Thread: Resto troubles?

Resto troubles?

Hi all, i'm having some healing problems. I picked up a resto spec for this first time in cataclysm, following the guide on these forums for my spec and glyphs and decided to hop into a heroic. My "Resto" gear that I tried using is basically just my boomkin set (350 ilvl) reforged to spirit instead of hit (unless already on it ofc) but that isn't where my problem lies. My problem is simply that I can not seem to keep people alive in a heroic. I'm sitting at about 6k spell power but just couldn't keep the tank and everyone alive. Of course, my first time healing since WoTLK, the random H I got was Stonecore, on Ozruk. But even at 6k spell power, I just couldn't keep people alive. Keeping 3 stack lifebloom, rejuv, regrowth on tank, efflorence around melee, wild growth on CD. No matter what I did, I couldn't keep people alive. Now, this may have been the group, and it may have been me but I was just searching for some insight as to something I may be doing wrong or if it was them, not me.

Side note: Mana was not a problem, i was sitting at about 60-80k with the boss at about 30%

armory...
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../regenn/simple

and another thing: I've been healing in general (H paladin usually) since Ulduar, so i have a good feel for healing and such.

Deleted
    i do hope your not spamming regrowth, replace it for nourish and healing touch and you'll be fine

and i doubt your at 60%-80% mana in fights, as your spirit is SO SO low, if you are then your not casting enough spells, in HC i think its useful for natures cure, esp. on Ozruk as you have to dispell people, that wil lbe why people were dying.

Go look up the boss mechanics then delete this post, you can even learn basic mechanics for a dps spec as well!

Rocket science.

Did everyone on orzurk have a DoT on the boss including you?? or did u all just eat the 45k paralyze everytime? and if u didnt keep up the dot on the boss ur missing 6 secs og healing time everytime he paralyzes

Orzuk is hard unless everyone knows the mechanics. Try some different bosses, and TRy TO OOM. You say mana was not a problem - then you're doing it wrong. Especially since you don't have spectacular gear yet - mana should be a problem. Make it a problem :P

Try to go Out Of Mana. Once you hit that wall, work your way back. Regrowth is great, but only use on Omen Procs. Healing Touch is much better when you need big heals. Nature's Swiftness - you didn't take it, but it can help give you more heals when you need it. Also, if you really don't have mana problems, get rid of moonglow and put some points in genesis.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If people were dying to Ground Slam - not your problem, tank was not positioning the boss
    If melee were dying to Shatter - not your problem, melee need to run away when oh so obvious graphic/emote is shown
    If ranged were eating full duration paralyse:
    1) Make sure you don't dispell them - they should be casting a single DoT during Elementium Bulwark, this will get reflected to them and will then instantly break paralyse. They should not sit there unleashing their full DPS rotation during the Bulwark because the only person it's hurting is them (and your mana/throughput)

2) Are you making sure you're not eating the paralyse? Just make sure you cast a low dmg DoT on him during Bulwark

Hunters do have a problem - they have to run in to melee the boss to get the bleed from Elementium Spike Shield - you can let them off and dispell the paralyse instead. IIRC arcane mages have a slight problem as well so you may need to dispell them.

The difficulty of the fight is almost entirely down to whether the DPS understand the Bulwark and Spike Shield mechanics and whether the Tank can avoid insta-death from Ground Slam. Ozruk himself hits the tank like a wet noodle.
    This one girl...

Thanks all for the input. After much deliberation and several hours of meditation in front of my waterfall though, I've decided to give resto only one more chance to please me then it's back to my roots of bear tanking. that's where the real fun is, anyways.

Ozruk is a pain especially if the paralyze isn't being managed correctly. I wouldn't use failing on that fight as a way to judge if you like resto. Also, 1-2 heroic runs as any class spec isn't really enough to judge it by, eh?

Regardless, I wouldn't be using Regrowth much at all. In heroic dungeons I typically only use it when I have a OoC proc and someone needs bumped up. You didn't mention using Nourish or HT - use them.
    When I think about trees
    I hug myself

Even if you are eating a paralyze, its not hard to heal that fight. I did it with the bare minimum for heroic gear while getting paralyzed. LB bloom is enough to top the tank off if he is avoiding all other mechanics.

But like poster number 6 said, it might not be in your control on that fight.

As for druid healing you might want to think more like a paladin in wrath, but with hots. spam your direct heals when needed, but let your hots take care of the rest. I tend to hit ppl with direct heals if they get below 70%. other then that most people will not take further damage and your hots are enough to bring them to full or to keep them there.

Your spec seems fine, but if you would like an extra tank CD and some damage mit through dispelling you should take natures swiftness and natures cure. There is some magic damage that you can dispell that will just eat your mana pool if you try to heal through it.

You can make a macro for natures swiftness and healing touch, a simple one is:
    /cast Nature's Swiftness
    /cast Healing Touch

You might have to spam it, and there might be a better one out there for it, but it works.

Deleted
    Natures Swiftness is horrible imo, and almost certainly not the make/break issue in a heroic Stonecore run .

Tho I think you should have Nature Cure in your spec for 5 mans it certainly helps free up those ppl that don't understand elementium bulwark for example (and the last boss in VP, as jumping is too complicated for most).

PuG runs are really not a good place to evaluate your gear / spec / performance, or rather a sample of 1 heroic certainly isn't. Every healer has "one of those" runs with either a really bad tank, or really bad / low dps or god forbid both.