10+ Year Old Account
    Georg on that strange french interview:

No Stat Customization? BW, are you crazy?
    I can't comment on this since I don't understand the language the original thread is in and I'm not comfortable with commenting on an automatic english translation of a french interview with an american developer.

Clearly, based on the reactions I'm reading in this thread, something terrible must have happened. Let's all panic and run to the door!

Alternatively, once I manage to find Daniel, which may take a few days since it's weekend and he might also be in NY, I'll try to clarify and understand what this is about. If you manage to find Daniel before me, maybe he'll clarify for you.

Short: Georg thinks in all likelyhood this is a typical storm in a teacup. Those are cool, but not entirely productive.
    Originally Posted by brillobreaks
    The dev's commenting system is broken. They often comment and the comment doesn't show up publicly for days. That said, he's wrong. There is no tempest in a teacup, we know the modification system was changed and the article is not mistranslated.

Wait, you mean what I see in front of me on the most current authoritative game build in the office is not what it seems to be?

Think what you see outside the office this the most current Modification System? Nope.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted
    Upon release I will play the Sith Assassin, pink double-bladed lightsaber > all!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Wait, you mean what I see in front of me on the most current authoritative game build in the office is not what it seems to be?

Think what you see outside the office this the most current Modification System? Nope.
    Hmm, so that's a possible (good) outcome to this little dilemma, it could be they where just trying it out, and when the whole beta nerdsploded they've reverted it or something, and will (hopefully) be bringing back to good old system, or some interesting (hopefully superior) hybrid of the two
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It will be interesting to see what they say further on the whole mod system. I will say though that I personally don't care for it one way or the other, out of all the things that make me interested for the game this feature was so low on the list of things I like to the point of not barely even being on the radar. I won't complain if there is more visual customization of character gear in the game, but at the same time I can't say I would really miss it if it wasn't there.

10+ Year Old Account

No Stat Customization? BW, are you crazy?

Originally Posted by brillobreaks
    The dev's commenting system is broken. They often comment and the comment doesn't show up publicly for days. That said, he's wrong. There is no tempest in a teacup, we know the modification system was changed and the article is not mistranslated.
    which interview was this one? have a link?

Edit: Nvm found it
    Last edited by Omians; 2011-10-10 at 07:47 PM.
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Deleted
    <Snip for NDA breaking>

Sorry, but rules be rules.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-10 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they say further on the whole mod system. I will say though that I personally don't care for it one way or the other, out of all the things that make me interested for the game this feature was so low on the list of things I like to the point of not barely even being on the radar. I won't complain if there is more visual customization of character gear in the game, but at the same time I can't say I would really miss it if it wasn't there.
    i didnt even know anything about stat modding so it not being in there or how EVER there doing it doesnt really effect me i guess

Deleted
    Oh yeah, I'm in beta D:

Quote Originally Posted by Xanelion View Post
    Upon release I will play the Sith Assassin, pink double-bladed lightsaber > all!

No! 1purple lightsaber & 1pink for my sith warr marauder > all!

10+ Year Old Account
    More on the mod thing from Allison:

It’s clear many of you are very interested in the Item Modification system (and understandably so!) and the various changes it has undergone. However, we’d like to remind you that it’s very difficult to get a good impression of an article’s meaning via Google translate – subtlety and context are often easily lost by automatic translations. Translating in general can be very difficult and can lead to confusion or misinterpretations.

It’s very important to keep in mind that we actually use our Game Testing Program to test the game. This means that sometimes we make radical changes to systems in order to gather the feedback we need. This testing allows us to find what works the best and is most fun for players. The Item Modification system is a system that has required some changes and testing as we feel out what players enjoy the most. In one build, items that can be modified may be rare. In another, they may be ubiquitous. Through testing, we’ll try several implementations, gather feedback, and make changes accordingly.

When Daniel spoke about Item Modifications, it is likely that what he spoke about reflected the implementation that was currently in testing – not necessarily the final intended state of the system (and we say “likely” because after talking with Daniel, he doesn’t have an exact recollection of what he said; he does do a LOT of interviews!). We haven’t delved deeply into discussing Item Modifications officially, and one reason for that is exactly what you’re seeing here: talking about things while they’re still in testing (and thus in flux) can be confusing to the community, so we do avoid it when we can while still trying to share information about the game.

We know you’re all interested in the specifics of how the system works, but please do keep in mind that quite a few things in the game are still subject to change as we continue with the test. Don’t panic! Though we’re close to launch, we aren’t done testing!

10+ Year Old Account
    More on the mod thing from Allison:
    so there wasnt really a change or was there? im confusing myself with a lack of sleep

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    so there wasnt really a change or was there? im confusing myself with a lack of sleep
    Sounds like there was a change to test things.

As someone not in beta and not really informed on this "scandal": I think Bioware kind of ran into the problem WoW had with gems in TBC. WoW had some really cool metagems that everyone liked, but no one was able to use the cool helms with metagems (and the tier helms almost always had them!) because helms with 3 gems slots were almost always better just because of how good gem slots were. In previous iterations of item modification, items would only be as good as their sheer number of modifications, and that's just not very interesting IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm sounds like it, at least its some interesting kinda news for my B-day today

Deleted
    I Read that as they were testing whether only some items were moddable and some werent. in the sense that 'green'/uncommon items wouldnt be moddable but 'blue'/rare and above items would be?

Thats just how i read it.

Deleted
    woah, 600k preorders in US only! We can safely assum that we are up on the 1m mark with US/EU togheter and the digital download preorders that are not included in the vgc charts!

This week swtor had 60k new preorders us only so if we mulitply that number with the current weeks that are left until release (if the number 60k per week stays the same) we have 1m+ preoders in US ONLY. So im betting we will have 2m players US/EU togheter on release

I better hope Bioware/EA are ready for this and that they do not fail with the servers. Don't wanna se a Failhammer launch again, I want it to be as smooth as the cataclysm launch was, I had 1h downtime before i could start playing nonstop without any problems

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

Stood in the Fire RockyMountainJedi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as pre-orders go, 11 weeks is a long time until launch. I am looking forward to seeing the commercials that Bioware will run between Thankgiving and Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post
    woah, 600k preorders in US only! We can safely assum that we are up on the 1m mark with US/EU togheter and the digital download preorders that are not included in the vgc charts!

This week swtor had 60k new preorders us only so if we mulitply that number with the current weeks that are left until release (if the number 60k per week stays the same) we have 1m+ preoders in US ONLY. So im betting we will have 2m players US/EU togheter on release

I better hope Bioware/EA are ready for this and that they do not fail with the servers. Don't wanna se a Failhammer launch again, I want it to be as smooth as the cataclysm launch was, I had 1h downtime before i could start playing nonstop without any problems

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php
    I think it'd be safe to say we're well above the 1.5mil mark by now, and we'll be close to 2.5mil if not above by the time it releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a pretty good way to test tbh, set up a system, change system, measure the shear level of nerdrage on the richter scale, if it breaks 5.0 swap the systems back and llaapp up the praise
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm in beta D:
    oh the irony after all the complaining you did.

maybe I should complain a lot.

the wait is still killing me.