Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Getting ready to order, final changes?

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD: HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    RAM: GeIL Value PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GVP34GB1600C9DC
    MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
    COOLING: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Sorry for this enormous chunk of text, but these are the parts I am ordering. I will not be playing much other games except WoW, so I supposed that 4gb will suffice. I think that these are a pretty good chunk of parts, but would like your guys final opinion on it.

Thanks for your input!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you really need Ultimate? The only thing it has over Win 7 Pro is BitLocker. Also Arctic Silver 5 will work okay, but there are better thermal compounds available now. I use IC Diamond, but Newegg doesn't have that. Consider Arctic Cooling MX-2 imo.

I would say a diff psu, I went with some weird brand last time and it was 730watt at that? I would stick with a corsair psu imo. The last psu I had shorted just about everything I had inside my case.

Deleted
    PSUs can be pretty random at times, especially from no-name brands. Their performance rarely resembles the numbers listed on the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Truukk View Post
    I would say a diff psu, I went with some weird brand last time and it was 730watt at that? I would stick with a corsair psu imo. The last psu I had shorted just about everything I had inside my case.
    Seasonic is the premier brand in power supplies..Corsair sells a few rebranded Seasonic units, as well as Antec and other big hitters. Seasonic is the standard.

@op - Your build is fine, consider a bigger case (full tower for more air circulation and room to expand).

Other suggestions:
    Samsung Spinpoint F3
    G.Skill RAM for their customer support/reputation
    Something besides AS5 because of the cure time (MX-3. NT-H1)
    560 instead of 6870
    Last edited by Blahblahblah; 2011-03-13 at 03:49 AM.

Ah ok, Never heard of them myself. My bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, a different PSU (like the Corsair HX 650W 80+) would be a more reliable choice.

Good build for WoW, but maybe just get W7 Home Premium, anything higher is aimed at business / professional use.

To condense what others have said.. I'd definitely move some of the OS money into psu & other ram, and imo 8gb of ram. 8gb is a little much but I'd rather have it than 6gb. You're only playing wow right now, but there's no telling what you'll be playing 6 months from now. Of course, go 2x4gb instead of 4x2gb

Here's your GEIL choice (2*2gb 1600) - $44.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...44461&Tpk=geil

Here's my CORSAIR suggestion (2*4gb, 1600) $99.99 - $15 with promo code EMCKGJK39 = $84.99 - Far better deal imo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-324-_-Product
    Where was this deal a week ago when I ordered =(
    Last edited by Catering; 2011-03-13 at 04:23 AM.

Do yourself a huge favor and ignore any advice of people who are bashing Seasonic power supplies..do the research yourself if you need to..Seasonic is the premier power supply builder, their units are rebranded by the likes of Corsair, Antec, etc. JonnyGuru is the premier PSU reviewer, look at some of his Seasonic reviews, they are all 9+/10.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Not sure how much different the CM690 II is, but I found the original CM690 clunky, not optimal for airflow despite how it looked, and a total pain in the ass to clean.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thank you all! I suppose I'll grab 8 gb of ram, possibly looking at a new PSU and a slightly bigger case. Thanks for your advice !

Nothing wrong with that PSU Lichkang, unless you want one with more wattage. Seasonic is the Best.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I saved $30 from going from a 620W to a 650W. Go figure. But, I went from Seasonic to Corsair, but they are both reputable brands, right?

yeah, Corsair is solid.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-03-13 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichkang View Post
    Actually, I saved $30 from going from a 620W to a 650W. Go figure. But, I went from Seasonic to Corsair, but they are both reputable brands, right?
    SeaSonic is a premier brand of PSUs, they should be just as (if not more) trusted and reliable than Corsair or Antec. As for RAM, 2x4 GB of Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ or Kingston (any of them, really) will do the job. Just make sure its 1333 MHz +.

As for the graphics, card, either the Radeon 6870 or the Gtx 560 Ti will do the job. They're both mid-high range cards, about same value, same performance/$. The 560 might win by 3-4% in most games (really small and un-noticeable difference, honestly), but the Radeon will perform better in AMD titles (such as, say, DiRT 2, for example). Alot of people are fanboys on forums, so go for whatever you like the best and skip their advice concerning either brands. Both of these cards are REALLY good for the price, and will make you happy, for most games, and will be MORE than plenty for WoW.

Good luck,
    Chicken

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    As others have said, a different PSU (like the Corsair HX 650W 80+) would be a more reliable choice.
    You realize the Corsair HX650 is a Seasonic S12E right?

It's always hilarious to me when people steer others away from Seasonic. Seasonic's retail product line-up is one of the best in the industry from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    You realize the Corsair HX650 is a Seasonic S12E right?

It's always hilarious to me when people steer others away from Seasonic. Seasonic's retail product line-up is one of the best in the industry from top to bottom.
    I laugh at that too. It's natural though. Most people just haven't heard of Seasonic yet. Companies like Corsair and Antec, who re-package them, have well established and trusted brand recognition, which is what most people look for when they ask for advice.

The only reason why I would recommend Antec or Corsair over Seasonic is because they are cheaper, but they are all more or less on par as far as quality and reliability goes.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Make sure your motherboard is a b3 revision mother board. As this will have no issues with the sata ports over time.

I am sending mine back soon as msi email me to arrange collection. As shown here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=5&subcat=1906