Thread: My first rig

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

My first rig

Hey everybody!

So this is my first build ever, and i would like YOUR opinions on my build, and eventually suggestions.
    - I allready did another post about a build, but as i've changed the whole thing (nearly) i'm posting here.

I dont have an actually budget but i'd like to keep it around ~1000-1100 euros (Without the case).

Case: Antec 1200, i've searched abit, but dident find anything usefull - does this make alot of noice? if yes/no on what fan settings? (Low, mid, high)

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Pro3

Gpu: Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX (No special edition)

Cpu: Intel Core i5 2500k (I'm overclocking yes)

Cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Ram: Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1333MHz 4GB 2x2GB

Psu: Corsair TX V2 650W PSU

HDD: Western Digital Caviar® Black 500GB or Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB

Also im buying a new LED screen, to fit my new resolutions.

Please tell me your thougths of this beast (:
    Last edited by mmoc100d0ca70e; 2011-03-23 at 05:21 PM.

This sounds like a wonderful build. It seems like you have done your homework as far as getting necessary parts without overdoing it.

In my opinion, the Corsair H50 isn't as good as it could be and if you aren't planning on overclocking your CPU past 3.5ghz, you would be better off using a heat sink/fan combo.

Also, in my opinion LCD screens are just as good as LED screens and much less expensive. I actually went from a Best Buy Insignia brand 22 inch LED to an LG Flatron 23inch LCD, and it was about $40 less than the LED, among other things.

As far as your video card choice, you've got it spot on. Contrary to the belief of many, SLI/Crossfire is not as reliably supported as you may think. Only some of the most graphical intensive games made ie: Crysis 1 & 2, Metro 2033, Battlefield 2 BC, COD Modern Warfare 2, FF14 support SLI/Crossfire. If you do more than just play WoW, then yes by all means, 2 x 5000 Series AMD cards or 2 x GTX 400 Series cards will probably work out fine, however it is not necessary by any means, so you shouldn't feel like you need it, unless you are absolutely sure.

I use a single GTX 460 and I haven't had any issues with power. I even have a Blu-Ray Drive on my system and watch movies with no issues in Full HD.

For Hard Drives, you will be fine with the WD, although if you can find one Samsung makes the Spinpoint F3 and can get 1TB for a very competitive price. As far as a Solid State drive, depending on what you do on your computer and how anal you are about speed, you can get an SSD but expect to pay at least $100usd for under 100GB of storage. I don't consider using one myself until the prices are more reasonable, and I use a WD Caviar Blue 320GB as my main drive, and I've had no issues in almost 2 years.

As for the case, I use an Antec 300 and I'm sure the 900 has adjustable fans also. They should be a 3 speed setting. I've found it quite noticeable on loudness levels about the low setting, but you could try it out for yourself and see what is bearable to you. I have mine on medium.

Anyway, I think you will be happy with it and not have to worry about upgrading for at least a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1 View Post
    Psu: Corsair TX 650W - Is it strong enough to run the computer stable? also if i'm going with a crossfire setup?
    Dual-card is called SLI with nVidia. Not that it matters much :P
    As for running GTX 570SLI with the TX650w, you're just sneaking in below 650w.

The whole system draws 624w. I'd actually nod you toward the HX-series (modular) and the 750w instead, so you have a slightly higher margin for overclocking, even though the system linked was an overclocked i7-975 (but only to 3.8GHz). (EDIT: As I now see that you were considering "Two lesser cards" to crossfire not two 570s, the TX650w will be very apt and ready for the challenge)

As for the HDD, I'd suggest you go WDC:black or Samsung Spinpoint F3 for a "main"-drive.

As for the Antec 1200, I'm unfamiliar with it, but from the quick reviews I glanced at, it says that "It's not the quietest of cases", but keeps it quite cool. I think their.. P192? is the quiet one. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've been awake for ages :|

I would change that Caviar blue to a caviar black to get more optimal performance, and its hardly a difference in price. Also maybe think about going with a 1TB for more space if you arent gonna be using more than one drive. Although I highly recommend getting at least 2 drives. I myself use three, SSD for boot and WoW / other games, and two 1TB WD black drives for storage and whatver else, like fraps.
    Custom signature requests: CLOSED | PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR REQUESTS!

Deleted
    No way i am going with 2x570, i thought about gtx480 (or something.)
    - aka, 2 cards around same price as 1, what would perform best?
    etc. gtx470x2 vs 1x gtx 570 ( i dont know if the prices are the same, but you got the idea)

The black HDD, is 1.5x more priced then blue, does it make a big difference?

I've got a external HDD at 1TB, for storage (:

---------- Post added 2011-03-20 at 12:41 AM ----------

Also, i'm not getting a SSD, to me it's a waste of time - i dont mind waiting for abit more time booting or w/e (:
    Last edited by mmoc100d0ca70e; 2011-03-19 at 11:35 PM.

well, if this is your very first build I'd stay away from SLI and CrossFire setups; the 570 is a pretty killer card and will probably give you more performance than you are likely to use in current generation games.

the only thing that really jumped out at me was the caviar blue HDD. the blue is a budget HDD with mediocre performance and it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the build. I was expecting to see at least a caviar black and possibly a SSD.

I don't think you'd have a problem with the 650w PSU, but it does strike me as being a little small, again just because of the rest of the system. You could probably do an Antec TP750 for about the same price.

other than those tiny little issues it looks like a really good set up
    Current System - Ultra Budget <$550 (Reused: 19" monitor, KB and mouse)
    Case: Xion Echo $50 PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D $50
    Win 7 OEM: $99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $45
    CPU/MB Combo: MSI 880GMA-E45 / Phenom II x3 720 2.8 (OC 3.5) $150
    GPU: MSI R5670 CYCLONE 1G Radeon HD 5670 $89
    Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 (pc10666) $45
    DVD Burner: Asus 24x $18
    - update: 2/16/11 added Hyper 212 CPU Cooler $30

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest opting for 2x4gb RAM sticks rather than 2x2gb. (If you can afford that difference, the more RAM the merrier!)

I have the Corsair 650 TX PSU and a Sandybridge setup, granted my video card is older, it's still all working very well and stable. (From what I can tell). Unless you opt to start slamming in tons of extra ridiculous crap, you should be fine. Like 2xGTX580s in SLI. lol

1x570 shouldn't hurt with the PSU, and 2 SLI lower-level cards should be fine too, after all, the 650TX is SLi and Crossfire ready.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I got a friend helping me with the setup, honestly i didnt want to do a SLI anyway - i just wanted to know what was the best bang for the bucket.

I'm changeing the HDD.

Aslong the 650watt psu can keep the system up, im not buying another one.

---------- Post added 2011-03-20 at 12:57 AM ----------

Considering the ram, i've learned that 4GB is enough, unless your running a server or something - right?(:

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a friend helping me with the setup, honestly i didnt want to do a SLI anyway - i just wanted to know what was the best bang for the bucket.

I'm changeing the HDD.

Aslong the 650watt psu can keep the system up, im not buying another one.

---------- Post added 2011-03-20 at 12:57 AM ----------

Considering the ram, i've learned that 4GB is enough, unless your running a server or something - right?(:
    Having extra RAM can't hurt. Gamers should probably start out with 6-8 gigs imho. Just to allow yourself more room. I know sometime here I'll probably buy another 8 gigs... because why not? :P Not too expensive and it will help me be ready for the future!
    "A flower.

2xgtx480 needs more power than 2xgtx570,

I don't know how many Amps you got on your 12v on that PSU however for 2x570 you'll probably be fine if you don't overclock the GPU's, for a sli of gtx480 650W isn't enough.

If I were you I'll buy 1 gtx560 ( an ed. with OC if you find a good deal with better cooling) and try it and then decide if you want to buy another one for SLI, or maybe wait a year and get the second one cheaper.

Deleted
    But 8GB aint needed?

10+ Year Old Account
    change the case to one of the cheaper HAF cases.
    change the mobo to a UD5
    change the PSU to a HX 750/850
    change the ram to 8gb corsair vengance

You say you dont need an ssd, but after I got mine, the difference was night and day. Loading times in all programs and games were 2 to 3 (sometimes even 4) times faster than my two velociraptors in raid 0.

Always get the single faster card rather than two weaker ones. As for the monitor a 24in 1920x1080 should suffice.

But 8GB aint needed?
    No, you can run all current games with 4GB RAM just fine, but on few of them at very high resolutions you might see some small speed gains if you have 6-8GB or more. Adding in more later is very easy. On the other hand RAM is very cheap right now, cheapest it has ever been, and the prices may rise again. it has happened before.

Also not quite sure how much the RAM you picked costs, but for i5-2500K you can easily use the cheapest 1333 or 1600 MHz RAM you can find for less than $50, or a $90 2x4GB kit. Buying any special OC kits will not give any significant benefit.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I'm not going with a HAF case, my friend(s) got those, and i dont want one similar.
    - And why exactly should i do that? arguments, facts please - else your just confuseing me (:

10+ Year Old Account
    8gb gives more headroom when multitasking, and games in the future will probably be able to use more memory. It also is only ~$40 more.

---------- Post added 2011-03-20 at 12:19 AM ----------

Where I am the HAF is ~$60 cheaper than the 1200, has (arguably) better cooling, and (slightly) better cable management options.

But really the case is more a personal preference if anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a HAF X case, the big boy of them all in that series. I am very happy, if you want great airflow, quietness, and a case that feels like it could be dropped down a staircase and be fine, it's this one. :P

Also the solid black interior looks so sexy.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Also the solid black interior looks so sexy.
    Too bad the exterior looks like a christmas tree. And that's the side you're looking more than interior :P
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    HAF X and the Antec 1200 is same price in my country (Denmark)
    - Also i've looked on the NZXT Phantom, but was told i got very easily greasy (Dont know if greasy is the right word, used google translate)

anyway, i dont like the HAF personal taste (:

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Too bad the exterior looks like a christmas tree. And that's the side you're looking more than interior :P
    +1. Very much agreed.

And the TX650 is more than enough for a single 570, and you're better off, performance/money with just a single card.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    so i guess i'm at the final setup for the build?
    Btw, is it overkill to use liquid cooling?