10+ Year Old Account

Pvp Gemming question

Hey guys, so on my warrior i gem in yello slots - Stength-Crit gems... but i see alot just gemming resil in yellow slots.

Why is this?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's better ....

Don't take what I say as law because I'm a PvE guy myself, but I do have a full PvP set that I like to enjoy from time to time.

From what i've seen, Yellow is Resil, Red is Str Resil, and Blue is Str Stam.

That's how I gem my PvP set.

Deleted
    Because the way resilience works right now, the higher you stack it the more you benefit from it. This if nothing else is a reason why Blizzard is making changes to the stat, in 4.1 I believe. 3k resi is kk, and 4k+ you're pretty much approaching immortal. At that point it takes some pretty clever playing to actually kill a person who has an active healer keeping them up.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not entirely correct. Yes, they will change/fix the scaling, but no, that is not why resilience is better to gem than anything else. Resilience is simply better to gem because the survivability you get per point of resilience is better in Arena vs the damage/survivability you get from any other stat - in a gem slot. Especially as a warrior.

- Alot of people also pick main stat + 20 resilience gem, instead of a gem with only resilience.
    Last edited by Sanju; 2011-03-26 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Because the way resilience works right now, the higher you stack it the more you benefit from it. This if nothing else is a reason why Blizzard is making changes to the stat, in 4.1 I believe. 3k resi is kk, and 4k+ you're pretty much approaching immortal. At that point it takes some pretty clever playing to actually kill a person who has an active healer keeping them up.
    Pretty much. I believe the change will make it so that resilience doesn't pass a certain percentage of damage reduction. So once you get to 30%( I think) there's nothing more you can do but go for strength, crit or stam

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanju View Post
    Not entirely correct. Yes, they will change/fix the scaling, but no, that is not why resilience is better to gem than anything else. Resilience is simply better to gem because the survivability you get per point of resilience is better in Arena vs the damage/survivability you get from any other stat - in a gem slot. Especially as a warrior.
    Aye, this was actually a point I was trying to make; at the moment resilience stacks too well and continues to stack better the more you have it. The change should make resilience less desirable, then perhaps proper damage gems, at higher levels. I'm not sure of the exact figures, so I can't be sure how it will pan out.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The change will be that resilience will be completely linear.

When something is linear, it works like this:

(I'm just making up numbers here, it's not 100% correct)

1000 resilience = 10% reduction
    2000 resilience = 20% reduction
    3000 resilience = 30% reduction
    4000 resilience = 40% reduction

The way it is now, is that it's not linear. The more you get, the more you benefit from it. Something like this:

1000 resilience = 10% reduction
    2000 resilience = 22% reduction
    3000 resilience = 35% reduction
    4000 resilience = 48% reduction

Again, this is not accurate, it's just to show it easy without a graph. Search google for a linear and an exponentially increasing graph, and you'll see how it works.

The thing that I personally think will change, is that people will gem Yellow sockets with 20str/20resi, instead of pure resi. Or 20int/20resi, 20agi/20resi. Resilience will always beat a secondary stat, I can't imagine anything else. For most classes their main stat is 2x or sometimes even 3x better than their best secondary stat. (Other than hit ofcourse, but that's easily capped)

But then again, alot of people already prefer 20str/20resi over a 40 resi gem