Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Balance damage curve

Hello

Last night I did 21k dps in Baradin Hold 10 man, but after the fight I couldn't help to think I Should be pushing out more. So I looked at several other balance druids damage curve and compared it to mine. And with those doing more damage then me there is one big difference - my curve looks is spiky, while other, better druids I assume, is alot smoother.

My character:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iciouss/simple

My WoL:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-n1...ne/?s=18&e=221

Other druids:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/wpuzd...e=272#%C3%82ve
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/t2fr0...&e=12677#Strix
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/1ome7...6&e=133#Googas

About my rotation, well there aint much to say.
    I start in Lunar Eclipse to buff starfall, I refresh my dots as they're running out unless Im just about to go in to some eclipse and in Eclipse I refresh Insect Swarm first for Nature's Grace.

I got three trinkets to choose from.
    Theralion's Mirror
    Darkmoon Card: Volcano
    Heart of Ignacious

Cheers

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Noticed that you are making an error w/your reforging. You added hit instead of adding spirit. Swapping those reforges to spir would give you the same exact amount of hit rating plus additional regen from the spir that plain hit wont provide. Rest of your reforges look fine tho.

The reason Im going for hit instead of spirit is due to the treants being affected by hit and not spirit. Saying that I need to explain why Im not fully reforged from spirit to hit, and the simple reason is that I from time to time go resto. Mana isn't an issue as balance anymore, and the only reason Im keeping my 3/3 Furor is so that I can toss a stronger innervate on the healers.
    Last edited by Schwett; 2011-03-25 at 10:09 AM.

Looking at your equip, 21k seems pretty solid. There is some room for improvements: according to armory, your head item is not enchanted. Also, you are 120 points short of the most important haste breakpoint, while having 40 odds excess hit.
    Looking at the WoL, your DoT uptime seems pretty low, especially MF+SF is only about 80%. Spiky damage is normal (to a degree), we simply do a lot more dps when in Eclipse. Your spikes are indeed pretty high, I have no idea why. What did you do in the fire phases? I don't see a lot MF/SF, did you just nuke normally? Remember you can squeeze in Lunar Shower MF/SF between nukes if you need to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Minaah View Post
    Noticed that you are making an error w/your reforging. You added hit instead of adding spirit. Swapping those reforges to spir would give you the same exact amount of hit rating plus additional regen from the spir that plain hit wont provide. Rest of your reforges look fine tho.
    Completely bullshit, the exact opposite is true. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalur View Post
    Looking at your equip, 21k seems pretty solid. There is some room for improvements: according to armory, your head item is not enchanted. Also, you are 120 points short of the most important haste breakpoint, while having 40 odds excess hit.
    Looking at the WoL, your DoT uptime seems pretty low, especially MF+SF is only about 80%. Spiky damage is normal (to a degree), we simply do a lot more dps when in Eclipse. Your spikes are indeed pretty high, I have no idea why. What did you do in the fire phases? I don't see a lot MF/SF, did you just nuke normally? Remember you can squeeze in Lunar Shower MF/SF between nukes if you need to move.
    You're correct, and I can't really believe that I missed something so basic, in lack of other words, then the haste cap and that head enchant.
    The reason for the lack of haste is that I decided to try Theralion's Mirror instead of Darkmoon Card: Volcano, with mastery reforged to haste, putting me at 1936 haste rating, just over that breakpoint. The head enchant I have no excuse for, other then it's a new item. Thanks!

Secondly, I understand that we have high damage during eclipse, and if we didn't go lower when we're not we would have alot more then a nerf Bat coming out way. But I still do think that I somewhat fail as you can see my dps dropping under 10k at two points during the fight, and Im at 10k another three times. Maybe that is becuase of my 80% dot up-time which of course isn't good and that I actually didn't notice.

So, some down time I will have as Im not refreshing when Im <2 wraths or <1-1.5 starfires away from eclipse, I haven't tested it, but Im pretty sure that would be a dps loss, though I might be wrong in which case Im sure someone will correct me

Another thing I know Im failing at is paying enough attention to when Im heading in to lunar eclipse. What I do now is keep casting wrath until that final wrath hits putting me in lunar. Instead Im gonna pay attention and when Im finished casting the wrath Ill start casting a starfire.
    This should be a bigger dps gain then what one might think as it might make me able to go in to the solar eclipse without the need of refreshing the dots.

Are these assumptions correct, if not - why?
    What else can I do?

Your gonna be peaking and dropping between eclipse's and dot refreshs, the reason the other druids dont peak as much is simple, the fights are shorter (thats also one of the reasons their DPS is higher), don't worry about it. Refreshing dots before eclipse, since you don't have 4pc tier, is perfectly fine and should be done, as long as you get those dots off before you exit that eclipse theres no reason to delay them. Just wait until you get 4pc tier before you start worrying about DPS, it's a huge increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Your gonna be peaking and dropping between eclipse's and dot refreshs, the reason the other druids dont peak as much is simple, the fights are shorter (thats also one of the reasons their DPS is higher), don't worry about it. Refreshing dots before eclipse, since you don't have 4pc tier, is perfectly fine and should be done, as long as you get those dots off before you exit that eclipse theres no reason to delay them. Just wait until you get 4pc tier before you start worrying about DPS, it's a huge increase.
    Yeah, peaks and drops Im fine with, and yeah their fights are shorter and therefor the dont drop as much near the end of the fight. What bothers me is that my drops are as low as 8k, while they stay well above 12-13k during their drops.
    With the dot refreshing, you do have a point, the 15% haste from Nature's Grace is just as good even if I cast it at the start of an eclipse as it is if I refresh in the end of an eclipse period. I will try that aswell

Deleted
    I don't see any problems with your enchants, glyphs or gemming, but I would switch around some of your talent points - not that it would increase your DPS at all really but Moonglow and Fungal Growth are really quite useless. Also if you have that Volcano card it would be a good idea to use that instead of your Heart of Ignacious.

Deleted
    The reason why people get hit over spirit is because affect treants. Not sure if this is still accepted as a general fact though.

And besides moonkins don't even get regen from spirit during combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    I don't see any problems with your enchants, glyphs or gemming, but I would switch around some of your talent points - not that it would increase your DPS at all really but Moonglow and Fungal Growth are really quite useless. Also if you have that Volcano card it would be a good idea to use that instead of your Heart of Ignacious.
    Sure they can seem abit useless, especially moonglow. Fungal Growth was picked for utility reasons, Cho'galls Fester Blood with shrooms, slow and knockback is kicking some serious blob's ass.
    Moonglow, well, yes it is quite useless, but I thought I'd keep it for those moments where I've died so I've gone down in mana, or just keeping it for securing the healers innervate even more... I guess I could pick up 2 points in Gale Winds for Maloriak, Cho'gall and Magmaw (if we're doing the achievement there)

Deleted

not another one...

Now im 110% certain of the fact that hit is better than spirit. It helps your treants get to their 8%.

And i think also saw in another thread somewhere that spirit doesnt help regen during combat...so just no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwett View Post
    Sure they can seem abit useless, especially moonglow. Fungal Growth was picked for utility reasons, Cho'galls Fester Blood with shrooms, slow and knockback is kicking some serious blob's ass.
    Moonglow, well, yes it is quite useless, but I thought I'd keep it for those moments where I've died so I've gone down in mana, or just keeping it for securing the healers innervate even more... I guess I could pick up 2 points in Gale Winds for Maloriak, Cho'gall and Magmaw (if we're doing the achievement there)
    Well I usually have time to blow up my precasted shrooms once and then I'll usually follow up with glyphed Hurricane on Cho'gall HC, you might get some use out of that Fungal Growth in 10man though when you don't have a hunter in the raid for trap. Also, I would rather put some points into Perseverance in the resto tree (from Moonglow and also Furor when you get a bit better gear)if you are not using Hurricane/Typhoon at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Well I usually have time to blow up my precasted shrooms once and then I'll usually follow up with glyphed Hurricane on Cho'gall HC, you might get some use out of that Fungal Growth in 10man though when you don't have a hunter in the raid for trap. Also, I would rather put some points into Perseverance in the resto tree (from Moonglow and also Furor when you get a bit better gear)if you are not using Hurricane/Typhoon at all.
    Yeah, I agree with that.

When did everyone change their mind about Theralion's Mirror? Am I misstaking or was that trinket regarded as worthless more or less just like a month ago?

Regarding the whole hit versus spirit debate that seems to be going on, theres a really simple rule that I go by.. as a boomkin you don't need the mana regen from spirit, at all, ever, you never go oom unless your doing some wierd aoe with hurricane and not changing eclipse.

So basically, IF the item your using will also be used for Resto (which is quite possible), then reforge spirit if you need the hit for boomkin, otherwise, reforge hit. Simplez.

---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schwett View Post
    Yeah, I agree with that.

When did everyone change their mind about Theralion's Mirror? Am I misstaking or was that trinket regarded as worthless more or less just like a month ago?
    Mastery got buffed.

Couple of things -- Spirit doesn't give regen to Booms. On the other hand, we're now nearly certain Hit does NOT matter to Treants either. For all intents and purposes, consider Hit and Spirit identical while in Boomkin spec. You may want to have Spirit if some of the gear does double-duty Resto work.

As to Argaloth, extending your eclipse during the movement phase and spamming Lunar Shower / Eclipse amped Sunfire or Moonfire helps keep your damage up. Dot uptime on Argaloth should be 98+% on Insect Swarm and Moonfire/Sunfire. Here's my last log running Argaloth (little over a month ago now but still a ranked parse):

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ne/?s=89&e=328

In terms of gear, a quick look shows me you are still a good bit over the hit cap (17.42%) and could likely reforge some points to throughput. Mastery would be a good spot as you are just shy of a break point there at 12.98 rating. Check my guide for more stat, spec, and rotation optimization.
    Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide
    Calculatéd Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lated/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Calculated View Post
    Mastery would be a good spot as you are just shy of a break point there at 12.98 rating. Check my guide for more stat, spec, and rotation optimization.
    There is no break-point for mastery. Any gains, no matter how small, will increase your DPS.

"Similar to expertise, mastery is also not truncated and each point of mastery rating will increase your chance to proc MG." - Thats from a rogue on EJ apparently (they did some testing, its the same for all classes), was posted on my guild forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    There is no break-point for mastery. Any gains, no matter how small, will increase your DPS.

"Similar to expertise, mastery is also not truncated and each point of mastery rating will increase your chance to proc MG." - Thats from a rogue on EJ apparently (they did some testing, its the same for all classes), was posted on my guild forums.

Whether there are or aren't Mastery break points for other classes/specs notwithstanding, there are absolutely and conclusively Mastery break points for Balance spec.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...y-break-points
    Last edited by Calculated; 2011-03-25 at 04:07 PM.
    Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide

Why would blizzard make mastery scale for every class except balance :<?

Just tried it myself and yeah.. kinda lame that blizzard didn't think about this .
    Last edited by Mudkiper; 2011-03-25 at 04:30 PM.

I don't know conclusively that it does scale linearly for every class/spec other than Balance. I haven't done testing on them. I just know for Balance it absolutely has break points.

Deleted
    hey, i am a balance druid in like 346 ilvl got 1 epic and one 333 so almsot full hc gear but i am only doing around 8-10k on dummy idk why! my rot is fine. plzz help me!