that some hands are strange. Bethany has the hands of an old hag. And I think they skimped on the facial expessions, especially considering all the closeups. They are much better than the evil demo that should never been released, but still are nowhere near where they are for TOR.

Overall, I think it's better than Origions.
    The game does start at the point where the demo does. That is the tutorial beginning. But the demo failed to capture the game and the story.

They should not have released that demo.

Combat is the same as 1st version, only you have to play in 3rd persion over-the-shoulder view now rather than bird view, which make aoe positioning a bit harder. Its easier too, thank to AoE deal no damage on your allies (dont play on nightmare so Im not sure 100%). I dont get why people are so upset about the fast paced combat of DA2, lol.

For the streamlined/dumbed down RPG elements (dialogue/interaction/crafting/exploring etc.), some people like it, some dont. I belong to the first lot that doesnt want to bother itself with crafting and such, only to focus on questing, combat and plot. DA2 does GOOD at these.

Yeah that's sure a compelling argument, kudos to you for your effort.
    You aint any better with your posts so far in this thread.