Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    Can someone explain what is the Rains of Castamere? I thought it was like a Lannister song or something...
    There was once a powerful noble house called House Reyne with a Red Lion as a sigil (as opposed to the Lannister's Gold Lion). They were the Lords of Castamere. They were also the second wealthiest House in the Seven Kingdoms, behind only the Lannisters. They had a rebellion against their Liege Lord, Tytos Lannister. House Reyne was eradicated. Not a single member of the family survived.

The Rains of Castamere was a song written about the event. "Rains" and "Reynes" are switched in a bit of wordplay.

From the ASoIaF wiki:

During the reign of Tytos Lannister the Lord of House Reyne rebelled against his overlord along with the Tarbecks of Tarbeck Hall. The Lord of House Reyne was an experienced warrior while Lord Tytos was rather weak so it appeared that their rebellion could be successful. In the end Tytos's young son and heir Tywin Lannister held the command of the Lannister army. Tywin besieged the castles and destroyed the rebels. After the rebellion the seats of the rebels were brought down and both houses were completely exterminated.

It is not known if the rebels died in acts of war or that they were executed.

And the lyrics:

And who are you, the proud lord said,
    that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat,
    that's all the truth I know.
    In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
    a lion still has claws,
    And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
    as long and sharp as yours.
    And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
    that lord of Castamere,
    But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
    with no one there to hear.
    Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
    and not a soul to hear.

The "proud lord" in the song is Lord Reyne.
    Last edited by Tore; 2012-05-28 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    SNIP
    Ah thank you that was an interesting read.
    Black Lives Matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Don't know what you've been reading. The kingdom prospered reatly under The Mad King when Tywin was hand, so much so that people were practically considering him the real ruler. Not to mention bringing the Lannister house up from severe decline and money issues.
    Yeah, Ser Ilyn lampshading this was the reason he lost his tongue to begin with. Cersei also recalls that the people would cheer twice as loudly for Tywin than Aerys.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    Can someone explain what is the Rains of Castamere? I thought it was like a Lannister song or something...
    I was so glad they played the version of that song by the National at the end of the episode. I heard that the other day on io9 or someplace and it was just great.

Watching this episode again. It is seriously like Through the Looking Glass or The Constant from LOST good and I consider those the two greatest episodes of any show I have ever seen, especially Through the Looking Glass. Between "Not Penny's Boat" and "We have to go back" that episode still amazes me having seen it like a dozen times now. I just can not get over how incredible the explosion and the aftermath was, especially for a television show. Michael Bay has spent roughly a billion dollars on making explosions for the Transformers movies and not a single one looked a quarter as impressive as the one HBO did last night.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Well we could see in last night's episode that the cut didn't really do anything to his nose (oddly). He'll more than likely just have a big slash down his face.
    It went right through the top of his nose. Thankfully it didn't cut his nose clean off as that would have made the makeup for him in the future both grotesque and incredibly time consuming and just plain weird. I'd much rather have him be slightly mutilated than completely mutilated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy jumping crackers of flaming green awesome batman... that episode was EEEPPPIIICCCC.

That was hands down the most intense hour of TV I've seen in a longlonglonglong time, everything from that first near cataclysmic explosion (so glad they kept the flames green ) through to the amazing version of Rains of Castemere at the end, everything about it was as close to perfect as I think they could have made it.
    The list of people who were insanely epiccly pimp in this episode is pretty long..

Bronn: loved the whole seen with him and the gold cloaks, and then his faceoff with The Hound, OMG I would love to see that fight (my money would be on the hound though, bronn is good, but the hound is legendary ), then firing the fateful arrow to ignite the most epic explosion I've seen in a long time, be it cinema, TV or that time I acidentally dropped a lit sparkler into a box of fireworks...

Davos: loved the first scene with him and Mathos, just a shame they got assploded a few seconds later.

The Hound: What a pimp, I've spoken to a few of my friends, who're not readers, and they now understand why I loved the hound , I'm SO glad they kept the scene with him and Sansa in, and MAN he was such a monster on the battle field cutting bitches in half with insane ease. Gotta love his signoff though Tyrion "What about the kingsguard? What about the city? What about your king!" Hound "Fuck the Kingsguard, Fuck the city *pause to be badass, stares right at Joffrey* and FUCK the king" How long do you think he's been waiting to say that?

Tyrion: Tyrion may be one of my favourite literary characters ever, and brought to life perfectly by Peter Dinklage. Any battleplan that ends with a river being on fire is a battleplan I can get behind, and once that's done to lead a sneak attack to take out the battering ram, after giving the most epic speach of the season? doesn't get much better than that. I'm guessing they'll go for the slight scar, maybe a little messing up of the nose, but nothing to horrible. also Pod FTW

Stannis: I've been saying it for a while now, this dude NEEDS to be king, leading from the van like a true king should, and taking out hordes of defenders while he's there, first up the siege ladders, last off the battlements, and not a red witch in sight.

Cersei: The queen regent everyone loves to hate. I have to say, I was a bit unsure of Cersei in the first season, I felt they tried a little too hard to make her likable, and didn't just embrace her for the bitch she really is this episode was her highest point so far. The whole part with her in Maegor's Holdfast was amazing, her interactions with various people, mostly notably Sansa were all fantastic, plus she taught that punk Lancel a lesson , and just when I thought she couldn't get any better, that final scene on the throne with Tommen... wow.

I've got to say, even the two actress who usually REALLY annoy me were superb in this episode. Sansa is finally coming into her own, for the whole first season she is SUCH a spoiled brat. However I thought tonight she was fantastic I'm glad Sophie has had a chance to show off some range this season... I wish I could say things get better for her from now on... Then we have Shae, who tbh I still think could not be any more wrong for the part, but I have to say this season they have sanded off alot of her rough edges, and she's at least starting to act a bit more like Shae should (I'm wondering how much of that is because George Martin was writing the script)

There's is really nothing bad I have to say about this episode , it's HANDS DOWN my favourite episode of both seasons so far, it had everything, some very funny moments (mostly Bronn), some amazing action, a flaming river, and some amazing drama, all told this episode was a 10/10 for me and I can't WAIT for next week to see how the wrap up this season.

p.s. OMG Conscript 'Not Penny's Boat' gives me goosebumps every time! Frakkin LOVE that episode, that and crichton's 'today I wore a bomb in a field of flowers..' monologue in Farscape are my two favourite TV moments of all time
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    For the no spoilers thread I sure see loads and loads of blacked out text here

Im not sure what was up with that guy attacking Tyrion like that. Seemed to come out of the blue not sure if there was any real significance behind it they didnt say.
    You'll find out later what that was all about. Patience, grasshopper.
    Or you could always catch up on the books and know for yourself :P

I had forgotten how much I hate Joffrey since reading the books. I can't wait to see him die in the show, I hope they make it as brutal as the book did. And yeah, I was pretty happy with it happening, especially after the Red Wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Yeah, Ser Ilyn lampshading this was the reason he lost his tongue to begin with. Cersei also recalls that the people would cheer twice as loudly for Tywin than Aerys.
    Don't forget however that people cheered twice as loudly for Rhaegar than they did for Tywin. It can be summed up this way, people feared Aerys, people respected Tywin, people loved Rhaegar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was surprised Larry Williams couldn't tell what the turning point was for the Hound. Why now, of all times, he finally says "eff this."

Anyone else unclear on that? Is it only because I'm a reader? I thought they made it perfectly clear the fire was freaking him out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    I was surprised Larry Williams couldn't tell what the turning point was for the Hound. Why now, of all times, he finally says "eff this."

Anyone else unclear on that? Is it only because I'm a reader? I thought they made it perfectly clear the fire was freaking him out.
    I haven't read the books, but I understood it immediately. However, I watched season 1 twice, so I remember the scene where Littlefinger tells the story of the Hound and the Mountain pretty well. Maybe Larry didn't remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucinela View Post
    Tywin in actuality has more cons then pros regarding kingship . Whilst he is a great politician ( not a great diplomat mind you ) ,he would never succeed at being loved by westerosi , it's just not his thing , holding Dorne and the North at peace ,so he would have to rule by way of force , which means rebellion.All indications and facts in the book do not give him glory as a general , he is a mediocre one at best , he has lost all battles against a 16 year old inexperienced Robb , he would have lost Blackwater if it wasn't for Littlefinger and the Tyrell forces , as a matter of fact his only war success was Castemere , where he used excessive force and heavily outnumbered and outgeared his opponents having access to king's army.
    He also lacks the most important feature a great ruler must have , securing continuity , as he has made a mockery at raising and forging up his successors.
    He is pretty awesome at diplomacy as well tbh(if you've read the books, he makes some smart deals, the way he brings the south over on his side is what actually wins the blackwater battle), so he is very well rounded as a leader. He is a bit like the US(take no offense fellow american posters rofl) as he and his family got the financial muscles and military means to really make up the rules for how the game is played, add good dimplomacy and smart(and sometimes ruthless) leadership into the mix and you got a very strong family.

not to mention how he brings the boltons over to his side
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Stannis: I've been saying it for a while now, this dude NEEDS to be king, leading from the van like a true king should, and taking out hordes of defenders while he's there, first up the siege ladders, last off the battlements, and not a red witch in sight.
    So much this. I hope the writers take a note for future Stannis scenes; that is how you translate Stannis's blunt honesty ("thousands") and badass appeal to TV. It's a shame Davos got knocked out of the fight so early, but eh. Stannis was enough of a fighter for two.

Quote Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
    Don't forget however that people cheered twice as loudly for Rhaegar than they did for Tywin. It can be summed up this way, people feared Aerys, people respected Tywin, people loved Rhaegar.
    That's true. I'd feel most comfortable following Tywin though.

Seemed pretty clear to me.
    You see him unsettle when he's on the wall and the old guy passes the torch to Tyrion and the flame passes near him.
    You see him threaten to strangle the archer with his own guts if any fire arrows go near him.
    He's kickin' ass until the guy on fire runs at him, at which point he freezes. And then he's like, "fuck this" and casually walks back through the gate.

Plus, Joffrey is a douche. There's only so much of that prick anyone could put up off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Seemed pretty clear to me.
    You see him unsettle when he's on the wall and the old guy passes the torch to Tyrion and the flame passes near him.
    You see him threaten to strangle the archer with his own guts if any fire arrows go near him.
    He's kickin' ass until the guy on fire runs at him, at which point he freezes. And then he's like, "fuck this" and casually walks back through the gate.
    Aye same here, I was watching with a friend who hasn't read the series, and in the part where the flaming guy runs up and the hound walks off he actually said 'wow, dude doesn't like fire does he.' understatement of the season .

also the line 'Any man dies with a clean sword and I'll rape his fucking corpse' has to be the funniest, badassest, most messed up line in the history of TV;p
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

also the line 'Any man dies with a clean sword and I'll rape his fucking corpse' has to be the funniest, badassest, most messed up line in the history of TV;p
    Haha yeah. The Hound jumped half a dozen places on my "favourite characters" list in this episode.
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.

Deleted

Wait what, you're the Reader? ;D
    Then you might be able to tell me why you told your niece about that story about that one gathering that was declared null and void.
    Reek, rhymes with leek, but also with "That one guy you seek"... In Iron Island precedence he's the one who can denounce old One Eye if I'm not mistaken. That is, if the Bastard hasn't broken him too hard.

Having read the first three books, I'm not a giant fan of Stannis. Also, leading from the van like a true king should? HAH! Fantasy much? (Well, it is fantasy, but eh). No king would ever lead from the van in real life.

Also, Season 3 will first air next year, or what? Some people says it will air in September or so.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-05-29 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Having read the first three books, I'm not a giant fan of Stannis. Also, leading from the van like a true king should? HAH! Fantasy much? (Well, it is fantasy, but eh). No king would ever lead from the van in real life.
    Which is why Stannis is so awesome. He's just witnessed half his fleet blown to smithereens, he knows thousands will die in the assault, and he still leads the fight. I'd follow him over a whiney douche who runs to his mummy when the fighting starts any day.

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Which is why Stannis is so awesome. He's just witnessed half his fleet blown to smithereens, he knows thousands will die in the assault, and he still leads the fight. I'd follow him over a whiney douche who runs to his mummy when the fighting starts any day.
    I know, but I just wanted to point out that it's a move above risky.

Also, check this out: http://disruptorbeam.com/gota_announcement.html

A Facebook game that might not suck? *gasp*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    A Facebook game that might not suck? *gasp*
    I'll believe that when I see it. Until then my Facebook account will continue to be deactivated. Why can't they make a good Game of Thrones game that isn't a mediocre RTS, an RPG with an amazing story but some of the worst execution in a big title RPG in years (with graphics to match), or a Facebook app?