Welcome to video games I guess. Video games ≠ reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    OK, so in other words, this game will fall back on the same stupid mechanic other games do, mobs who don't obey the rules and break reality. See, this is much easier to forgive in a fantasy setting but in one like star wars, one trooper is the same as another. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it. A light saber blow not deflected should be the same regardless of what you hit. If suddenly mob X can take three of them it makes me believe that ACME supplies player light sabers and blasters.
    Wasn't this discussed a few hundred pages ago? You won't be cutting through shit in a single swing, period.

Deleted
    Check out this http://justswtor.blogspot.com/2011/0...-spoilers.html
    awesome videos about sith inquisitor gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piree View Post
    Maybe learn to play a game without all the addons doing the work for you?
    Yes, it will be harder to heal now, which requires some faster reaction of the player itself instead of the addon. So I see the healers without fast reactions not playing healer on swtor.

Being a good healer in WoW is just to know how to work with addons. The better addon you got, the better healer you are. Which is in my point fucking stupid. I agree that addons can help you with some stuff, but you don't have to automate the game and show up on a small bar who needs healing.
    Is SWTOR not going to show health bars or something? Will it give you a riddle to solve to figure out who needs healing? No it wont so it will still be the healer looking at health bars and reacting to them dropping. The addons don't play your class for you but rather display information in a more efficient way while removing the need to actually target the player so you save time and have your target bar free.

I tried to play games with no macros and addons and most times it shows that the game's UI wasn't designed with healed in mind. When there is no way to see what specific buff is on a person and the time left without seeing the other 30 buffs they have up it is just annoying to monitor your HoTs and short duration buffs. When you cant tell what debuff needs to be dispelled because there are 4-5 junk debuffs on the guy hiding the one debuff that shows the person is stunned you cant even be expected to dispel stuns unless they're calling it out on vent/etc.

I also like to have my target bar free so I can easily have a boss or an add targeted to observe what is going on with them and maybe throw some attacks in my spare time. If I have to target people to cast I cant really spare time to also click on the specific mob I wanted to target after every heals.

People need to stop thinking that addons do all of these unfair things and realize that they are just there to make up for the lacking UI.

OK, so in other words, this game will fall back on the same stupid mechanic other games do, mobs who don't obey the rules and break reality. See, this is much easier to forgive in a fantasy setting but in one like star wars, one trooper is the same as another. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it. A light saber blow not deflected should be the same regardless of what you hit. If suddenly mob X can take three of them it makes me believe that ACME supplies player light sabers and blasters.
    Yeah who would of thought that a videogame wouldn't be realistic huh? How dumb would an MMO be if you could just run around killing everything with one blaster shot?

I really hope this game is going to be good, but videos.... idk it looks stupid, maybe just because i'm used to wow... we'll see... anyway, let's hope it's good, just for the sake of being able to choose what good mmo to play... not so many choices nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by The Great and Powerful View Post
    To be fair, blasters never killed anything anyway.
    With the movies as reference, any damage a blaster could do is defeated by the fact that they're impossible to aim with.
    Rofl. True.

Quote Originally Posted by Piree View Post
    Check out this http://justswtor.blogspot.com/2011/0...-spoilers.html
    awesome videos about sith inquisitor gameplay
    Stop advertising mate, thats second time you've posted about it in one page.

Stood in the Fire RockyMountainJedi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part I am very happy with TOR, but the basic mechanic of combat seems kind of awkward. In SWG you had a reticle and if you wanted to attack something you turned toward it or ran toward it and a simple right click targeted and initiated combat, then you could use your left hand on the hot keys. Having that big arrow on the screen that you constantly have to click on targets and your toon automatically moves towards it seems very odd to me, plus I find the arrow very distracting. The animation and UI are fantastic but the targeting in combat and moving from target to target does not look fluid. Am I missing something, was KOTOR like this I don't remember?

guys i just pre ordered the digital version and got the e-mail with the billing and stuff but i cant find the stuff for the pre-code in it (serial number on it) can any1 help this litle newbie out?
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainJedi View Post
    For the most part I am very happy with TOR, but the basic mechanic of combat seems kind of awkward. In SWG you had a reticle and if you wanted to attack something you turned toward it or ran toward it and a simple right click targeted and initiated combat, then you could use your left hand on the hot keys. Having that big arrow on the screen that you constantly have to click on targets and your toon automatically moves towards it seems very odd to me, plus I find the arrow very distracting. The animation and UI are fantastic but the targeting in combat and moving from target to target does not look fluid. Am I missing something, was KOTOR like this I don't remember?
    That is how it works in basically every non-SWG MMO. I'm sure you can manually run to a target and right click if you prefer. There might even be a option to turn off the auto run to target like WoW had by disabling click to move. And ya KOTOR was exactly like that.

---------- Post added 2011-07-26 at 07:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    guys i just pre ordered the digital version and got the e-mail with the billing and stuff but i cant find the stuff for the pre-code in it (serial number on it) can any1 help this litle newbie out?
    The second email you should get called "Order Confirmation" should have a line towards the bottom called "Digital Rights". This is the code you put into your account on swtor.com. After checking mine, ya that is where it is. There should be directions at the very bottom of that email also.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-07-26 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    It should be under the billing information, e.g

Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-OrderDigital Rights:
    0000-0000-0000-0000-0000

(The 0's should be your code, but not 0's :P changed it just incase :P)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just how a huge big axe that is wielded by a tauren, (or a charr, if you're into GW2), should kill a gnome (or a asura) in one hit, right?
    Or anything else that does not have a huge and magical armor on its head.
    That's much more forgivable in fantasy and totally makes more sense.

If there are no add-ons, and healing requires you to click on a target, then push your heal button... I will not buy it. I love playing healers, and in WOW with all the add-ons and flexibility to set things up to my liking, it's a joy to heal. So yeah, I'm sure the clickers will enjoy SWTOR if that's how it will be, but I'll hold off on buying for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    If there are no add-ons, and healing requires you to click on a target, then push your heal button... I will not buy it. I love playing healers, and in WOW with all the add-ons and flexibility to set things up to my liking, it's a joy to heal. So yeah, I'm sure the clickers will enjoy SWTOR if that's how it will be, but I'll hold off on buying for now.
    Personally, whenever I can be bothered to go healing, I love clicking. It feels so weird to me no to have to click on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I'm sure there will be addons later on. WoW didn't have 10,000 addons for it on release date either. Gotta give people time to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofii View Post
    Personally, whenever I can be bothered to go healing, I love clicking. It feels so weird to me no to have to click on something.
    That's cool. And you should of course have the option to use clicking as your preferred style. But I could never go back to playing that way. I've tried it, I absolutely despise it and could never play a game that forced me into clicking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great and Powerful View Post
    Far too easy. When I heal, I never use any unnecessary addons that makes things easier.
    Minimum artificial assistance is best!
    Do you also use no keybinds and click to move? After all they're just unnecessary hotkeys and movement controls that make things easier right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MortalWombat View Post
    Do you also use no keybinds and click to move? After all they're just unnecessary hotkeys and movement controls that make things easier right?
    I don't use a keyboard or mouse, I just hope that stuff happens the right way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainJedi View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from. There may be an option to auto-run at mobs, but it isn't default. It plays (in that regard) just like WoW. Tab target or click target. But you have to move yourself to position.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net