The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Improve my UI please

I know it's not exactly a bad UI, but it's a work in progress and I want some feedback. Eventually I might make a release version of this UI.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19631605/Add...20OOC%20v2.png

Move buttons/nameplates down slightly for more visibility in center area? Otherwise looks nice.

Throttle your (I'm assuming) Mikscrolling to show damage that's, like, 9k damage or higher. The random spams of 3k will not only make you lag a smidge more, but is not useful in the slightest. No one cares about what your autoshots hit for . Also, as a previous poster said, move everything in the center (action bars etc) down to the bottom of your screen. Easier to see fire this way. Also, why are your aspects all the way up at the top left? Since they look key/mouse bound, they do not need to be shown, or if you like them shown, move them to just above your chat box, so you don't randomly have to look up to change your aspect.
    As a personal preference, I hate my damage meters being so wide. Yes, people have long names, but not that long. You could clear up a lot more space by cutting the width in half. Same with the box above it. My chat boxes are pretty tiny with smaller text, so I can fit more along the base of my screen. Nothing is higher than the bottom 1/4 of my screen except my raid frames (I'm a healer), map, and my logout/characterscreen/bag buttons. I never have to look away from the center of my screen so I can see anything that I need to move out of.
    Other than that, everything looks nice.

TL;DR Scale things down, move things to bottom of screen, throttle your scrolling battle text.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    @ The buttons in the middle, They actually give me a more central awareness as I am never looking away from my character (to look for cooldowns etc.). But the chat frames, omen, recount, msbt I have taken into account have this now.

Also, lag isn't an issue, I fraps in raids no problems, and plus I'm upgrading my graphics card, well, today.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19631605/Add...20OOC%20v3.png

Get something like ErrorFilter to gag the red messages in the middle "Spell is not ready".

Also, if you want to have things line up a bit better like the 3 boxes in the right, you can resize em a bit if you want. Align is a pretty good mod to help with aligning things. Also don't like how the left and right set of buffs don't align, there's a gap on the top right. But thats just me.

I would move the battle text further left and right so it doesn't overlap with the blizzard spell alerts (personal preference regarding overlap) and like was stated gag/combine dmg a bit more so its not as spammy.

Plus post a raid screenshot with DBM (or equiv) timers up and any other frames you might have up, we can give more advice there.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Next Raid on Monday, next best thing.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19631605/Addons/UI3.jpg

The updated screenshot looks much better.

However, from a strictly graphical stand-point, some things still aren't aligned properly.

Looking at your Buffs. Their upper edge should cut the upper edge of the Minimap. Your Aspect bar should then be moved down to mirror the other side, and along with it your Grid would have to move slightly. They'd also have to be pushed further into the screen to align with your chatbox at the bottom (Aspect bar and Grid).

Your Buffs is smaller than your average Action Button. It'd make sense if they'd match, yes?

You would then move your chatbox and Omen/Recount down to share the same distance from the screen's edge, as the top of your UI items (Minimap, Buffs, Aspect bar).

Something else you might want to try out, is have your combat text bend, like your HP/Resource HUD. Might look neat. There's an option for that in MSBT.

Personally I would also switch the position of your Omen and Recount, to favour Omen mid-fight. You want what's most important closest to the middle of your screen. Threat has a higher priority than DPS statistics. - I'd still move your 'mid-clutter' a bit further down. Just to separate it from your character.

- Without going into fonts, that's really all I can think of at this very moment. Good luck.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2011-03-26 at 07:43 AM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    @ the alignment and spacing, that will be perfect, just getting the xy coords correct for my lua frames (like the chat frames.) As for button size and buff size, that really wouldnt work out for me utility wise.

Everything except HuD (which I dont have <3) is valid.

Recount > Omen is a personal choice, as our tanks are fine unless its pull so I feel my eyes can truly wander to omen for the first 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Naphta View Post
    Everything except HuD (which I dont have <3) is valid.
    Just out of curiosity, then what exactly is the Green/Yellow circle around you? Figured it had to be some meter of sorts.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's WeakAuras, a replacement or alternative to Power Auras, I've just replaced it with ClassTimers anyway, looking at the colors I can see where you were coming from.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imo. You should remove all of those black panels that you have, there's no real need for them and they just block the game world.
    Get the same skin on your buffs that you have on your actionbars then set the spacing to be the same as well.
    The font on your actionbars for the cooldowns are not the same as the rest of the UI. As well as the stats you're showing on your minimap. Get one font and stick with it
    On your unitframes you're showing some debuffs down the bottom right of the target. Is that needed if you're using class timers as well?

There'd be more from me but I don't want to overhaul you with a lot of things at once. UIs take time and you'll get there eventually, maybe. I'm still not happy with any of my UIs lol
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-03-26 at 02:04 PM.

I love it already

Yep its looking much better, and +1 for weak auras woohoo.