Thread: hit cap

hit cap

so wahts the ideal hit amount, i was told being hit capped is bad so is like a 3-4% miss chance ok

being hit capped isn't bad.... its just that intellect is better. so gem int, reforge for hit is the general rule of thumb. for warlocks this might be different but i'd doubt it
    Devils used to be gods, angels that fell from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by M_10
    I once said "brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]." That group was probably confused.

I believe it's

Int>haste if destro and hitting a new tick for immolate>hit>haste>crit>mastery

for all three specs...not sure about demo though.

and hit means getting close....if you are at like 16.99% hit, that's better than 17.40% ...16.99% means you'll miss 1 out of every 10,000 spells

No need to worry about hit at all though if you are a feral druid
    Just depends though on your class and such casters will always need 17% for raid and 8% melee

I dunno about 3-4%...I would do about 7-8%...I mean, it's only 4% less

The ideal amount of spell hit is 17% - Reforge and gear for it, dont gem or enchant for it if you can get int.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Int>Hit>Haste>Flavor Stat. (Crit/Mastery)

Intellect is currently the strongest stat, because of the pure SP and mana from it.
    Hit, because missing equals 0 dps.
    Haste, because we want 'em ticks.

As long as you have the Hit cap capped, reforge the overflow into Haste or into the Flavor stat of your spec.

EJ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningStick View Post
    The ideal amount of spell hit is 17%
    I see this written a lot. It's not true.

The MAX amount of spell hit you should have is 17%.

I am running on 15.39%, have been for ages, and it produces much better DPS results. Sure I miss a shadowbolt or two now and then. Meh, doesn't hurt much.
    Yes I have logs :
    Ranked 161 on chimaeron heroic : (30 spots higher a few days ago )
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...?s=7522&e=7935

And because Chimaeron is inexploitable, here's a nef kill the same night, ranked 36 :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...=10218&e=10729

So yeah , if you are on interrupt duty, then yes you definitly need 17%. But otherwise, reforging all that haste to hit on your trinket (this is an example ffs!) is a big loss. Bigger than just not being capped

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Hit reduces the chance of your spells missing; therefore, the ideal hit rating is enough to reduce your miss chance to 0% against bosses. This is a fact.

However, misses are extremely rare when you have over 15% to the point where even the best-in-slot gear setups from theorycrafters don't always have the hit cap.

The ideal is, and always will be, whatever reduces your miss chance to 0%. That doesn't mean you need the ideal.
    Well, your wording suggests the opposite of what you are trying to convey (which is the same as me) :

Your goal is to do more dps, right ?
    Therefore the 'ideal situation' is the one where you do the most dps, right?
    And therefore, hitcapping is not 'ideal' because x% of the time it doesn't not produce performance as good as 15% hit rating.

Soooo around 15% is ideal.
    17% is .... let me find the term.... I can't coin the term . It's just too much

10+ Year Old Account
    For PVP you want 6%.

For Raiding you want 17%.
    Rando: "shut up casby. you're dumb."
    Buddy: "casby is all, therefore you are casby, and casby is you, and you're arguing with yourself... and that is very un-casby."
    Me: "What?"
    Buddy: "shush, casby. i'm trying to defend you here." Cons***** leaves the group. "See. I embarrassed him."

Raid gear has LOADS of hit, and pre raid ull be more then fine in 5 mans.
    Having the Tol barad trinket helps alot. Together with 4pc T11 and the crit/hit BOE wrist ur pretty much fine with hit.
    Mastery is a crap stat unless u are demo, so when youre not demo change all mastery to hit till cap.
    When demo aim to get a good mix of crit and mastery to hit till 17%. Nothing more annoying as a immolate missing the target while u allready casted ur incin. or if you are for whatever reason spammin conflag after immo and seeing your immo miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    Well, your wording suggests the opposite of what you are trying to convey (which is the same as me) :

Your goal is to do more dps, right ?
    Therefore the 'ideal situation' is the one where you do the most dps, right?
    And therefore, hitcapping is not 'ideal' because x% of the time it doesn't not produce performance as good as 15% hit rating.

Soooo around 15% is ideal.
    17% is .... let me find the term.... I can't coin the term . It's just too much
    When you're at 15%+ hit then you're going to miss infrequently, but it doesnt mean hit is devalued. You can get lucky on a fight and have no misses at all, sure, but just as likely is getting unlucky. Maybe its not so huge for demo, a spec basically made up entirely of filler spells, but as affliction missing a haunt is massive, while missing a conflag or two as destro is ridiculous. Math is math, hit is the best secondary stat unless you're getting to another haste threshold, regardless of your anecdotal evidence.

Chimaeron logs aren't really useful when discussing the impact of not being hitcapped, due to the debuff.

Deleted
    I had 16,50% hit and during argaloth fight on 10 man I had overall 5 misses, 2 on conflag which is far from being acceptable.
    You can say unlucky, but remember it can happen to you also so mind that.
    Last edited by mmoc933340a8cd; 2011-03-23 at 08:14 PM.

Deleted
    you're right. we should focus on getting 17% that way we are consistently lower damage dealers, but at least we don't miss...

That x% i talk about in an earlier post.... I put x because i don't want to do the maths. I can roughly, but confidently say though that in 80+% of cases, i do more dps with 15% hit than with 17%.... because real raids isn't simcraft. Simcraft tells you to stop getting haste items when you reach a plateau. Theory is good, but if you have to move 'at any point during the fight', then haste is back up in stat weights because you can output more fillers. Simcraft cannot accuratly sim a fight. If it did, there would be no more skill in this game as you would have a fight long action priority list, and an addon to go with it.

Heck i don't even know why I am discussing this, Gherkin did the maths ages ago... It's something top raiders do .... Do even know why you are debating this.

Deleted
    the intellect increase on every single spell coming out of your character > the last couple of % of hit.
    This is it. the core of it.

The fact you think it's a design flaw is really interesting, and cool, and we thank you for your opinion and all, but really, since the ideal scenario where you have 17% hit and do as much damage as with 15% hit is very rare, i don't know what you are fighting for.

Regarding your Chuck Norris statement "I only aim for 100%. Nothing less". Cool. Good for you. But what i'm saying (using 80% as an example) is that you will only do more damage with 17%hit in 20% of cases. (again, 20% is random number, but roughly correct)
    Of course, as you say, I don't know if i'll miss once during this fight, or 100 times. What I am saying is that 80% of the time, I don't miss enough to warrant replacing 200 intellect with 160 hit rating. And this makes my char perform better 80% of the time. Your char @ 17%hit performs better than mine in 20% of cases.

EDIT : However, I agree with Nilar that this is spec dependant. When I go affli, I do go the full way with hit rating, because missing a haunt or a SE refresh is just devastating. Should have maybe said that before we embarked on this crusade.
    And PvP, well i'm not sure at all whether you can afford to miss hit there. I don't do enough to have a valid point of view.
    Last edited by mmoc8ee790e781; 2011-03-24 at 03:37 PM.