10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder why they chose to put Stannis in Braavos, seeing as he never goes there in the books.

Can't wait for the next episode. Never been so stoked for a TV show ever.
    Then I suggest reading the books. There is no way they'll be able to portray the end to his trial visually as well as it's done in the books. That ending alone is worth reading the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I wonder why they chose to put Stannis in Braavos, seeing as he never goes there in the books.

I think it's probably because at this point in the books, there's a Braavosi banker looking for Stannis who is encamped outside Winterfell. The books seem to imply the Bank is in the process of changing its support to Stannis, but the show seems to be pushing it in the direction that Stannis convinces them to support him. This method introduces that whole part of the world, Braavos, to the series again, as we've only ever seen it through Syrio Forrel (Arya's Water Dancing teacher) previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Awesome episode. Kinda surprised to see some alterations in the series compared to the book. What I'm talking about is that in the books, the part where the sheepherder his herd was killed by Dany's dragons, it was actually his son, and he lays down the bones of his son infront of Dany, rather than his goat. Seeing how gory the show already is with burned children early on in the show, I was surprised they changed that part.
    That part comes later.
    It starts with the goats, but later one of the farmers children end up getting killed by Drogon.
    Last edited by MrLordDariusCrowley; 2014-05-12 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think it's probably because at this point in the books, there's a Braavosi banker looking for Stannis who is encamped outside Winterfell. The books seem to imply the Bank is in the process of changing its support to Stannis, but the show seems to be pushing it in the direction that Stannis convinces them to support him. This method introduces that whole part of the world, Braavos, to the series again, as we've only ever seen it through Syrio Forrel (Arya's Water Dancing teacher) previously.
    Aaa, right, I forgot that. I'm on my 2nd way through the books atm

Why didn't Tyrion demand the trial by combat earlier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Why didn't Tyrion demand the trial by combat earlier?
    Guess he figured he would see how the trial went. Once he realized that he was 100% going to be judged guilty and Tywin basically pushed him too hard, he decided that he would rather be dead than give his father what he wants. So, he then decided to do a trial by combat.

Tyrion isn't unreasonable. Considering it's fairly clear to the viewer that Tyrion isn't guilty, I think Tyrion (and the viewer) are supposed to hope he gets actual justice in the trial. Since all the evidence is circumstantial, at the very best. Until Shae comes in and lies up a storm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Guess he figured he would see how the trial went. Once he realized that he was 100% going to be judged guilty and Tywin basically pushed him too hard, he decided that he would rather be dead than give his father what he wants. So, he then decided to do a trial by combat.
    Yeah, Tywin actually seems to have been planning the whole thing. It seems like he knows that Tyrion is not guilty but Tywin is trying to take advantage of Jaime's feelings toward his brother to force him to carry the him(he does not want Tyrion to carry on the family name, hes is a dwarf). Just go back to the seen with Jaime and Tywin, Tywin accepts Jaime's offer so quickly, You think Tywin(a smart guy who thinks of everything) would give Jaime's offer at least some thought, unless he planned it all along.

But Tyrion knows that is what his father was planning the whole time so he does not want to give it to him. His own death for him would be better than giving his father a true heir.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-05-12 at 10:45 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Tywin accepts Jaime's offer so quickly, You think Tywin(a smart guy who thinks of everything) would give Jaime's offer at least some thought, unless he planned it all along.
    Considering who we're dealing with, its not surprising if the whole thing is planned by him all along, save for being part of the plan to poison joffrey. Which i wouldn't put past him.

I don't think the trial was being setup against Tyrion by Cersei. I think it was being setup against Tyrion by Tywin. So he could gain control of Jaime. And perhaps finally put several castles between him and his sister. Because thats been a major problem for him these past couple decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    The writers of the show wanted to show Braavos since the Iron Bank had been hinted many times before and also to show that without Sir Davos Stannis is screwed.
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    The writers of the show wanted to show Braavos since the Iron Bank had been hinted many times before and also to show that without Sir Davos Stannis is screwed.
    Both those things will be achieved as the story progresses and didn't require what was done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Considering who we're dealing with, its not surprising if the whole thing is planned by him all along, save for being part of the plan to poison joffrey. Which i wouldn't put past him.

I don't think the trial was being setup against Tyrion by Cersei. I think it was being setup against Tyrion by Tywin. So he could gain control of Jaime. And perhaps finally put several castles between him and his sister. Because thats been a major problem for him these past couple decades.
    I don't think Tywin killed Joffery but he just took advantage of it. That is one of the great things about Tywin, he can take things that he did not even create and use it to his advantage.

I did not like the Ramsay scene with Theon's Sister. I mean, they had like 6 guys with just Ramsay there, just kill the guy and go. Though Ramsay did look badass there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedia View Post
    I am pretty sure they did show a vision of Braavos before.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-05-12 at 11:04 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    In the viewers guide they explain more about Braavos:

And here one of the writers talks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cogman
    Much more appropriate! It was one of those iconic sequences and a touch of [author] George R.R. Martin’s world that we wanted to get into the show. We weren’t originally planning on going to Braavos this season, but thought the Iron Bank had been teased enough and wanted to put a face on the entity this season. Also, when mapping out the season, we wanted to delve into what it takes to get a maintain and army — no other fantasy series gets into the financial side of things, which is something George does really well.

Absolutely. That was the idea. When we first broached the subject of bringing in the Iron Bank, for awhile the version was [Iron Bank representative Tycho Nestoris] would come to Dragonstone and meet on Stannis’ turf. It just seemed like whenever we can open up this world and give the audience something new visually and take characters out of their comfort zone, the better. We thought it would be more dramatic and interesting to put Stannis in the position of having to go ask for a loan. It’s a humiliating situation. The Stannis storyline is certainly more of a slow burn, but it will pay off.
    Black Lives Matter

I never understand people freaking out about changes that make the world more realistic for people. The story didn't lose a single thing by showing Braavos at this point in time. If anything, it added to the pomp and circumstance that seems to surround the bank that, up until this point, people only hear about.

It was a good change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking awesome episode. Peter Dinklage needs ALL THE AWARDS, once you've given them all to him, make up some new ones, my suggestion "Best anyone to do anything on TV ever". Award it yearly, always to Peter Dinklage.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    The smallest man has by far the biggest balls. Tyrion FTW, the only human character I ever liked in the show.

Tyrion and White Walkers FTW, nuke the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Both those things will be achieved as the story progresses and didn't require what was done.
    You don´t know that. That scene could allow them to cut out unnecessary stuff in the future. it is clear that as the TV show has gained traction, it has given the writers more liberty to deviate from the books. At this point, I am guessing HBO is giving a lot of ´advice´ on how the next books are going to go.

- - - Updated - - -

The staredown at the very end. It was a mental chess match. Tywin realizes that Jaime will be the champion for Tyrion, which check-mates the deal he just made with Jaime. The problem Tywin has is that the only way he can keep Jaime from being the champion, is by stating he is in the guard, which means Jaime will not be going back to castlerock, which is all Tywin really wanted from all of this. Now, did Tyrion demand the trial by combat knowing all that?

Also, I laughed when Tyrion was bring brought into the court and someone said ´kingslayer´... did both brothers look?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    You don´t know that. That scene could allow them to cut out unnecessary stuff in the future. it is clear that as the TV show has gained traction, it has given the writers more liberty to deviate from the books. At this point, I am guessing HBO is giving a lot of ´advice´ on how the next books are going to go.
    Anyone who has read the books *does* know that. There is absolutely no way they can cut Braavos out. It will be a main POV setting at the beginning of the next season, and that POV has nothing to do with Stannis or the Iron Bank.

And I doubt that HBO is giving 'advice' to GRRM. Every bit of story that HBO has invented has been inferior to his writings. I mean, my God, that whole "Jon going to kill the mutineers" was terrible, only there to tie up a lose end invented by HBO and to stall as, in the book, the setting at the wall should be different right now.
    Last edited by Biged781; 2014-05-13 at 04:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The staredown at the very end. It was a mental chess match. Tywin realizes that Jaime will be the champion for Tyrion, which check-mates the deal he just made with Jaime. The problem Tywin has is that the only way he can keep Jaime from being the champion, is by stating he is in the guard, which means Jaime will not be going back to castlerock, which is all Tywin really wanted from all of this. Now, did Tyrion demand the trial by combat knowing all that?

Also, I laughed when Tyrion was bring brought into the court and someone said ´kingslayer´... did both brothers look?
    I rewatched the Jaime and Tywin scene(this will be a third time now> .>) and when Tywin says "And father children named 'Lannister'". I kinda feel that last part kind of hints that Tywin knows that Cersei's childern are also Jaime's.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-05-13 at 01:26 AM.

I just watched the latest episode, and holy shit.

If Tyrion ever dies I will quit watching this show. I am dead fucking serious.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.